BOLT SEAT ISSUE - DATA COLLECTION & REPORT HERE

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sgt1372 said:
SeanNelson said:
sgt1372 said:
I have no complaints about comfort but I just noticed that the fabric on the left edge of the driver's seat near the seam is starting to fray.
So by "fabric" I take it that you have an LT with the cloth seats?
That's what I said in the second line of my post above before I used the word "fabric."
DUH! :oops: :oops: :oops:

sgt1372 said:
Don't recall reading about this particular seat complaint yet. So, here goes.

Leased my Bolt LT w/cloth seats in Feb 2017. Drive it only about 10-15 miles a day, 5 days/wk. Usually 2-3 stops per trip.

I have no complaints about comfort but I just noticed that the fabric on the left edge of the driver's seat near the seam is starting to fray.

Nothing serious yet, just a few loose threads, but it's only been 8 months of limited use and is a cause for concern.

If I owned the car, I'd probably buy seat covers but, since I lease it, I'm just going to let it go and hope that a hole doesn't develop b4 I turn it in.

Just for comparison, my 15 yr old MR2 has cloth seats and, despite some obvious surface wear along the outer edge of the driver's seat, the seat fabric still has not frayed or developed a hole in it.

On the other hand, I had a 2007 FJ Cruiser w/cloth seats that was 10 yrs old when I traded it in on the Bolt. The driver's seat was frayed and had developed a hole along the left edge of the seat back.

My impression is that the fabric used on the Bolt seat is less durable than that used on the MR2 and FJ seats.

Just something to keep an eye on if you also have cloth seats in your Bolt.

I would bring that premature fabric wear to the dealer’s attention as a manufacturering defect, and ask that it be repaired under warranty. Otherwise, you’ll probably be on the hook for the repair at lease-end.

No seat should be fraying after less than a year of use. If the dealer balks, escalate with Chevy and GM, those reps have the ability to authorize dealer repairs, and I’ll bet they’re already very familiar with the shortcomings of these seats.

TimBolt said:
sgt1372 said:
Don't recall reading about this particular seat complaint yet. So, here goes.

Leased my Bolt LT w/cloth seats in Feb 2017. Drive it only about 10-15 miles a day, 5 days/wk. Usually 2-3 stops per trip.

Nothing serious yet, just a few loose threads, but it's only been 8 months of limited use and is a cause for concern.

If I owned the car, I'd probably buy seat covers but, since I lease it, I'm just going to let it go and hope that a hole doesn't develop b4 I turn it in.

Just for comparison, my 15 yr old MR2 has cloth seats and, despite some obvious surface wear along the outer edge of the driver's seat, the seat fabric still has not frayed or developed a hole in it.

On the other hand, I had a 2007 FJ Cruiser w/cloth seats that was 10 yrs old when I traded it in on the Bolt. The driver's seat was frayed and had developed a hole along the left edge of the seat back.

My impression is that the fabric used on the Bolt seat is less durable than that used on the MR2 and FJ seats.

Just something to keep an eye on if you also have cloth seats in your Bolt.

I would bring that premature fabric wear to the dealer’s attention as a manufacturering defect, and ask that it be repaired under warranty. Otherwise, you’ll probably be on the hook for the repair at lease-end.

No seat should be fraying after less than a year of use. If the dealer balks, escalate with Chevy and GM, those reps have the ability to authorize dealer repairs, and I’ll bet they’re already very familiar with the shortcomings of these seats.

It's not that bad (just a few loose threads that I cut off. Not worth the trouble to take it to the dealer to argue about something you can't even see anymore.

I've leased a lot of cars and I returned a Prius w/fabric seats that were separating on the side (a common problem) w/o getting a charge back for that.

However, if it does become serious enough, I will take it to the desler to point it out, so thst it's noted on the service record even if they can't or won't repair it.

1. Model
- Premier

2. When bought
- Nov 1, 2017

3. Last 5 of your VIN (if you want actual tracking done by GM)

4. A picture or two if you want/need to
5. Your size/height
5'11" - 275 pounds

6. Very brief summary of where you see the issue, a few details, etc
Left side of seat padding presses uncomfortably on the outer edge of my left leg.

