Audible warning for Lane departure and blind spot warning

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that an audible warning is a HUGE improvement over no warning. There is a LOT of visual information when driving 75MPH down an interstate, and noticing a small blinking yellow light way off to the side is not NEARLY as good as hearing some beeps.

I think the algorithm should be:
1. The SBZA system has detected an object (if just this, then a solid yellow indicator and no audible)
2. The turn signals are enabled in the same direction as the detected object (if this too, then blink the visual indicator, but no audible)
3. The car is moving above a certain speed threshold (20MPH?) (if this too, then beep)

The reason for #3 is for sitting at a red light in the rightmost of a double-left turn lane with the turn signal on. I don't want it beeping at me in that situation. I'm not changing lanes, I'm turning left. The speed threshold solves most of those situations.

For me, the no audible alarm pretty much makes the SBZA useless.

I also think a user-settable setting would be fine - no alert, visual alert, visual+audio alert (or some such)

I also think it'd be fine to limit the number of beeps - perhaps 3 quick beeps is enough, then stop until the next time...

Here’s why this is especially frustrating to me.
  1. This should be a relatively simple software update. All the hardware is there. This is not an expensive or complex change.
  2. This is a safety issue
From where I sit, it seems like the obvious choice to make is to just fix it. Why wouldn’t anyone choose to make a cheap & easy fix that improves safety?

Please, Chevrolet, I ask you to reconsider this decision. I’ve had other vehicles that do this, it works great.

I agree the audible alert should be there like my 2013 Volt. Sure it was often annoying especially backing out of our tight garage but I really liked it was on the road. If Chevy is playing the complaint game then make it a selectable option. Easy!! They do that for other functions on the car.

On my 2015 Silverado the seat would vibrate, which I did not care for. The seat vibration function failed year two and all of a sudden I started getting audible alerts. Problem solved. The dealer noticed the issue (still under warranty) and I told them not to fix the seat vibration function as I liked the audible alerts better. This really is a stupid situation when it literally costs Chevy nothing to add the feature. It is why I paid extra for all the safety features available. I am disappointed and feel short changed at this point.

Yes, PLEASE add the ability to sound an audible alarm
IF car detected in blinds pot
AND IF driver signals or turns wheel

Also, a similar option for audible alarm needs to be added to rear cross traffic alert and rear collision alert and pedestrian alert.

My wife's Kia Optima does a a good job with audible alarms and I may have seen a audible alarm on a tv commercial for Cadillac.

Even with these complaints I have thoroughly enjoyed driving and fueling by Bolt for the past 5 months!

RG Rohde

rgrohde2111 said:
Also, a similar option for audible alarm needs to be added to rear cross traffic alert and rear collision alert and pedestrian alert.
The rear cross traffic alert does sound the chime and illuminate the "!"-in-a-triangle icon in the rear view camera display.

And the pedestrian alert issues loud beeps and turns on the panic lights (the five bright red LEDs that are visible in the windscreen) if it thinks you may actually hit a pedestrian.

I've experienced both of these.

You wouldn't want the pedestrian alert to sound just because it recognized one - that would drive you crazy. Having it beep only when there's an immediate need to brake works well, IMHO.

There is another audible alert that I like. Sometimes I put the turn signal on , maybe for a lane change, and it doesn't release automatically. After a period (30 seconds?) an audible beep starts sounding. If my wife is in the passenger's seat, it alerts after a second or two. : :cool:

Back