Cool new things you found out

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While stopped at a long stoplight I needed to remove my coat.

The car was in L so no creep with foot off brake.

I took off my seatbelt and the car automatically put on the parking brake. Not bad. Just interesting.

gpsman said:

I took off my seatbelt and the car automatically put on the parking brake. Not bad. Just interesting.

What IS very bad is that it does not always put the parking brake on when you remove the seatbelt. I've let it creep for a long distance in L. If you're not paying attention (which you probably aren't - you are focusing on whatever required you to unbuckle), this could easily cause a slow collision - hopefully with a car, rather than a child or elderly pedestrian.

I think it was a terrible, dangerous idea to disable creep when the driver seatbelt is unfastened. What on earth were they thinking???

Not cool!

phil0909 said:
gpsman said:

What IS very bad is that it does not always put the parking brake on when you remove the seatbelt. I've let it creep for a long distance in L. If you're not paying attention (which you probably aren't - you are focusing on whatever required you to unbuckle), this could easily cause a slow collision - hopefully with a car, rather than a child or elderly pedestrian.

I think it was a terrible, dangerous idea to disable creep when the driver seatbelt is unfastened. What on earth were they thinking???

Not cool!

Are you serious?

First of all, my Bolt has ALWAYS engaged the parking brake when stopped and in "L" mode. If your's doesn't, a trip to your dealer is suggested.

As to the rest, just ask the family of Anton Yelchin how they feel about this "terrible, dangerous idea".

By using "L" mode or using the paddle for regen it will lower the kWh used by the amount that was recouped.
Being from Nebraska and getting the first bolt, I assume, temperature is the biggest factor to range. Second is speed and or lead foot.
The right hand side of the drivers consol has the kw currently used or the regen gaining. When you first get in and drive there is a white line that tells you the max regen. It slowly moves lower as the regen warms up and the battery uses power. Then when the line goes all the way down the regen "battery" icon turns from grey to green.

dandrewk said:
phil0909 said:
gpsman said:

I think it was a terrible, dangerous idea to enable* creep when the driver seatbelt is unfastened. What on earth were they thinking???
* typo corrected
Not cool!

Are you serious?

First of all, my Bolt has ALWAYS engaged the parking brake when stopped and in "L" mode. If your's doesn't, a trip to your dealer is suggested.

As to the rest, just ask the family of Anton Yelchin how they feel about this "terrible, dangerous idea".

You misunderstood me. I'm not opposed to the automatic application of the parking brake, I am against enabling creep when the seatbelt is unbuckled. This is dangerous, and could hurt someone. I imagine Anton's family would agree with me wholeheartedly!

Thanks for the suggestion, but a dealer visit would be a waste of time. Your experience notwithstanding, my experience - and that of others who have posted their own Bolt experience - is that the Bolt sometimes does and sometimes does not apply the parking brake when stopped in L on an incline. Sometimes it rolls forward. Furthermore, the Bolt Owner's Manual indicates that this is normal behavior - it specifically says that:

"If the vehicle cannot maintain the
grade while using One-Pedal
Driving, the Electric Parking
Brake (EPB) may apply to hold the
vehicle stationary."

Automatic application of the parking brake is NOT guaranteed, and does NOT always happen. My safety advice to you is, don't count on the car stopping completely in L, and always be ready to apply the brake manually.

You did not mention anything about automatic hill assist. "Creep" and "rolling forward due to gravity" are NOT the same thing. If you were stopped in "L" mode on a level surface, unhooked seat belt and the Bolt did not apply parking brake, then yours is the first (and only) instance where this occured.

I always have my foot on the brake when stopped in "L". I've made that same recommendation here, but it has nothing to do with the car creeping forward. It's all about the visibility of the brake lights.

dandrewk said:
You did not mention anything about automatic hill assist. "Creep" and "rolling forward due to gravity" are NOT the same thing. If you were stopped in "L" mode on a level surface, unhooked seat belt and the Bolt did not apply parking brake, then yours is the first (and only) instance where this occured.

I always have my foot on the brake when stopped in "L". I've made that same recommendation here, but it has nothing to do with the car creeping forward. It's all about the visibility of the brake lights.

No, I did not mention 'Hill Start Assist', because it is irrelevant to the subject under discussion. Hill Start Assist will prevent the car from rolling backward while in a forward gear, and vice versa. It will NOT prevent the car from rolling forward while in L or D.

What I did say, and what I meant, is that creep is enabled in L when the driver's seat belt is unfastened. In this circumstance, a stopped Bolt will roll slowly forward if the brake pedal is released. This is both pointless and dangerous, though the danger is limited by the slow creeping speed - generally about 2 mph.

Thanks for finally clearing that up.

However, I still disagree :). It's a safety feature to prevent you from exiting the car when in "L", unless you are crazy/suicidal to attempt exiting a moving car. You should either turn the car off, put it in Park, or (at the very least) engage the parking brake.

Yeah, there are ways around this safety feature, similar to folks who circumvent the seat belt reminders. There's only so much a car manufacturer can do to save us from ourselves. #darwinism.

Posatronic said:
The right hand side of the drivers consol has the kw currently used or the regen gaining. When you first get in and drive there is a white line that tells you the max regen. It slowly moves lower as the regen warms up and the battery uses power. Then when the line goes all the way down the regen "battery" icon turns from grey to green.

Thanks! I'm not crazy! I thought that icon was grey one day and green the next. But then it has been green now several days in a row so I thought my memory was grey.

