Is there any way to have the fan on and heating and cooling off?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolter

In mild weather, I like to keep the windows closed to minimize noise and to run the fan to keep the car from getting stuffy, without using either heat or air conditioning. Intuitively, one might think that turning "Heat & A/C" off and turning the fan on would accomplish my goal of bringing in fresh air without using heat or cooling. It doesn't. What seems to be happening is that, even though "Heat & A/C" is turned off, the system tries to achieve the temperature that was set with the temperature knob. Here is a pic of the screen. You can see that the fan is on, "Heat & A/C" is off, and the temperature is set to 80 degrees. Hot air was coming out of the vents.View attachment IMG_1704-25.jpg

What does the "Heat &A/C"setting do? It clearly doesn't turn the heat off when it's off. The only way that I have found to achieve what I want is to adjust the temperature control to match the outside temperature, which presumably, keeps heat and A/C off. Is there something I'm missing?

Is my car working as designed, or is there a malfunction?

Look at your estimated miles on the DIC and push the heat & ac button to see if it is drawing energy when lit. If your range drops by around 20 miles when the heat & ac light is on your heat is working. Hot air will come out for a while after using the heat until it cools off. A lot of people use this to get free heat after pre-conditioning the car.

I got my Bolt LT end of August last year and have used the heating / air system many times with the fan on and the Heat / AC & recirculating off - just as you have yours set - and it's always delivered air at outside temp. Just as an example, the other day I was driving with temp set to 74 while outside read 49, fan was on 2. I wondered after a while why air was still cold. Then I saw the "HEAT & A/C" light was off. I touched it turning it on and a short time later heat was coming out. So I know mine works as you think yours should.

If the little grey got is green, the Heat or A/C are on. If the little grey dot is not green, the Heat or A/C are off.
Then depending on the Temp setting, the car is either actively heating or cooling.
The Heat or A/C function could be off, and cool or hot air could still be exiting the vents as the heating/cooling
components return to regular air temperature.
boltheatac.jpg

Back