152 mile range when fully charged?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your heater is turned on in the pictures. That is why range is so low at 45F. Turn off heater and range mid range estimate will jump up.

Slow down by 2 mph for every 10 degree temperature drop and your driving range will be the same, if you don’t use cabin heating.

We drove up to Freeport ME, in about 9F temperatures, with four people in the car, and set the cruise control to 55MPH. We had to run the heat / defroster to keep the windows from fogging, and had it set to 68F until it warmed up, and then turned it down to 61F. The wind was gusting pretty strongly, as well.

We had about 150 miles range indicated on the median dash indicator.

NeilBlanchard said:
We drove up to Freeport ME, in about 9F temperatures, with four people in the car, and set the cruise control to 55MPH. We had to run the heat / defroster to keep the windows from fogging, and had it set to 68F until it warmed up, and then turned it down to 61F. The wind was gusting pretty strongly, as well.

Dont keep us in suspense, what is the rest of the story? Median range when we left was =150, we traveled xxx miles and still showed xxx miles remaining when we arrived?

Its been down around -28 Celsius (-18F) most nights for the last month or so here, with the daytime high being a max of -15C (5F). At these temps you need the cabin heater as well as the steering wheel/seat heaters otherwise you get ice on the inside of the glass from your breath freezing; its worse if you've showered before going to work!! I normally leave the car in the garage overnight (semi-heated - approx. 0 to -5 Celsius), but I've left it outside for the last couple of weeks just to see how it copes.

The range is doing much better than I expected; the worst I've seen is 210km range with a full charge, which allows me to still use the hilltop setting which gives me around 190km range (which is less than 50% of my summer range, where I was regularly getting over 420kms......). Just for interest, the actual range I've got has always been pretty close to the cars' range prediction when charged. The range prediction tends to drop pretty steeply in the first 30% of use (which always causes unnecessary concern....), but then recover as I run toward the low end of the battery's capacity. My roundtrip commute to work is only 100km, so the range is still plenty and I don't baby the car; its a tool and I beat the snot out of it! I could always reduce my consumption in an emergency if I needed to add range, as I normally sit at 110km/h for around 30km (each way, so 60km of the 10km roundtrip) on my trip to work.

winterescape said:
NeilBlanchard said:

Dont keep us in suspense, what is the rest of the story? Median range when we left was =150, we traveled xxx miles and still showed xxx miles remaining when we arrived?

Sorry - we charged 4 times (because of EVgo's stupid 30 minute limit), and I didn't write anything down. We tried 2 chargers before finding on that worked - the EVgo unit at Maine Mall failed to charge, with an error right after the test sequence. Then a ChargePoint unit at a BMW dealer, that was probably disabled because they were not open. The second EVgo unit we tried was at another Hannaford's in northwest Portland.

We charged once there on the way to Freeport, and two sessions in a row on the way home. That got us back up to 104 miles (almost enough to get home, but not quite) - and all 3 cost us almost $37, which is crazy expensive.

Our fourth charge was at a ChargePoint located just south of the Rt 95 / Rt 495 split, near an Acapulco's restaurant. This was the only 50kW station, and we only charged enough to get about a 25 mile buffer.

Back