Howto: Adding more padding to front seats

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
globecanvas said:
flamaest said:
Hello everybody,

I was able to install some high density foam in the form of two different sheets, side by side, using the video provided by the user who started this thread.

I picked up two of what appears to be the same gardening knee pad that you show in your photo for comparison purposes, at the local Rite Aid, for $2 each. The brand is Bloom and the size is about 7-1/4" by 14". They are exactly the right size to slip under the seat cushion, one on either side of the seat heating wire, with no cutting required.

I did this modification today. It cost $4, took about 10 minutes, required no tools, and is completely reversible, It completely fixes the uncomfortable seat problem.

Do you remember how thick these pads were? I am trying to decide how much "lift" I should look into adding to the seats -- 1 inch? 1/2 inch? 1-1/2 inch? 2 inch?

Normally, half-inch is about enough. If you go much thicker than 1 inch then you will start to notice deformities in the top of the seat after it's installed.

scbolt said:
Do you remember how thick these pads were? I am trying to decide how much "lift" I should look into adding to the seats -- 1 inch? 1/2 inch? 1-1/2 inch? 2 inch?

The pads were about 1/2" thick. More than that would have been difficult to fit the seat upholstery over.

Thanks for posting instructions on this. I'm also hoping that Chevy will step up and do this fix. Here's a petition if anybody wants to sign it:
https://www.change.org/p/general-motors-fix-the-chevy-bolt-s-front-seats

Instead of adding foam, I ripped out foam from the side skirts of the seat bottom. That makes the seat bottom wider and flatter. It is easy to do and quick: just unclip the sides and poke in a finger to start ripping foam.

After this this 'foam-o-suction' the seat is actually quite comfortable, because the main problem is the side pressure of the narrow seat.

While following these instructions I figured out why some people are having left hip pain. There is a huge bolt sticking out. See my post: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7293

globecanvas said:
scbolt said:

The pads were about 1/2" thick. More than that would have been difficult to fit the seat upholstery over.

Any problem stretching the upholstery and reattaching the clips?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
globecanvas said:
scbolt said:

Any problem stretching the upholstery and reattaching the clips?

No, it was no problem.

Just a thought..

I see that some people have used foam garden kneeling pads..

Are there any concerns around fire retardance and the heated seats?

If you are putting it under the other foam, does it matter?

Just want to make sure I don't make things too much worse if I try.. ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

The seat heaters don't get hot enough to ignite flammable foam that is under flame-resistant foam. A tossed lit cigarette might.

Back