EVgo DC chargers were horrible up until the beginning of 2018. They're still not perfect, but improvement is being made.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SparkEVPilot said:
IMAdolt said:
gpsman said:
I’d say they have gone from bad to better.
A Bolt EV still needs about 90 minutes to do a full charge, and an hour to do a decent charge.

I used them today on the new structure.
45 minutes gave me 20.4 kWh (one-third of a “tank”)
And cost me $9.20.

Yup. $9.20. Not a big deal, but 45 minutes x $0.20 per minute comes to $9 even.

Seems I was “connected to their network” for 45 minutes and 18 seconds. Even tho thier system started and stopped my charge system automatically, they learned from the cell phone companies how to charge for partial minutes. Also, since it was my first time and I didn’t pay that close attention, I don’t know if I was being charged during the 1 to 2 minutes of “handshake” time while thier network was communicating with my account, and the car was making a handshake with the charger.

Still better. But not as cheap or as good at ChargePoint. ChargePoint is most commonly $0.25 per kWh with no time limit, though I’ve seen higher, and they usually only charge by the kWh, although busy stations sometimes tack a per minute charge also, to encourage you to “move along” as soon as possible.

EVgo cost me $0.45 cents per kWh.

Pretty pricey, especially for what is essentially "half speed" fast charging

Doesn't the Bolt charging rate start to taper off after 50%? Also, was the station a 50 kWh ABB or the 40 kWh Drive the Arc? My Spark EV starts tapering off at 80%. However, I usually charge to 90% or 95% and, from my current statement, I am averaging 1.4 min per kWh [50 kWh ABB] for the entire charging session. At my current special offer rate of $0.15 per minute, my cost is $0.21 per kWh. At my regular EVgo membership rate of $0.21 per minute, my cost will be $0.30 per kWh. Note: For comparison, my current PG&E cost per kWh is $0.21169 for tier 1, $0.27993 for tier 2 and $0.43343 for tier 3 [rate plan E-1].

You averaged 2.21 min per kWh which suggests to me you were into the "tapered" charging area. You might want to check you minute / kWh rate before and after 50% to see how they differ as you approach 80 to 90% full charge.

I can't foresee any logical reason it would begin tapering it's charge at 50%, right when the chemistry is at it's most viable.

BoltEV said:
Maybe now you'll let MichaelLAX return to this board after you entered into a feud with him over the facts about how that network was financed and then had him banished from this board.

*I* neither banned him nor "had him banned". I stepped completely back and told the other moderators "you deal with him from now on, I am out". About three days after that (my communications with him during that time being pretty much "don't contact me anymore - contact some other moderator" and "you need to talk to another moderator about that - do not contact me" (repeatedly) one of the other moderators banned him (I actually am not sure which - I stepped back and tried my best to ignore him after that). I don't know (or don't remember) what it was that finally got him permanently banned (if he was - I guess so since he hasn't been back). I did find it rather amusing that one of the other mods only managed to stomach 3 days of his antics before he was banned.

In case anyone is interested, the high power EVgo charging station being built in Baker, CA between LA and Las Vegas is close to being finished.

This is a new update I just wrote:
https://electricrevs.com/2018/03/15/evgo-350-kw-station-nears-completion/

JeffN said:
In case anyone is interested, the high power EVgo charging station being built in Baker, CA between LA and Las Vegas is close to being finished.

This is a new update I just wrote:
https://electricrevs.com/2018/03/15/evgo-350-kw-station-nears-completion/

Nice article. The opening was mentioned on this thread several days ago : http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7564&p=30126&hilit=baker#p30125

From the article : "being constructed under the same legal settlement between the State of California and EVgo’s former parent company NRG Energy that accounts for most of the EVgo charging stations in the Golden State. "

Yes, one of the (major) reasons why I dislike EVgo - the California consumers paid for their entire (CA) network: up-front.

SparkE said:
From the article : "being constructed under the same legal settlement between the State of California and EVgo’s former parent company NRG Energy that accounts for most of the EVgo charging stations in the Golden State. "

Yes, one of the (major) reasons why I dislike EVgo - the California consumers paid for their entire (CA) network: up-front.
You seem to have quite an axe to grind against EVgo and its parent, NRG Energy.

Your positions are wrong twice: you mis-summarize the power disruptions that occurred in 2000-2001 and the settlement between NRG and the State of California as somehow accounting for their charging stations being paid for by California consumers.

It is well known that the "bad actor" of the power disruptions was ENRON.

