Flaky bluetooth continues...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

Boltpals:

Love my Bolt. Really do. I continue to have bluetooth flakiness. I have an iPhone 7 with all the updates. My Bolt is a late December '16 build, so I have one of the Bolts where I can remove the fuse and eliminate the low speed buzzer...but that is another story.

My head unit is usually OK, but often will drop the bluetooth connection to the phone, and then immediately resume it. Also, intermittently when I initiate a call from the touch screen it will start, and then crash and reboot the head unit. Very annoying. There is a TSB on that, so I took the car into Chevy in March, and they did the software update and presumably the firmware update. Problem persists. So, I took it back yesterday to make sure they had done the firmware. They had. So, no change. They gave me a form to fill out, and I can take the car back to have them talk with the technical support team, but I think I will pass. I doubt this is a problem with my particular head unit, and is likely a software/firmware issue for all the head units.

For those of you who experienced this, did the firmware update solve your problems? Thoughts here?

Having similar issue on this end:

- bluetooth disconnects then reconnects frequently

Plus:

- when making/receiving calls, I can hear them but they can't hear me

Haven't tried bringing the Bolt to the dealership yet, but have tried restoring factory settings on the car's Infotainment system, clearing the data of my phone's bluetooth settings, un-pairing & re-pairing, etc but still no resolution...

If there are any more insights out there to share, they'd be much appreciated ;)

Is there anything else nearby, in the car, etc that's using 2.4 ghz? Bluetooth is pretty good about interference, but nothing is completely immune. The thing to do would be to test it with somebody else's phone. Alternatively, maybe the bluetooth radio in your iphone is squirrely. Trust me, it's a possibility. It passed factory QC because it didn't fail the time that they tested it.

I have a Galaxy S5, using Android Auto, and one thing I notice is that the head unit gets irritated when I leave the phone plugged in while I turn the car off, exit, and return to the car. All sorts of whining about setting up keypass, etc. My point is that I'm not entirely sure that the bluetooth in the head unit is set up to "fail" in gracefully in all cases. I will say that one thing that REALLY pisses the thing off is when you plug in the phone while a call is in progress. That often ends in me rebooting both the phone AND the head unit.

Another question - What IS the latest version of the head unit firmware? I don't at all trust the "You are up to date!" screen. It looks more like a "Can't verify anything, nobody's gonna die from this thing not working, don't bother us, we're awesome and our shit don't stink!" kind of message.

I had a similar situation with my 7+. Every now and again, BT would disconnect while playing music, then reconnect.

I’ve since swapped to the iPhone X and so far (since 11/03 anyway) no BT issues. Fingers crossed, haha!!

Pigwich said:
What IS the latest version of the head unit firmware?
The latest version I have seen mentioned anywhere, and the version that's installed in my Bolt which was manufactured at the end of September, is 14.1.0

jf64k said:
I had a similar situation with my 7+. Every now and again, BT would disconnect while playing music, then reconnect.

I’ve since swapped to the iPhone X and so far (since 11/03 anyway) no BT issues. Fingers crossed, haha!!

Me too with my iPhone 7. Even worse - the audio volume when playing via BT is always very low. So I crank up the volume on the radio. Suddenly, without warning, the BT disconnects and then defaults back to AM radio VERY LOUDLY.

I now have the X. Hoping this issue goes away.

Hi all,

Anyone aware of whether the dealership (or OnStar?) can reset the infotainment system *more* extensively/effectively than we can (by simply going to "Settings", "Return to Factory Settings")?

Because the glitch where every single bluetooth/hands-free call is disconnected mid-call is heinously irritating and the standard factory reset isn't correcting it.

Have to believe it's this particular vehicle and not the phone, as I troubleshooted via another Bolt recently and made calls normally.

Software is updated to the latest version, 14.1.0

I finally got the mysterious update today
14.4.2 is the version that I got, from 13.4.0

It took a while to explain the receptionist at the dealer what I really want and what's not working ))

Visibly there are a few changes

the AA screen is not shrinked any more

the camera button works now even if you don't drive,
you can push the button and it comes up

The rest of glitches remain to be seen if they're gone.
I will update later.
My main problem was that AA phone would not work together with another USB port occupied by USB drive
or Audio input was used. BT disconnect on its own.

It was freezing a lot too.

here is the technical info form the dealer printout
Controller
A11

Id

Current # 45564426
Selected # 426150225

New software to address numerous issues including potential froze/blank display
and audio screen displaying at unwanted times.
Note: Once this software is installed, video icon will be disabled and Android Auto screen Resolution will be changed
------------
BTW
how do you know when the car was made?

Back