SeanNelson

Re: Bolt winter performance, an ICE comparison

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

IMAdolt wrote:I just finished up with an extended test drive ... This part of BC isn't the coldest place in the world ...

Where on earth were you able to find a Bolt for an extended multi-day test drive here in BC?

IMAdolt

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Preston in Langley, probly dueck and the guys in surrey seem to have some stock too.

SeanNelson

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 am

IMAdolt wrote:Preston in Langley, probly dueck and the guys in surrey seem to have some stock too.

Wow, I'm impressed. When I was looking for a Bolt the dealers had nothing in stock and even if they did I have the feeling that they would have laughed at the idea of taking the car for a multi-day test drive.

IMAdolt

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 pm

SeanNelson wrote:
IMAdolt wrote:Preston in Langley, probly dueck and the guys in surrey seem to have some stock too.

Wow, I'm impressed. When I was looking for a Bolt the dealers had nothing in stock and even if they did I have the feeling that they would have laughed at the idea of taking the car for a multi-day test drive.

I guess most probably still would but Preston Langley set one aside as a demo model some time ago, its a Cajun red premier with smallish Preston decals along each side has over 1k km on it now thanks to me :D

Seems like there's maybe a couple dozen in stock in the region and they honestly expect to be restocked with MY 2018 before summer so whether or not that's actually going to happen they're getting "Motivated", not enough to really cut any prices but they'd like to see them sell soon I'm sure.

It seems like there's some ability for the dealers around this area to either trade stock or broker deals for each other without a lot of hassle near enough to MSRP.

If someone had the patience to wait for that demo to be sold they'd probably get a pretty good deal, I can't wait I really need to move to make sure I get a scrap-it incentive this year.

SeanNelson

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 am

IMAdolt wrote:If someone had the patience to wait for that demo to be sold they'd probably get a pretty good deal, I can't wait I really need to move to make sure I get a scrap-it incentive this year.

Be ready to pounce on that as soon as they get their new funding on January 15. Last year they ran out of funds in only a few months.

IMAdolt

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm

I have a 95 corolla with nearly 400k km on it, I've been driving to work for the last year read to be crushed into a cube. Short of memerizing the VIN I'm about as ready as I can be.

I bought this for 500$ last January and it's a little sad because it's been on of the most reliable, low hassle cars I've ever owned.

NeilBlanchard

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 pm

oilerlord wrote:People driving ICEV's don't typically mention them and/or thier level of accuracy probably because those readouts are irrelevant. 600 miles of range, and 5-minute fill-up isn't thought of as an amazing technological breakthrough on a fuel efficient car. It's just expected, regardless of the season, or ambient temperature. No thermal underwear, heated socks, or 12V electric blankets required.

In terms of a winter (range) performance comparison, I have never experienced 30-50% range loss in winter with any other vehicle I've ever owned; but it happens frequently with my EV. Unfortunately, that sort of extreme is normal for a lot of us. We may try to sell ourselves on the notion that it isn't an "unreasonable amount" - but really, we aren't fooling anyone in the ICEV community; only ourselves. It is unreasonable. We just accept it.

What ICE car(s) have 600 miles of range? Most are 300-400.

I was able to stretch the 12 gallons in my Scion xA to over 600 miles about six times in the 10 years I had it, and I averaged about 550 miles in the summer. In the winter, I was able to get a bit over 400. So about a 25% loss of range in the winter.

Warm up time, and heat use definitely affect an ICE. Cold air is more dense, and aero drag affects all cars.

The worst range on our Bolt EV has been 152 miles. That was highway driving in 9F with four people. So, that is about 36% lower than the EPA. If we had a direct heating defroster in the Bolt EV, we would lose very little range.

oilerlord

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:
What ICE car(s) have 600 miles of range? Most are 300-400.

Ford F-Series trucks are the best selling vehicles in North America. 600-700 miles with an F-150 on one tank of gas isn't unusual. The Prius Prime is rated at 640 miles. Pretty much any Audi, BMW, Mercedes, or VW can go at least 600 miles on one tank of diesel. We drove our VW down to Arizona in November, it was 6 degrees F. Drove 60 mph, with heater blasting, starting from Edmonton. I refueled on the second day in Butte, MT. 625 miles on ~13 gallons. We could have pushed 700 miles if we wanted to.

The new Chevy Cruze diesel is reported to be capable of over 700 miles on one tank.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/02/ne ... k-of-fuel/
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”