Furthermore, those municipal utilities that were smart enough to own their own generating and distribution facilities, such as LADWP of Los Angeles actually made money on the disruption; LADWP reported a $111 million profit that was used to reduce the rates of its subscribers in the City of Los Angeles.

The State of California and then Governor Gray Davis, then sued to invalidate the long term, high priced energy contracts that they entered into in an attempt to stabilize the energy market at that time. Some companies voluntarily negotiated out of these contracts, but NRG decided to defend their position in court.

After 10 years of pre-trial litigation, Governor Jerry Brown come to office and entered into a win-win settlement which had NRG spend $100 million OF ITS MONEY on electric car charging infrastructure which settled this long standing lawsuit.

I dislike Cadillac; but I don't go join one of their forums and bad mouth their cars... I just don't buy or lease one.

If you don't like EVgo; don't charge there!

NRG/EVgo was sold to a new group last year, somewhat alleviating my anger issues.

I still have never charged at an EVgo station.

BoltEV said:
{...} you mis-summarize the power disruptions that occurred in 2000-2001 {...}

Where did I do that? (I'm not saying you are wrong, I just went back and read the post you quoted, and I don't see it, so I am confused.)

SparkE said:
NRG/EVgo was sold to a new group last year, somewhat alleviating my anger issues.

Whether you individually support or do not support EVgo doesn't mean squat to those of us who are very glad we have EVgo DCFC charging locations to extend the range of our EVs. I have used EVgo DCFC charging locations for almost 3 years and I am very satisfied with what EVgo has made available to the charging public and I plan to continue to support their efforts in the future. Nuf Said!

SparkEVPilot said:
SparkE said:

Whether you individually support or do not support EVgo doesn't mean squat to those of us who are very glad we have EVgo DCFC charging locations to extend the range of our EVs. I have used EVgo DCFC charging locations for almost 3 years and I am very satisfied with what EVgo has made available to the charging public and I plan to continue to support their efforts in the future. Nuf Said!

Yeah, you live in an area where you don't have much DCFC choice, and EVgo has made a load of difference to you. Great!

I live in an area where I can avoid EVgo, and I do. Great for me.

I have to agree with SparkEVPilot.

I went back and looked and the sheer volume of negative posts you have made here against EVgo is way over the top for someone who should just not utilize their network if he is unhappy with it and has alternatives. One has to question whether you have pecuniary reasons to make so many negative posts.

I have been a $14.95 monthly customer for one year and just switched to their new $9.95 monthly plan.

They are a mix with ChargePoint and other vendors that are useful depending upon my needs geographically at that time.

When I do or don't like a vendor, I do or don't use them, post a helpful notice for others and move on.

SparkE said:
Yeah, you live in an area where you don't have much DCFC choice, and EVgo has made a load of difference to you. Great!

I live in an area where I can avoid EVgo, and I do. Great for me.
In Washington State virtually all the fast chargers are EVgo. While you may be miffed at what happened with EVgo in California, I think it's noteworthy that they have been active in other states to provide a fast charging infrastructure where nobody else has. That's a mark for them in the "plus" column as far as I'm concerned.

Another mark in the "plus" column for me is the fact that the couple of times I've had to interact with them their customer service has been fast and very good.

Yes, they have made a move in the right direction. But... we need to keep the pressure on them to continue to lower the prices. Without the feedback and pressure, they will not lower the prices, which are the highest in the industry.

Evoforce said:
Yes, they have made a move in the right direction. But... we need to keep the pressure on them to continue to lower the prices. Without the feedback and pressure, they will not lower the prices, which are the highest in the industry.

Actually, with the new price structure, they aren't that expensive anymore. About $0.20/min isn't that expensive for "electrons on the go". Sure, if you use a credit card (random passer-by vs. "member") they are probably more expensive, but why shouldn't they be?

With the new pricing, if you use DCFC just once a month it is basically worth it to join their subscription plan: $10/month, where you get the first $10 each month "free" (well, "pre-paid minimum" is probably a better term). At $.20/min, that's 50 mins of DCFC charging a month.

SeanNelson said:
While you may be miffed at what happened with EVgo in California...
That's the point, nothing happened in California to be miffed at EVgo about and that misinformation and the title of this thread are the continuing misinformation that does a disservice to EV drivers who need EVgo's service.

If anything, EVgo could have spent that $100 million a bit faster, but then again where are all the Interstate-5 DCFC fast chargers that ChargePoint promised us?!?

