MyChevrolet app notifications not working

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiv

Dear Chevrolet :

in the MyChevrolet app:
I've set an e-mail address and a phone number..
I've turned on notifications for charge interruption and completion.

I've tried text AND e-mail notifications.

The app lets me save my settings. If I enable text and save, when I go back in, it shows text. If I change it to e-mail and save.
Go back in, it says e-mail.

So the app seems to be working.

I can turn on preconditioning with no problem.
I can usually get updates on the status (sometimes it takes a few tries to actually get an update).

But I have never received a text or e-mail for any notification.

Oh, and I've tried this at home in my garage, and I just tried it at a public charger outside..

Is this a Chevy thing?
Is this an OnStar thing?
Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Pointers on where I should go next for help?

Thanx

Desi

Just talking to myself.. ;-)

Quick update..

I pressed the OnStar button to ask..
They transferred me to the section that handles Chevy Communications or something like that.. ;-)

The guy couldn't fix it, so he opened a ticket. We'll see what happens..

But 2 things he said intrigued me..

1: The "Charge Complete" notification only happens when the charge is really complete, and by that I mean, if you have Hilltop set, apparently you won't get notified that your Hilltop charge is complete, because that is not full.. Hmmm..
2: The requirements for "Charge Interrupted" involved the alarm going off. So if I didn't have the alarm go off, I wouldn't get a message about interruption?? I haven't tested this, but that means that if someone unplugs me from the wall outlet, and not from the car (and that doesn't trigger the alarm.. ???), then I wouldn't be notified that the charge was interrupted?

Luckily for me, I had forgotten to unlock the car before I headed out for lunch when I unplugged, and the alarm went off...
But still no notification... So I still met the requirements..

But those 2 seem a bit odd?
I won't be notified when my car is done charging if Hilltop is enabled and I won't be notified if someone unplugs me from the wall (or does unplugging from the wall trigger the alarm??)...

Hmmm..

desiv

Just a quick update..
Haven't heard back from OnStar on this.

I did have a call come in to my cell when I was in a meeting yesterday, but no voice mail so not sure if that was them or not...
This is my first OnStar experience, so we'll see how it goes.. ;-)

desiv

I usually get a notification when my Bolt finishes charging, and I use Hilltop Reserve. Lately the notification system has been a bit unreliable. For instance, yesterday I didn’t get a notification that my Bolt had finished charging, but this morning I did get it, but I didn’t receive the text until an hour after it actually finished.

Poor you - talking to yourself! :)

I just use the App, pulling down the page from time to time to see the charging status.

Well, don't know what to do with other people replying.. ;-)

Positive update..
I still haven't heard from anyone, but an hour after I unplugged (no alarm going off this time), I got my first e-mail notification.
WooHoo..

I think I unplugged the EVSE from the wall before unplugging the J1772 handle too, so that is exactly what I want to be notified about.
(In case someone unplugs the EVSE, as I lock the handle)
I kind of thought those rules were pretty restrictive.. (The alarm has to go off, etc..)

So it looks to be better/working..

I'll see what it does tomorrow morning when its done charging to Hilltop.

Then I'll try swapping to text notifications...

Yay!

desiv

desiv said:
So it looks to be better/working..
Uh Oh, now I am quoting myself.. This is just sad.. ;-) ;-)

Anyway, I might have spoken too soon.

That one e-mail is the only one I have received.
Nothing this morning, but I couldn't pre-heat (kept asking for my PIN and not taking it) or even get a status update, so I think the service was having issues when I was trying..
But nothing today at lunch when I unplugged..

Hmmm..

desiv

I don't use hilltop reserve, and I have mine set to send a txt when charge complete or for charge interruption.

Every time I have charged, at home or away, over the last 6 months as best I can remember I have received a txt saying "charge complete"

When I unplug before it is finished charging, a short time later I receive a txt saying "charge interrupted"

So I can confirm that, at least for me, the settings work as I expected ...

winterescape said:
So I can confirm that, at least for me, the settings work as I expected ...
Now you are just rubbing it in.. ;-)

Kidding..

Thanx, good to know that it can work.. ;-)

desiv

Well, I finally got a call from OnStar today (or voice mail, as I was in a meeting).
9 days after my call.. Hmmm...

Of course, today I don't have my Bolt at work, so I couldn't do any meaningful testing/callbacks.

He said they it appeared to be all fixed and I can call them if there are still issues..

Well, unless they have done something today, I still have only received the 1 e-mail notification on that one day.
Charged multiple times since then, and nothing...

Not sure if it is OnStar or Chevy I am not impressed with so far, but also not sure that matters. ;-)
Of course, it's possible they did something today.
I'll charge tonight and see if I can trigger anything...

desiv

And follow up..
Much better..

If I unplug the EVSE from the wall, I get an e-mail or text!!!

I didn't try unplugging the J1772 first, as I lock it in general and the alarm is set.
That said, I will try that later.

As for charging notifications when it is done at home, we'll see tomorrow.
If I get one, yay!!
If not, I'll turn off hilltop and see the day after...