7. Verdict: Good/Bad? Etc
Bad

1. Model
LT
2. When bought
11/2017
10/17 Build Date
5. Your size/height
5'11", 190lbs
No Issues
Good. Perhaps whoever makes the seat finally fixed their QC issues? Haven't had any issues now after doing some long drives. I wish the seat back was shaped differently, but no major pains and none of the hip pain issues or ability to feel the seat frame like others have reported.

1. Model: LT
2. When bought: 07/ 03/2018
3. Last 5 of your VIN: 32169
4. Build Date: 05/18
5. Your size/height: Large framed 313 lb. 6'-2" tall male
6. Very brief summary: Seat's frame is too narrow, not positioned well and not padded enough.
7. Verdict: Unacceptable - The driver's seat of my 2018 Chevy Bolt ev LT is too narrow, not positioned well and not padded enough. While driving it I am forced to sit on the left edge of the frame of the seat. This becomes very uncomfortable and painful after a short while. While driving I am sitting on the bruise, which has developed, on the back of my left leg. This of course hurts even more because I am now sitting on a soar bruise.

The 20 minute test drive I took was not long enough to make this issue noticeable. The various sales people I dealt with on my several visits to the dealership, could see my size and stature. They were certainly aware of the small, scarcely padded, improperly positioned seat yet I was not warned by anyone of the possibility of a potential problem.

The position of the seat is also part of the problem. It is too close to the center console, which interferes with my right thigh. I can't sit properly in the seat because the console forces me to the left of it's center. If the seat were moved an inch or two to the left, for which there is plenty of room, there would be room for my right thigh and I would be able to sit in it's center. I feel trapped because I am stuck with a car, which I otherwise really love, but can't drive more than 15 or 20 miles at a time without enduring considerable pain.

I choose the Bolt because of it's SUV style and shape. I assumed it had the ability to accommodate big and tall people which it otherwise does. It has big doors a high roof and a chair like seating position which provides more than adequate head and leg room. I was so overwhelmed by all that is new and different in the revolutionary, all electric Bolt that I wasn't at all aware of something as basic as it's seats. Who would have expected this car to have such small and under padded seats? OUCH! :x

I suggest Chevrolet offer larger and more padded seats on new Bolts. They might also consider moving the position of the driver's seat, with some sort of adapter or bracket, one or two inches to the left. These up grades might be offered as retrofits to earlier models. They might put smiles on the faces of those like me who feel wronged by Chevrolet.
8. My Chevy Bolt Forum User Name: ProVega350

1. Model: 2018 Premier,
2. When bought: 08/20/2018
3. Last 5 of your VIN: 35265
4. Build Date: don't know
5. Your size/height: 5'11", 180# male
6. Very brief summary: My left thigh and the seat are not happy with each other. My guess is that the padding on the left is a bit different from the padding on the right. I know the stitching is different.
7. Verdict: Not sure. I might get used to it. Not enough miles driven to be sure.
8. My Chevy Bolt Forum User Name: broosth

For whatever it is worth, just after purchasing the Bolt, I spent 12 days driving a rental Malibu. Its driver seat bugged by left thigh in a similar fashion.

Has anyone been successful in getting a warranty repair or replacement of the drivers seat?

broosth said:
Has anyone been successful in getting a warranty repair or replacement of the drivers seat?
New 2019 version has new seats and new suspension. Harass GM and maybe they will replace the seats for you with the new ones (go sit in them first). Try to have GM "fix" the old ones 3x then claim lemon law.

Otherwise it's on you.

1. Model
- LT

2. When bought
- Sept 2018

5. Your size/height
6'1" - 190 pounds

Overall can't find a comfortable seat position. Prior car was a 2006 Scion xB with buckets seats. Those were very comfortable and wrapped you. These are thin and flat, the upper back and neck support seems intentionally poor.

Bad, I logged into the forum to see if anyone has attempted replacing them entirely.

2018 Chevy Bolt LT
Seats are extremely uncomfortable - objectively. When compared to any new vehicle including those that are in a lower price bracket these seats come in last.

Back