Hello from ChargePoint!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Or a contract with Chargepoint. Their business model is to provide the charging stations, the charge cards to the customers, manage the whole thing. For a fee.

I would suggest a cost of much more than the actual electric price.

Of course you're right, and I thought about that too, but it still costs money to feed the red tape. Governments find ways to make things that are free & simple - expensive & complex. It's what they do.

At least for now, L2 in our city needs to be free. Installing 100 free L2 charging sites would serve as 100 little billboards, and raise awareness that their is an alternative to the status quo. We have a lot of outdoor hockey rinks that cost a lot to build, and maintain. Not all people in our city use them, so you could make the case that building & maintaining them is "unfair" to a number of our taxpayers. Just as hockey rinks are "free" to use, so too should be L2 charging stations.

EV's are largely misunderstood in my city, which is the biggest reason very few people drive them. Putting up barriers like charging for L2 may appease opponents of public charging - but the side effect becomes (another) reason to discourage the misinformed public from considering an EV (or people like me from using them). That benefits no one.

There is a desperate need to get some DC chargers between Atlanta and Florida. Millions of families drive to Florida every year on vacation, but they can't realistically do it in a Bolt.

Going South, the last DC charging station on I-75 is in Perry, GA. The next one is in Gainesville, FL. That's WAY too far for a Bolt.

We need stations in Tifton, GA and Valdosta, GA along I-75. Otherwise, Mickey is completely out of reach.

We wanted to update this thread to let you all know that we've recently introduced tap to charge for iPhone, Android, and Apple Watch!

To use this new feature, all you need to do is hold your phone (with the ChargePoint app installed) against any ChargePoint station to start charging. See how it works in the video below.

https://youtu.be/10jozoPlSgk

You can read more about the new feature on this LA Times article: http://lat.ms/2hDJJn4
Or on the ChargePoint blog: http://bit.ly/2xH5rNo

ChargePoint said:
We wanted to update this thread to let you all know that we've recently introduced tap to charge for iPhone, Android, and Apple Watch!

For those of you who have the ChargePoint app already, all you have to do to make use of the new "tap to charge" feature is activate NFC (near field communications) on your phone.

I haven't tried it yet but, if you do, the FAQs say that you have to HOLD (not just "tap") the back of the phone against the scanner on the charger to make the connection.

FWIW, there some good reasons NOT to turn NFC on, including security and battery use concerns. See: Why You Should Disable NFC On Your Smartphone

I don't like using my phone as a payment device, so I have chosen to keep NFC off and not use this feature of the app. I will just continue to use my ChargePoint card whenever I need to use one of their chargers.

That article says NFC is only on Android, not Apple. But Apple has Apple Pay in the Wallet app, which you can set to not work unless you unlock the phone first. I use it all the time. Not sure if it will interfere with ChargePoint app, but then I'll also just use my ChargePoint card. Works right through my actual leather wallet which I just hold up to the station.

So, ChargePoint, does your app connect to Apple wallet? How does it work?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, ChargePoint, does your app connect to Apple wallet? How does it work?

Don't forget to check out the link to our blog for more info! http://bit.ly/2xH5rNo

If you're using an iPhone:
- In the ChargePoint app: go to Menu > Account > Manage Cards.
- Pick "set it up,” add your ChargePoint pass to Apple Wallet and place your phone on the station to charge.

If you're using an Apple Watch:
- Double-click the side button + hold your watch close to the reader.
- Wait until you feel a gentle tap, then you’re ready to charge.

And for tips on adding cards to Apple Wallet, here's their help page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204506

Um, I have several friends who still work for Apple, and they have been doing this for quite a while. Maybe Apple, Inc was a beta tester?

(Edit : Oops, if that was privileged info, tell me and I will erase. Just flag this post.)

Charging at home can be tricky if you live in a condo and have to get approval from your HOA to charge.

We've had hundreds of conversations with EV drivers to provide you with simple tips that will make it easy for your HOA to say “yes!” to your EV charging request.

You'll find our top 3 tips for negotiating with your HOA and a free eBook on condo charging, on the ChargePoint blog: http://bit.ly/ChargePointHOA

ChargePoint_HOA_yes.jpg

We're honored to have had the opportunity to partner with Associa to share and explore how getting around in gas cars affects emissions and local air quality.

We also offer information on how HOA board members can help make a difference by promoting alternative transit in their community.

