Key Fob not recognized

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grestep5621

Interesting new problem tonight. Stopped by local store. Exited car and it autolocked. Returned to car and driver door unlocked when I hit the button, the passenger door did not unlock when I hit it again. Opened driver door and got in, but unlock buttons did not unlock car. Hit power button and received key fob not recognized and alarm. Placed key fob inside console, hit power button and car started and allowed the passenger to unlock. Drove car, parked car and turned it off. Exited car with fob in pocket, but car would not autolock. Car wouldn't recognize key fob. Called Onstar, they ran diagnostics. No problem found. Rebooted Infotainment unit with home+Fast Forward. Key Fob recognized. Car autolocks. Everything returned to proper functionality. Check range of key fob and it is as good as it was before. No sign of battery issue with key fob. Appears to be just a problem that occurred and required a Infotainment reboot to correct.

#16-NA-396: Intermittent Operation of Key Fobs, Door Unlock Inoperative “No Remote Detected” Message with Possible TPM MIL - (Jan 19, 2017).

Correction: If you encounter a vehicle with the above concern, replace the remote control door lock receiver.

This happened to me as well today. Was able to unlock the car as usual hitting the button on the door. Got in and I ended up getting the no key detected messages. I ended up exiting the car, locking the car with the key fob (it wouldn't respond to pushing the button). Also did a unlock/lock sequence using the myChevrolet app. I then waited a second, hit the button on the door, and was able to get in and start the car as normal.

Normally I'd chalk this up to having my phone blocking the key (which has happened before, and not just in this car, but our other cars that have smart-key systems), but my phone was nowhere near the fob or the door at the time.

I had this problem as well. It sounds like there might be a dealership fix (from BoltEV17's post). Although restarting, pressing buttons, and using magical incantations may help, this video shows what worked for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFYhMcnynE

It shows how to use the physical key to get in your Bolt if the key fob fails, and how to start your Bolt if it reports that your key fob isn't present (but it actually is). Since these may be the result of a dead key fob battery, it also shows how to replace the battery.

Back