phil0909

Re: Cool new things you found out

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 am

dandrewk wrote:It's a safety feature to prevent you from exiting the car when in "L", unless you are crazy/suicidal to attempt exiting a moving car.

Making customers safer by endangering them? ;) No, in fact it is clear that this is not the intent of this 'feature', because drivers are already prevented from exiting the vehicle while in L:
1. The car doors are automatically locked, until you shift into P.
2. Even if you try to defeat this safety precaution by using the door unlock button in the car, there is another precaution right behind it. If you do manage to open the driver door while in L or D, the parking brake is immediately engaged and the car shifts to P automatically.

AFAIK, GM has not told us the reason for the idiotic and dangerous enabling of creep when the driver's belt is unfastened. My best guess is that it is an intentional driver annoyance, designed to remind/compel us to buckle up promptly and remain buckled. It probably is somewhat effective in accomplishing that goal, but at the expense of irritating customers and some added risk of very low speed collisions with objects and pedestrians.

Maxters

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:14 pm

phil0909 wrote:
dandrewk wrote:It's a safety feature to prevent you from exiting the car when in "L", unless you are crazy/suicidal to attempt exiting a moving car.

AFAIK, GM has not told us the reason for the idiotic and dangerous enabling of creep when the driver's belt is unfastened. My best guess is that it is an intentional driver annoyance, designed to remind/compel us to buckle up promptly and remain buckled. It probably is somewhat effective in accomplishing that goal, but at the expense of irritating customers and some added risk of very low speed collisions with objects and pedestrians.

To many people would stop their car in "L" and get out to run into Starbucks and the car would be ready to go. If you were to get in and it's in "L" with no creep you might hit the accelerator which would be bad. Creep in "L" with door open prevents you from thinking you can just get out.

Your response would be "oh crap, I'm still in gear".

Side note, You can stop creep in "D" simply by hitting the steering wheel regen button.

phil0909

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Maxters wrote:To many people would stop their car in "L" and get out to run into Starbucks and the car would be ready to go. If you were to get in and it's in "L" with no creep you might hit the accelerator which would be bad. Creep in "L" with door open prevents you from thinking you can just get out.

Your response would be "oh crap, I'm still in gear".

Side note, You can stop creep in "D" simply by hitting the steering wheel regen button.

No. That is not how it works. There is no creep in L with the door open. Opening the door forces the car into P with the parking brake set. The creep happens when your seatbelt is unfastened in L, not when the door opens.

Automatically setting the brake when the door opens is good. Creeping when the driver seatbelt is unbuckled is bad.

gpsman

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 am

I usually put my seat heater on the lowest setting (one dot) on the days I need it. After 'about' 10 minutes (never really timed it) it shuts off. Which is fine for me.

My wife puts her side on high (three dots). After 'about' ten minutes her side decreases from three dots to two then stays on two.

In the my Chevy app, if you enable hilltop reserve, the "charge complete" time estimator decreases by the appropriate time for 10% (90% vs. 100%). Nice. Especially nice when on the 120 VAC cord that came with the car. That is a 4 to 5 hour difference.

BBell33

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:39 pm

If your RKE fob dies...
1 - Remove the physical key. Put the key in the hole in the bottom of the driver-door handle and lever off that cover. Open the door using the key in the now exposed manual door lock.
2 - Open the armrest. remove the upper pocket.
3 - Place the RKE fob, buttons facing down, in the bottom of the armrest storage bin.

The RKE fob should now work even with a low battery as it is as close to the pickup as possible.

gpsman

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:37 am

In my lifetime 756 miles so far, I have 0% power used for battery conditioning.

However I have noticed this:

There is a fine white line that comes on under the kw display (enhanced display) to indicate reduced regen, and the regen icon turns from green to grey. (This has been reported elsewhere.)

I'd previously seen the grey icon and reduced regen bar each time I charged to 100%.

Also, this grey icon and bar comes on when the battery temperature is warm. (And presumably cold).

I punched it to the max on a freeway on ramp just for fun and this (160 kw output) must have warmed the battery in 10 seconds because my grey reduced regen icon came on right after this. So not hot enough for active cooling, but slightly warm, will also reduce regen.

devbolt

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 am

One thing I noticed recently is that the "Energy used" display goes down when doing regen. I started out at the top of a mile or so long hill and it said that I had used 12.8 kWh since the last full charge. By the time I got to the bottom of the hill, that number had dropped to 12.3 kWh.

I wish the car would tell us separately how much electricity we have consumed or regenerated. I.e, I consumed a total of 12 kWh, but managed to recapture 1.5 kWh, leaving a net consumption of 10.5 kWh. I suppose with the Torque or EnglineLink apps it would be possible to capture that...

gpsman

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:42 pm

devbolt wrote:
I wish the car would tell us separately how much electricity we have consumed or regenerated. I.e, I consumed a total of 12 kWh, but managed to recapture 1.5 kWh, leaving a net consumption of 10.5 kWh. I suppose with the Torque or EnglineLink apps it would be possible to capture that...

Ditto. I wish the same.

gpsman

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 am

I found out the heated steering wheel works in accessory (or “service”) mode. But the heater and heated seats do not.

( hold power down for 5 seconds with NO foot on the brake )

gpsman

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:34 pm

I got the “Your Home Location has Timed Out” message for the first time exactly 1 year (+/- a day or two, I didn’t write down the date I initally set it, but I know I only set it once and it was in March 2017) after I set it.

I thought I read elsewhere it expires in 6 months.

Return to “Technical Discussions”