Tire sealant and compressor kit

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

Has anyone had an opportunity to use the tire sealant and compressor kit to repair a flat? I have read here that some of you say just call OnStar and have the vehicle towed to a tire store. Others say keep a spare tire (not inflated) in the trunk. I have read the users manual on how to use the tire sealant and compressor kit. I have had only one flat tire in the last 50 years, so I doubt this will be a problem in the future, but am just curious since I have never been without a spare before.

I bought the kit but haven't used it yet. Would have to buy a new sealant canister if I did.

I have very low expectations for it and would use it only if I was stranded, could not reach a tow service and had no other choice.

The OEM tires with the self-sealing goo built into them may take care of many situations where spraying the sealant goo into the tire would work.

But the kit with the sealant goo may be more likely to be helpful if you choose different tires without the self-sealing goo built into them.

Tarrngtn said:
Has anyone had an opportunity to use the tire sealant and compressor kit to repair a flat? I have read here that some of you say just call OnStar and have the vehicle towed to a tire store. Others say keep a spare tire (not inflated) in the trunk. I have read the users manual on how to use the tire sealant and compressor kit. I have had only one flat tire in the last 50 years, so I doubt this will be a problem in the future, but am just curious since I have never been without a spare before.
You probably heard about keeping an uninflated tire in the trunk from me. I did that because the wheels I ordered for my snow tires didn't arrive and so I ended up putting them onto the original rims. That left me with the unmounted summer tires, one of which I put into the car.

I've now received the wheels (the same ones as those that came with the car) and had the original summer tires mounted on them. So I can now state that an inflated full sized stock tire on a stock wheel actually does fit into the lower cargo area with the "false floor" fitting normally above it. So there's no need to be without a "real" spare if you want one.

SeanNelson said:
I've now received the wheels (the same ones as those that came with the car) and had the original summer tires mounted on them. So I can now state that an inflated full sized stock tire on a stock wheel actually does fit into the lower cargo area with the "false floor" fitting normally above it. So there's no need to be without a "real" spare if you want one.

Of course, it would also help to have a jack and wrench as well if you carry a spare.

In Canada the patch kit comes with the Bolt at no additional cost.....just like the fast charger. I recently mounted my winters tires on the oem rims. If I get a flat this winter I’ve got the kit to repair it. No spare required.

LeftieBiker said:
A plug kit is probably a better investment than the sealant kit - and much cheaper.

Actually, if you want to be fully prepared, you need both a plug kit and a sealant kit w/a compressor.

I've got a ViAir compressor, a 20# CO2 tank and full-sized plug kit sold by Power Tank that I use to carry when I did a lot of off-road driving. Often used the CO2 tank for airing up (after airing down) but never had to use the plug kit. However, a plug kit is useless unless you know how to use it. I did/do.

If you plug a tire on the road, you will need a compressor to refill the tire w/air. If you don't have a compressor, a canister of sealant should suffice to get you far enough to get the tire properly repaired. If not, without a suitable spare, your only option would be a tow.

Most plug kits are adequate. It isn't a very high-tech item.

Actually, if you want to be fully prepared, you need both a plug kit and a sealant kit w/a compressor.

I assume you mean a can of sealant? Sure, why not, as long as it promises to not ruin the TPMS sensor. Carrying a plug kit, CO2 cartridge, can of sealant, and a compressor may be more than most will bother to do. I carry the plug kit and compressor (plus the sealant I won't use), plus, heh, a spare tire I added, jack and tire iron. ;-)

boltage said:
SeanNelson said:
Of course, it would also help to have a jack and wrench as well if you carry a spare.
Absolutely, although I will note that I did manage to swap out a flat tire on my old VW Rabbit once despite not having a jack (it involved using a large rock and a tree branch... :eek: )

It turns out that the jack from a Chevy S10 / Blazer fits the round lift points under the Bolt, and I managed to find one for $5 at my local wrecking yard. The jack can lift the entire side of the vehicle when used on the front lift point (which is important because the rear lift point is recessed and difficult to access without impinging on the adjacent body structure). And for a little more money I bought a wrecking bar and 19mm socket for the lug nuts.

So I should be all set for the flat tire which, because I now am prepared for it, will probably not happen. ;)

I have seen online where you can buy a space saver spare tire that claims it fits the Bolt. I know you can't use these on 4wd systems but would it work on the Bolt?

I had a huge screw in my tire. I took it to Big Brand Tire (they do free flat repair). They pulled the screw out, pulled a plug through the hole, mushed the goop over the plug, and re-inflated the tire. It's been holding air for a week now.

All very interesting information. But as of now not a single person has answered my question. That is, no one has said that they have used the sealant and compressor that comes with the Bolt Premium to fix a flat and told of the experience. Although the Bolt is new, I assume this solution is part of other older cars. I think my friend's Prius has he same deal. So surely someone has had the opportunity to use this stuff.

SmokingRubber said:
I had a huge screw in my tire. I took it to Big Brand Tire (they do free flat repair). They pulled the screw out, pulled a plug through the hole, mushed the goop over the plug, and re-inflated the tire. It's been holding air for a week now.

Did the goo that was already in the tire prevent it from going completely flat, or slow the rate of air loss so that you could get to the tire repair shop?

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2017/Chevrolet/Bolt%20EV/tire-inflator-kit-84237904?

The is the compressor, sealant kit that came win my Bolt in Canada.

boltage said:
SmokingRubber said:

Did the goo that was already in the tire prevent it from going completely flat, or slow the rate of air loss so that you could get to the tire repair shop?

Yes it stopped the leak. It lost 2 pounds of pressure but I didn't pay any attention because it wasn't getting worse. I drove on it for a week before I saw the screw, then I drove on it for another 3 days before I could get it to the shop.

I wasn't pleased when I saw the goop in there, but it did it's job.

ArthurL said:
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2017/Chevrolet/Bolt%20EV/tire-inflator-kit-84237904?

The is the compressor, sealant kit that came win my Bolt in Canada.

In Canada, do Bolts come with the self-seal tires (Michelin Energy Saver with SelfSeal) that have the goo in them already?

boltage said:
In Canada, do Bolts come with the self-seal tires (Michelin Energy Saver with SelfSeal) that have the goo in them already?
Yes, they do. And they also come with the compressor and the goo. And DC Fast Charging as standard equipment.

I own a Leaf, but it came with the same system. A compressor and a can of goo. I had occasion to use it last week, and to my great surprise it worked. I drove to a tire shop where they pointed out that all of my tires were giving out after only 25 thousand miles, but that is another story. My tire was beyond permanent repair so I bought a used one until I can buy a new set. I have not, however, been able to replace the can of goo because I cant find one that screws onto the compressor like the original. I also have read that the goo will screw up the tire pressure sensors.
But, I was stuck on the road and then I was not, so the gizmo worked, and worked fairly quickly.

Back