Bumpy Ride - Stiff Suspension

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robbertPatrison said:
Coming back to the OP's point: I agree that the Bolt's ride is harsh and very bumpy.
To me, having driven small hatchbacks for most of my 40+ year driving career, the ride seems quite normal.

I agree with Sean on all points (including 40 years of small cars). I would go further and say that, compared with other small cars, the ride/handling characteristics are superior. With the low center of gravity, it handles well, considering the tire design. My last car was a Miata. The Bolt is no Miata but, as a small car with good cargo and passenger space, the Bolt is about perfect for my current needs. (No pun intended.)

I was *hugely* disappointed. We're currently driving the KIA Soul EV... *much better ride*! I wouldn't even consider the Bolt unless
they fix this problem. :-(

buixote said:
I was *hugely* disappointed. We're currently driving the KIA Soul EV... *much better ride*! I wouldn't even consider the Bolt unless they fix this problem. :-(

Your money, your decision and glad you're happy with your Kia. JMHO, but I drove the Kia Soul EV and there are so many reasons I wouldn't even consider it, the list would take too long.

jack vines

To me, having driven small hatchbacks for most of my 40+ year driving career, the ride seems quite normal.
This^^^
Your money, your decision and glad you're happy with your Kia. JMHO, but I drove the Kia Soul EV and there are so many reasons I wouldn't even consider it, the list would take too long.
This^^^
I rather liked it, felt nicely planted.
This^^^
I agree with Sean on all points (including 40 years of small cars). I would go further and say that, compared with other small cars, the ride/handling characteristics are superior. With the low center of gravity, it handles well, considering the tire design. My last car was a Miata. The Bolt is no Miata but, as a small car with good cargo and passenger space, the Bolt is about perfect for my current needs.
And This^^^

EldRick said:
I'm hoping that Koni makes their FSD shocks for the Bolt. This would make it softer on bumps, and firmer in roll and pitch.

Short of that, the parts diagram makes the rear shock look like a straight tube with pretty standard ends. Has anyone taken a look at fitting aftermarket shocks to the car?

This is something I would like improve, as well. Please Chevy and / or Koni?

We have a 2013 Chevy Spark with almost 100K miles.
The ride is 100% better than my Bolt.
The Bolt is the harshest ridding CAR, I have ever owned.

PS. Brand new, paid $10K for our Spark in 2013. What a great little car.
Today, the same dealer has them for $11K for 2019 models. What a great buy :D

NeilBlanchard said:
EldRick said:
I'm hoping that Koni makes their FSD shocks for the Bolt. This would make it softer on bumps, and firmer in roll and pitch.

Short of that, the parts diagram makes the rear shock look like a straight tube with pretty standard ends. Has anyone taken a look at fitting aftermarket shocks to the car?

This is something I would like improve, as well. Please Chevy and / or Koni?

I have Koni Yellow Sport Installed on My Bolt EV in the rear only (Pictures on my website EV-MODS.com). I took the plunge for my business to test fit a set of front and rears from a Cruze. The Rears (available on ev-mods) Fit good with the use of a few washers to take up small gap in lateral space on lower shock bolt. The fronts actually fit perfect excluding the upper bolt hole for the spindle does not line up . I have the part number for the fronts but chose not to list them as they require modification. They could be drilled; but most are not interested in having to modify a strut that cost $200.

I worked directly with Eibach to develop lowering Springs for the Bolt that I have been running for about 25,000 Miles and love them. They are as soft or possibly softer through initial stroke but much more progressive and stiffer through the travel. The springs combined with rear adjustable koni Yellows improves performance with what I personally feel as some improved ride quality with the improved dampening.

I am also developing a full bolt-on coilover kit with 30 way adjust-ability with BC Racing. The kit should enable dialing in the settings you prefer; however the ride will likely be stiffer (not necessarily bouncier) than stock.

Often a stiffer valved shock or strut can give the sensation of a better ride as the wheel travels under more control that passes on to your body as more comfortable.

Back