Battery recall

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

My Bolt was manufactured in the timeframe where the known issue with the faulty batteries was created, November 2016. I have been reading on other groups that people are driving along with a 100+ miles range and the car just dies in the middle of the road. How is this not a mandatory recall? People can be seriously injured or be killed in a car accident. How do you know if your car is faulty, just want for it to conk out?

GM monitors the condition of the battery cells and if they fall out of specification it triggers an in-car alert to you that is followed up with an email alert. This isn’t 100% fool proof but it is a good proactive approach.

And remember, there are lots of failure modes in ICE cars that can render them “dead in the middle of the road” without warning, too.

My battery didn't suddenly just died but when it reached thirty percent of remaining charge and the display showed sixty five mikes left, the car went into power save mode, which meant I couldn't go past forty miles per hour. After only driving for another ten miles or so on level ground, the battery was empty and the car died. The total mileage I was able to reach on that full charge was one hundred seventy five miles even though I always drive on L mode, and without using the heater or AC. The mileage on my car at the time of the incident was seventeen hundred miles. Brand new. Has anybody heard of faulty batteries?

I've heard that the car's ability to estimate the state of battery charge may deteriorate if you don't let it complete its charge from time to time. So if you've been doing a lot of unplugging and driving before you get the "charge complete" message (in either "full" or "hilltop reserve" mode) then it might possibly result in this kind of behaviour.

If I understand the issue correctly, the next full charge should recalibrate the software and return range estimates to their original accuracy.

SeanNelson said:
I've heard that the car's ability to estimate the state of battery charge may deteriorate if you don't let it complete its charge from time to time. So if you've been doing a lot of unplugging and driving before you get the "charge complete" message (in either "full" or "hilltop reserve" mode) then it might possibly result in this kind of behaviour.

If I understand the issue correctly, the next full charge should recalibrate the software and return range estimates to their original accuracy.

Yes, but the estimate shouldn't result in a 'guestimate' difference of 60+ miles!

SparkE said:
SeanNelson said:
I've heard that the car's ability to estimate the state of battery charge may deteriorate if you don't let it complete its charge from time to time...
Yes, but the estimate shouldn't result in a 'guestimate' difference of 60+ miles!
I would imagine that it depends on how long it's been since the car was able to calibrate its range estimate from a full charge. But it's just speculation at this point.

I usually charge the battery until I get the notification that the battery is fully charged; but I will be more aware of this from now on. I will probably do another try to see how many miles I can get on the full battery next week. I'll make sure that the battery is fully charged before then. Will keep you posted my results.

JorgeBarrera said:
I usually charge the battery until I get the notification that the battery is fully charged...
If that's the case then I wouldn't think you'd fall victim to that potential issue. And it is just a potential issue - I think it was a theory I read in some other thread but I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it.

Apparently there is a battery pack recall. And this explains the behavior people here have seen. I just got wind of this when my car “sent GM a trouble code over the air” and Chevy Corporate called me to schedule an appointment asap at the dealer of my choice.

“May exceed a threshold” is code for “your car may stop unexpectedly.”

My car is driving fine by the way.

ADB037F0-FEDF-4D4A-96E1-000005639B91.jpeg

Talked to the recall advisor today. I asked if my car specifically sent out a trouble code, or if she was calling because my car was included in a block of affected VIN’s. She said my car specifically sent out an error code to them.

She made me an appt. at my local dealer in 7 days, which was the soonest opening. She said if I must continute to drive the car, that’s fine, but she said to keep the car above 30% charged. She stated exactly what is said in this thread. Below 30% the range gauge may be inaccurate and the car may run out of power sooner than expected.

Sounds like if one cell, or bank gets lower voltage than the rest by a certain “threshold” the car shuts down.

They also said while they will do a diagnostics first, they expect to change the battery. I don’t know if that means a complete change, one package, one bank, or one cell. A new battery is being “reserved” under my name and VIN for 14 days at the nearest dealer.

gpsman said:
They also said while they will do a diagnostics first, they expect to change the battery. I don’t know if that means a complete change, one package, one bank, or one cell.
It means the whole battery, which isn't a bad thing.

I think so. Dropped off the car today. And in 30 minutes was out the door with a free (gas) loaner car. They said since the car sent THEM a code via on-Star, they are not going to take chances and they are diving right into the replacement. Since they couldn’t tell me how long it would take, I got a brand new (well 2000 miles on the odo) loaner car.

The Bolt never sent me any error codes or messages.