Closer..
Now, I just have to see which notification type I prefer. I think I generally prefer text, as it is usually quicker, but I get 2 notifications for unplugging it.. So.. Hmmm.. ;-)

Progress!!!

desiv

desiv said:
And follow up..
Much better..

If I unplug the EVSE from the wall, I get an e-mail or text!!!

I didn't try unplugging the J1772 first, as I lock it in general and the alarm is set.
That said, I will try that later.

As for charging notifications when it is done at home, we'll see tomorrow.
If I get one, yay!!
If not, I'll turn off hilltop and see the day after...

Closer..
Now, I just have to see which notification type I prefer. I think I generally prefer text, as it is usually quicker, but I get 2 notifications for unplugging it.. So.. Hmmm.. ;-)

Progress!!!

desiv

Glad that you are making progress! In my experience you only get the "unplugged" notification if charge is interrupted. IE if you get the txt that it has "completed charging" and then you unplug it, no second text.

winterescape said:
Glad that you are making progress! In my experience you only get the "unplugged" notification if charge is interrupted. IE if you get the txt that it has "completed charging" and then you unplug it, no second text.

Well, no "completed charging" message this morning.
My car did have a "Fully Charged" message on the console this morning, so even with Hilltop Mode enabled, the car thinks it was fully charged (for Hilltop), which makes sense.

But no messages... <sigh>

Not sure it's worth calling back tho..

I will disable Hilltop tonight and see if I get a message tomorrow. Would be weird, but...
(After that, I'll probably disable the "charge completed" notification in the app. Save it. Then re-enable it and save it again. Just to see if something is stuck.)

At least I will know if someone unplugs me..

desiv

For what it is worth, I'm using a Samsung S7 and the phone identified the MyChevrolet app as a power hog (more than 3% per hour) and automatically shuts it down to keep it from running in the background unless I manually whitelist it.

desiv said:
But 2 things he said intrigued me..

1: The "Charge Complete" notification only happens when the charge is really complete, and by that I mean, if you have Hilltop set, apparently you won't get notified that your Hilltop charge is complete, because that is not full.. Hmmm..
2: The requirements for "Charge Interrupted" involved the alarm going off. So if I didn't have the alarm go off, I wouldn't get a message about interruption?? I haven't tested this, but that means that if someone unplugs me from the wall outlet, and not from the car (and that doesn't trigger the alarm.. ???), then I wouldn't be notified that the charge was interrupted?

Luckily for me, I had forgotten to unlock the car before I headed out for lunch when I unplugged, and the alarm went off...
But still no notification... So I still met the requirements..

desiv

I’m pretty sure number 1 is not true. I have not utilized hilltop reserve in a long time, but when I did back in march or april I remember it notified me when done. Or, the converse, I would have been upset and remembered NOT being notified. That didn’t happen.

Number 2 is FOR SURE not true. I work in an office just a few feet away from my car. I can both see it and hear it. I get the “charge intereupted” message when the circuit breaker tripped one time, no car alarm, and when the voltage dips for an instant when a 1000 horsepower electric motor starts next door. Again, no car alarm.

In fact, I get the “charge interrupted” message EVERY SINGLE TIME I stop charging. Even when I am the one unplughing the car, with the remote keyfob in my pocket. Now that you mention it, maybe I don’t if I unlock the car first. It is hit or miss if I unlock the car first or unplug first. I do either probably 50/50 so never saw the pattern, but you may be right on that.

I get notified when I unplug the car first or the wall plug first. It does not matter. (You are supposed to unplug the car first.). I get a txt message within 30 seconds every time.

I have AT&T and an iPhone 7plus.

Some people in another thread have stated they wish they knew how old the data was on the myChevy App. When it was last updated. It tells you. On the iPhone version, at least. See photos.

8F636CD2-3BED-421C-9957-E580BC29E283.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A2D1DE6-AD30-4C00-9576-A984F4270D07.jpeg
    1A2D1DE6-AD30-4C00-9576-A984F4270D07.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 6,840
gpsman said:
I’m pretty sure number 1 is not true. I have not utilized hilltop reserve in a long time, but when I did back in march or april I remember it notified me when done. Or, the converse, I would have been upset and remembered NOT being notified. That didn’t happen.
I've heard from several people that it should work with HillTop mode enabled.
I still am not getting "Charge Complete" messages, but I haven't yet turned off HillTop to test that... I keep forgetting. ;-)
I did turn off notifications for "Charge Complete" messages. Saved it. Re-enable it. Saved it..
That didn't kick free any "Charge Complete" messages.

gpsman said:
Number 2 is FOR SURE not true. I work in an office just a few feet away from my car. I can both see it and hear it. I get the “charge intereupted” message when the circuit breaker tripped one time, no car alarm, and when the voltage dips for an instant when a 1000 horsepower electric motor starts next door. Again, no car alarm.
Yeah, now that I am getting some of those messages, I can see they were wrong on that one..

gpsman said:
I have AT&T and an iPhone 7plus.
Yeah, I see you have the "Edit Charge Limit" option, and I don't see that. Wonder if that is iPhone/Android app feature parity.. ;-)

desiv

Back