You can find the full post here, on the Associa website: http://bit.ly/AssociaChargePoint

aHViPTY2NDY1JmNtZD1pdGVtZWRpdG9yaW1hZ2UmZmlsZW5hbWU9aXRlbWVkaXRvcmltYWdlXzU5ZmI4OTdmNjY4YTcuanBnJnZlcnNpb249MDAwMCZzaWc9YjFhYjljYTQ2MGVmYmQ5YTJkODRkOGNkZTA1ODk1NzU%253D

Is your HOA board enabling your community to reduce emissions and improve air quality?

Hey ChargePoint, I have a question/recommendation.
I figure you guys are familiar with the West Coast Electric Highway in Oregon (and WA, I'm in Oregon)? (That's not my question yet!!) ;-)

It basically allowed me to get into an EV earlier than I normally could have. As I have 120 mile round trip commute, in a Nissan Leaf, I needed to stop and charge daily (multiple times when my range dropped). So I got my kindle and got some good reading done while I charged.
And that worked well for 3 years.
So thank you to the West Coast Electric Highway (and one of your competitors) for that!!!

But I had always told my wife I'd go to a car that could get me to work and back on a charge. The Bolt was my choice, and I am happy with that in the weeks I've owned it.
But, the Bolt is CCS Combo. There are a few CCS Combo chargers where I work and up/down the I5 (some are 25Kw destination chargers, which are great for that).
But there are zero CCS combo chargers up/down the Coast Highway. And a lot of the ones around I5 are 25Kw destination chargers, which I think are fine for getting some charge while someone is shopping. But not really there for people travelling. 100Kw would be better.

Now, there is apparently some money from Volkswagen for infrastructure floating around..
(You might see where I am heading with this)

I think the West Coast Electric Highway locations are fairly well laid out and spaced, but there are zero CCS combos there. I like what the current company has done with them, and they have been really reliable, but I get the feeling that the company isn't interested in expanding that.

(my question is HERE)
So, wouldn't it be great if you could partner with Oregon/Washington and add your chargers there (or replace the current ones)?
There should be some VW money to help, and if you guys could get some 100Kw chargers around, that would be an awesome start.
Now, it doesn't have to be part of the same plan. I think the $20/month for unlimited has been great, but not as necessary anymore.
So maybe you join that plan (with help from Federal/VW money or whatever), or maybe you just add your chargers to those locations and there is a new plan? Maybe some grandfathering, transferring of plans, whatever...
That part is murky to me.. ;-)
But the part about the West Coast Electric Highway needing CCS Combo and VW money being available (I would hope) just seems to make sense to me, so...

Opportunity, Meet ChargePoint!!! ;-) ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

I went to visit family in the bay area last weekend and ChargePoint was a life saver. My mother-in-law lives in Los Gatos, just off Lark Ave, so I actually used your HQ chargers overnight. Very happy. I left my car in your lot and it wasn't molested, disturbed or ticketed. In the morning almost all of your 30+ charging stations were occupied, but I was topped off and ready to roll. You might have seen me, I was the new Bolt on the end early Friday morning. Just wanted to say Thank You! I also noticed you're installing a bunch of chargers at the hospital across the freeway from you, I'll be using those next time I'm up there I think (if I take the Bolt).

The point of my comment is: You need more chargers in Arroyo Grande California and Nipomo California. You also need more Level 3 chargers along 101 between Pismo Beach and San Jose. The few I did find, either didn't work at all (Cool Hand Luke's in Paso Robles), or were slow (11kw in Northridge in Salinas), or not enough ports (Keefers in King City). I actually got the best output off an EVGo station in Gilroy (33kw) but it was limited to 30 minutes and it shut off.

When traveling a Level 3 charger is almost mandatory. It's just unsustainable to charge for an hour and only get 25 miles of juice. Level 2 chargers are great if you can leave the car parked overnight or for 4+ hours, but they're useless on anything more than 200 miles of travel.

Happy to share another discount with the My Chevy Bolt community, just in time for the holiday season.
Treat yourself to faster home charging with 15% off ChargePoint Home, until December 22nd: http://bit.ly/ChargePointHomeSale

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. :)

desiv said:
But the part about the West Coast Electric Highway needing CCS Combo and VW money being available (I would hope) just seems to make sense to me, so...