The difference? First couple days I left home with a 100% charged battery. Then I noticed substantially reduced regen leaving on a full battery (hence Hilltop Reserve Mode).

Past few days I've been keeping the car 35% to 75%.
Always a green regen icon now!

If your battery is too hot, too cold, or too full, your regen gets "greyed out" like a software feature. Nice!

dandrewk said:
It's a safety feature to prevent you from exiting the car when in "L", unless you are crazy/suicidal to attempt exiting a moving car.

Making customers safer by endangering them? ;) No, in fact it is clear that this is not the intent of this 'feature', because drivers are already prevented from exiting the vehicle while in L:
1. The car doors are automatically locked, until you shift into P.
2. Even if you try to defeat this safety precaution by using the door unlock button in the car, there is another precaution right behind it. If you do manage to open the driver door while in L or D, the parking brake is immediately engaged and the car shifts to P automatically.

AFAIK, GM has not told us the reason for the idiotic and dangerous enabling of creep when the driver's belt is unfastened. My best guess is that it is an intentional driver annoyance, designed to remind/compel us to buckle up promptly and remain buckled. It probably is somewhat effective in accomplishing that goal, but at the expense of irritating customers and some added risk of very low speed collisions with objects and pedestrians.

phil0909 said:
dandrewk said:
It's a safety feature to prevent you from exiting the car when in "L", unless you are crazy/suicidal to attempt exiting a moving car.

AFAIK, GM has not told us the reason for the idiotic and dangerous enabling of creep when the driver's belt is unfastened. My best guess is that it is an intentional driver annoyance, designed to remind/compel us to buckle up promptly and remain buckled. It probably is somewhat effective in accomplishing that goal, but at the expense of irritating customers and some added risk of very low speed collisions with objects and pedestrians.

To many people would stop their car in "L" and get out to run into Starbucks and the car would be ready to go. If you were to get in and it's in "L" with no creep you might hit the accelerator which would be bad. Creep in "L" with door open prevents you from thinking you can just get out.

Your response would be "oh crap, I'm still in gear".

Side note, You can stop creep in "D" simply by hitting the steering wheel regen button.

Maxters said:
To many people would stop their car in "L" and get out to run into Starbucks and the car would be ready to go. If you were to get in and it's in "L" with no creep you might hit the accelerator which would be bad. Creep in "L" with door open prevents you from thinking you can just get out.

Your response would be "oh crap, I'm still in gear".

Side note, You can stop creep in "D" simply by hitting the steering wheel regen button.

No. That is not how it works. There is no creep in L with the door open. Opening the door forces the car into P with the parking brake set. The creep happens when your seatbelt is unfastened in L, not when the door opens.

Automatically setting the brake when the door opens is good. Creeping when the driver seatbelt is unbuckled is bad.

I usually put my seat heater on the lowest setting (one dot) on the days I need it. After 'about' 10 minutes (never really timed it) it shuts off. Which is fine for me.

My wife puts her side on high (three dots). After 'about' ten minutes her side decreases from three dots to two then stays on two.

In the my Chevy app, if you enable hilltop reserve, the "charge complete" time estimator decreases by the appropriate time for 10% (90% vs. 100%). Nice. Especially nice when on the 120 VAC cord that came with the car. That is a 4 to 5 hour difference.

If your RKE fob dies...
1 - Remove the physical key. Put the key in the hole in the bottom of the driver-door handle and lever off that cover. Open the door using the key in the now exposed manual door lock.
2 - Open the armrest. remove the upper pocket.
3 - Place the RKE fob, buttons facing down, in the bottom of the armrest storage bin.

The RKE fob should now work even with a low battery as it is as close to the pickup as possible.

In my lifetime 756 miles so far, I have 0% power used for battery conditioning.

However I have noticed this:

There is a fine white line that comes on under the kw display (enhanced display) to indicate reduced regen, and the regen icon turns from green to grey. (This has been reported elsewhere.)

I'd previously seen the grey icon and reduced regen bar each time I charged to 100%.

Also, this grey icon and bar comes on when the battery temperature is warm. (And presumably cold).

I punched it to the max on a freeway on ramp just for fun and this (160 kw output) must have warmed the battery in 10 seconds because my grey reduced regen icon came on right after this. So not hot enough for active cooling, but slightly warm, will also reduce regen.

One thing I noticed recently is that the "Energy used" display goes down when doing regen. I started out at the top of a mile or so long hill and it said that I had used 12.8 kWh since the last full charge. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill, that number had dropped to 12.3 kWh.

I wish the car would tell us separately how much electricity we have consumed or regenerated. I.e, I consumed a total of 12 kWh, but managed to recapture 1.5 kWh, leaving a net consumption of 10.5 kWh. I suppose with the Torque or EnglineLink apps it would be possible to capture that...

devbolt said:
I wish the car would tell us separately how much electricity we have consumed or regenerated. I.e, I consumed a total of 12 kWh, but managed to recapture 1.5 kWh, leaving a net consumption of 10.5 kWh. I suppose with the Torque or EnglineLink apps it would be possible to capture that...

Ditto. I wish the same.

I found out the heated steering wheel works in accessory (or “service”) mode. But the heater and heated seats do not.

( hold power down for 5 seconds with NO foot on the brake )

I got the “Your Home Location has Timed Out” message for the first time exactly 1 year (+/- a day or two, I didn’t write down the date I initally set it, but I know I only set it once and it was in March 2017) after I set it.

I thought I read elsewhere it expires in 6 months.

Back