I got the same call today. Vehicle sent a code to them, they called me, scheduled an appointment with the local dealership, and then sent me the following email. I started leasing the vehicle last Oct. and have not experienced any real issue. I love the car and hope the positive experience will continue after this episode.
=========================

Your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV has created an OnStar diagnostic alert because an element in the battery has slipped below the threshold required for good performance. If unrepaired, it could cause a stalling situation while driving.

You may notice one or more of the following conditions:

• Vehicle is unable to plug-In charge
• No start
• Reduced or loss of propulsion
• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated

Just to confirm, the vehicle has been scheduled for a service appointment at XXX on XXXX.
Sincerely,
XXX
Chevrolet Proactive Outreach Team

snowang said:
I got the same call today. Vehicle sent a code to them, they called me, scheduled an appointment with the local dealership, and then sent me the following email.
I would phone the dealership to confirm. I've seen at least one other forum posting complaining that the dealership didn't get any notification of the appointment. The last thing you want to do is to put time aside and go to the dealership only to find that you have to re-book for a later date.

SeanNelson said:
snowang said:
I got the same call today. Vehicle sent a code to them, they called me, scheduled an appointment with the local dealership, and then sent me the following email.
I would phone the dealership to confirm. I've seen at least one other forum posting complaining that the dealership didn't get any notification of the appointment. The last thing you want to do is to put time aside and go to the dealership only to find that you have to re-book for a later date.

Thanks for the reminder. The central customer service actually brought the local dealer service advisor on the line and we had a three way call to make the appointment. I am very impressed so far with how proactive they really are!

I am sure that it is just a coincidence that a number of "battery notifications" were sent via OnStar, but the driver/vehicle was mysteriously not notified for some reason, JUST AFTER the Consumer Reports Bolt was reported to be dead in the water due to a faulty cell in the main propulsion battery.

I wonder if this is a pro-active "let's address any potential problem NOW, since the bad news has leaked out - we don't want more stories of this".

snowang said:
Thanks for the reminder. The central customer service actually brought the local dealer service advisor on the line and we had a three way call to make the appointment. I am very impressed so far with how proactive they really are!

Same thing for me.

Day 1: Onstar texted me that my car was plugged in for 1 hour and added 11% to the battery. (I dropped it off with 52% then it sat at 63%.)

Day 2: no data

Day 3: my car was plugged in and charged to 100%

I have no idea if this is the orginal or replaced battery. I’m still using the gas loaner. So wierd having to use the pedal in the middle and a key to start. :D

gpsman said:
Same thing for me.

Day 1: Onstar texted me that my car was plugged in for 1 hour and added 11% to the battery. (I dropped it off with 52% then it sat at 63%.)

Day 2: no data

Day 3: my car was plugged in and charged to 100%

I have no idea if this is the orginal or replaced battery. I’m still using the gas loaner. So wierd having to use the pedal in the middle and a key to start. :D

The dealer is keeping my Bolt for a week for the new battery to come in. They gave me a Volt loaner which after 10 miles of driving I am not enjoying at all. The service adviser told me the Volt drives just like the Bolt. Not at all! The pedaling is so different. Hope we both get our Bolts back soon!

My Bolt’s been at the dealer for 8 days.
They have not touched the car.
They do NOT have replacement parts, aka the whole battery system.

My car is being held hostage and now I am PISSSED OFF!

The GM service advisor called me. My Bolt was driving fine. I was getting great range. No issues or warnings of any kind. Her EXACT WORDS WERE “we are holding replacement parts in your name at your local dealer for up to 14 days. Please schedule an appointment as soon as possible. We have Wednesday open (last Wed) if that works for you.”

Sure. Wednesday worked for me.

Now I had not heard from them in 8 days. I could tell from the MyChevy App that my Bolt has not added any miles (no test drives) and the battery state of charge has not changed. So I called them.

I’m told they have no replacements.
I’m told they have no time estimates.
I’m told replacement batteries are “hard to get a hold of”.
I’m told my car has been reclaimed by Chevy and they are not allowed to release it to me while they wait for parts.
I’m told they “got in trouble from corporate” for releasing a Bolt back to a customer without changing the battery earlier this year and they “aren’t going to do that again”.

So what are they afriad of?
Smells like fire, death, or destruction here.
What I first thought was good proactive customer service by them contacting me before I had a complaint, now smells more like a cover up. Like they are majorly trying to cover their asses.

I don’t read other groups. I don’t have the time to surf them all. Any more talk of this sudden recall of “normal” Bolts on other groups?

Curious, and very frustrating.
This is now costing me money.
They gave me a sucky gas loaner.
I get free charging at work.
I don’t get free gasoline at work.
I’ve spent $100 on gas this first week.

Back