Steering Wheel Option

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

In future Bolt EV’s, the steering wheel may be optional. Along with pedals.

News out of San Francisco this AM is GM is trying to get governmental approvals for test driving these cars on public roads without a steering wheel or pedals.

The car will have what amounts to an emergency stop button and not much else. This is a departure from currently used autonomous vehicles that always have fully redundant manual controls.

I could not immediately find online images, so sorry for the poor quality television photos.

00E6EDCA-1450-473B-8DEA-0B191962D9ED.jpeg

F9608F45-2CDC-45CD-A8B8-627879BD2D37.jpeg

185CCE5A-1AFA-4631-8C75-51604E9FFEC9.jpeg

AFB945CD-85B6-4F52-8364-FC2CC04B56F3.jpeg

Unoffically called a “Chevy Cruise AV” by Fox News. I think we all agree it sure looks like a Bolt. I suppose AV is for autonomous vehicle.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/01/12/general-motors-reveals-autonomous-car-with-no-steering-wheel.amp.html

I'm not ready to completely trust an AV with my life. Until one beats me in a race or drives a million miles accident free on today's roads ... nope. Besides, I love driving!

I don't love traffic though and thankfully I don't get much of it around here. If I did, I wouldn't mind if Herbie handled my light work.

SmokingRubber said:
I'm not ready to completely trust an AV with my life. Until one beats me in a race or drives a million miles accident free on today's roads ... nope.

Both will come sooner than you expect. A human cannot beat a machine for reaction time. And remember that a million miles can be accumulated by AI driving 1,000 cars 1,000 miles each. Even at the same time. All of that experience can be accumulated.

SmokingRubber said:
Besides, I love driving!

100% with you there. It's the same reason I never gave up a manual transmission. Until I simply couldn't buy a car with one. So it will go with self-driving cars.

SmokingRubber said:
I don't love traffic though and thankfully I don't get much of it around here. If I did, I wouldn't mind if Herbie handled my light work.

Again, I'm with you here. But if the car doesn't have a steering wheel, Herbie doesn't just handle your commute - it handles everything.

Well you're half right.

In a drag race, it's almost all about reaction time.

In a more complex race, it's about awareness of the course, the other car(s), your own car. In this case, a computer will still be able to measure feedback much faster than a human.

I still think a computer will be able to beat a human in a race in the near future.

P.S. "Creepy" is the right word for that video. "Disturbing" also comes to mind. But it was also amusing, so thanks for sharing.

Hey, it isn't "her" moves that are Creepy. It's "her" creepy demon mask.

As for no steering wheel, the Nissan IDS concept car uses a backup steering yoke that swings out from the dash if needed. I'd prefer that setup.

The IDS setup would be acceptable, I guess. But that's provided that it actually gives you full control when you are driving. There are automatic transmissions, for example, that let you select the gear. But the car can and will override your decision if it thinks it knows better. Most implementations I have driving have been awful.

Another closer-to-home example. My Bolt has lane keep assist. It will tug you back into your lane if it senses you drifting. Well, many of my coworkers walk/run on the local streets during lunch time. So when I drive somewhere for lunch, I have to cross the center line to give them space. The car tugs me back into the lane (and into the pedestrian!). Yes, I overpower it, but it's really annoying.

So I was just thinking about this today - If your car doesn't have a steering wheel, how are you going to back in to a campsite or do anything that isn't explicitly an on-road situation? Or parking at the (goddam) Trader Joes? Or the parking garage where half the spots say "Bank parking only"

I expect a lot of "No car, try again"

Or even crazier, back east in the snow.. "Yes car, drive through that snowbank! It's so tiny!" or "No car, we're not calling the tow truck, you just need to rock it back and forth a few more times!"

On the other hand, when I'm so old and blind that I need a self driving car, I probably won't be doing much camping, let alone trying to park in Little Tokyo, or living in Maine, so maybe it's pointless.

Pigwich said:
So I was just thinking about this today - If your car doesn't have a steering wheel, how are you going to back in to a campsite or do anything that isn't explicitly an on-road situation?
Right now these cars are only being deployed for ride sharing, so parking at the destination really isn't an issue for them.

But yeah, if these are ever sold to the general public then all those issues will have to be worked out.

Back