Opportunity, Meet ChargePoint!!! ;-) ;-)

Thanx,

desiv

Hi!
Recently, Anne Smart, our VP for public policy at ChargePoint, spoke to Axios about three things the industry is working on, including using the "Environmental Mitigation Trust" money - a combined $2.7 billion from the federal settlement with VW. You'll find the article with Axios, here: http://bit.ly/2ztAPMV :)

Just ordered a ChargePoint Home EVSE from Home Depot. Question: how does it recognize my wireless network and where do I input its password? That will probably become apparent to me once I get it and install it, but I just thought I'd ask. Do you regularly roll out software upgrades for it? Will I be able to set the price I'm paying for electricity? I'm going to install it at work so I want to input the commercial rate (in case the boss wants to charge me for juice).

Great looking design! I can't wait to get it hung. (delivery estimate Dec 7)

SmokingRubber said:
Just ordered a ChargePoint Home EVSE from Home Depot. Question: how does it recognize my wireless network and where do I input its password? That will probably become apparent to me once I get it and install it, but I just thought I'd ask. Do you regularly roll out software upgrades for it? Will I be able to set the price I'm paying for electricity? I'm going to install it at work so I want to input the commercial rate (in case the boss wants to charge me for juice).

Great looking design! I can't wait to get it hung. (delivery estimate Dec 7)

Congratulations on your new ChargePoint Home! We offer more information to get you up to speed quickly, here: https://www.chargepoint.com/products/home/ and on our Home Questions & Answers page as well, here: https://www.chargepoint.com/products/home/general/

Don't miss out on deeper discounts! The ChargePoint Home is the only home EV charger the works with Nest and is ENERGY STAR certified. Now offering 20% off until 12/22! http://bit.ly/ChargePointHomeSale

5nkro0.jpg

Happy New Year, My Chevy Bolt community!

2018 brings with it new features for the ChargePoint app, and a new integration for ChargePoint Home with Amazon Echo!
Here's a quick summary via Engadget: http://bit.ly/CPEngadget

CP_Blog_Alexa_quote_0.jpg

Also, we've recently introduced station photos on the ChargePoint app. We hope these new features make it even easier for drivers to find stations, charge up and get updates on their charging status.

You'll find everything you need to know about voice control through Alexa, and the new app features over on the ChargePoint Blog: http://bit.ly/CP-Alexa

Cheers,

Ro H.
ChargePoint Community

ChargePoint said:
Cheers,

Ro H.
ChargePoint Community

Dear ChargePoint,

Up until 3 weeks ago, your app, service, billing, maps, etc. have been virtually flawless.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed I was not being billed for charging at stations that had previously always charged a fee, plus, all over the state of California, I’m finding it is hit or miss if my charging sessions even get logged at all. (Many are adverised as free, but even at free stations my kWh have previously always been recorded in the app for monthly totals, etc.)

Are you guys aware of system or network trouble?

I am also curious if at some point in the future will I be billed all at once for power used, but not yet added to my account?

Your services always worked in real-time in the past.
I was billed for power used only moments after disconnecting from a station. Have you made changes to the way things work?

P.S. Also, at an office park I freqently charge at, it is set up to email you with a message such as: “Your 4 hour maximum charging time has expired. Please move your car within 15 minutes.” Well, sometimes I get those emails and sometimes I don’t. It could be my email, but I don’t think so. I think the problem is on your end, since along with no email, there is no status, and no kWh used, etc. And other times it DOES work.

gpsman said:
ChargePoint said:
Cheers,

Ro H.
ChargePoint Community

Dear ChargePoint,

Up until 3 weeks ago, your app, service, billing, maps, etc. have been virtually flawless.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed I was not being billed for charging at stations that had previously always charged a fee, plus, all over the state of California, I’m finding it is hit or miss if my charging sessions even get logged at all. (Many are adverised as free, but even at free stations my kWh have previously always been recorded in the app for monthly totals, etc.)

Are you guys aware of system or network trouble?

I am also curious if at some point in the future will I be billed all at once for power used, but not yet added to my account?

Your services always worked in real-time in the past.
I was billed for power used only moments after disconnecting from a station. Have you made changes to the way things work?

P.S. Also, at an office park I freqently charge at, it is set up to email you with a message such as: “Your 4 hour maximum charging time has expired. Please move your car within 15 minutes.” Well, sometimes I get those emails and sometimes I don’t. It could be my email, but I don’t think so. I think the problem is on your end, since along with no email, there is no status, and no kWh used, etc. And other times it DOES work.

Hi!
This is an interesting scenario you've shared! Our team will have a few more questions to ask about what you're experiencing, so I'd suggest calling our 24/7 driver support line at 1-888-758-4389 when you can! If it's more convenient, you can also send us a message (here: https://na.chargepoint.com/guest/chargepoint_help) so that our team can learn more about what you're experiencing with those records. :)

Back