More distressing, is that with all the new long range EVs coming to the market starting later this year (Jaguar, etc.) and no real buildup of infrastructure to deal with the demand, those of us who use the Bolt EV to drive city to city are in a real pickle at any price!

SparkE said:
BoltEV said:
Maybe now you'll let MichaelLAX return to this board after you entered into a feud with him over the facts about how that network was financed and then had him banished from this board.

*I* neither banned him nor "had him banned". I stepped completely back and told the other moderators "you deal with him from now on, I am out". About three days after that (my communications with him during that time being pretty much "don't contact me anymore - contact some other moderator" and "you need to talk to another moderator about that - do not contact me" (repeatedly) one of the other moderators banned him (I actually am not sure which - I stepped back and tried my best to ignore him after that). I don't know (or don't remember) what it was that finally got him permanently banned (if he was - I guess so since he hasn't been back). I did find it rather amusing that one of the other mods only managed to stomach 3 days of his antics before he was banned.
And there is the rub; a continuation of this unfair condemnation of someone who clearly does not have the opportunity to defend himself.

I have spoken to him on another forum and reviewed his posts on this board.

It seems he was guilty of being too vociferous in his rebuttal of some claims about long-term battery capacity decline and other issues that were posted primarily by non-Bolt EV users who had no experience with the Bolt.

His point was that he was being singled out for his aggressive style and used YOU as an example of another member of this forum who has a similar style and yet is not singled out; especially since you are a moderator.

His primary example was your erroneous and aggressive factual attack on his rebuttal about the history of how NRG paid its $100 million towards electric car chargers and his rebuttal with the true facts.

Not content to let him state the facts, you apparently deleted his last post discerning the difference between a "fine" and a "settlement" and then the discussions all went to private messages between him and you and the other moderators.

Looks like the punishment on this board for defending yourself against a moderator in private is a permanent ban.

If there are 3 days of antics that we are missing here, please point them out to us; I certainly can't find them.

I used to avoid EVgo like a plague, but I now use them for my long trip (SanJose<->LA) and I miss them when it's not available. It also helps that there is a special pricing going on at $0.20/min without subscription in California until June.

You guys probably know this, but.....

With the new 45 minute time limit and new price policy of 20 cents per minute (no matter how much power you take) the charging automatically stops at 45 minutes.

BUT THEY KEEP CHARGING YOU 20 CENTS PER MINUTE FOR AS LONG AS THE CORD IS ATTACHED TO YOUR VEHICLE.

While better than 30 minutes, still no relaxing dinners are possible while on an EVGo DCFC.

If you care about wasting money, you still have to set a stopwatch to be at your vehicle at exactly 45 min to unplug or start a second session.

I understand this is incentive to move along and let others charge.

How about this instead: keep the 45 minute limit but stripe 2 (or even 4) EV parking stalls within range of the cord so the next guy can park next to me and move the cord after I’m done with my 45 minutes BUT STILL EATING DINNER!?!?!! Sometimes (often) you have to walk a distance to find dinner and shopping.

I, for one, appreciate EVgo's attempt at moving us along. If you've ever been on a road trip and unable to access the DCFC, you'd appreciate ANYTHING to keep that space clear. Just read some of the PlugShare comments about being blocked by vehicles that have completed their charge. More than once I've interrupted my meal to go out and move the car - hey, I was thankful that at least there was a restaurant in the proximity of the DCFC. gpsman, your suggestion is good and I've seen it implemented, but often parking spaces are at a premium and reserving extra spaces is prohibitive.

Looks like at some Charge America stations they have a 10 minute or 20 minute grace period before charging you for “idle time”.

At some (not all) ChargePoint stations they will email and / or text you that A) your time limit is up - please move your vehicle within 15 minutes B) your vehicle has completed charging - please move your vehicle within 15 minutes. C) your vehicle is drawing very little power - this means either your vehicle is nearly finished charging, or you have your vehicle set to delay charging. Please check on your vehicle within 15 minutes.

When no one was waiting, I let it go past 15 minutes and you get another email warning (up to 3 times in 45 minutes) but I was never charged any penalty. This is up to the location owner. ChargePoint does not set pricing.

Some ChargePoint stations also let you reserve a charge time and go on a “waitlist”. Whichever you do, you have a 15 minute window to begin charging. If on a waitlist, you can leave, but must begin charging within 15 minutes of the previous person stopping. Again this must be an option ChargePoint provides, but it is up to the idividual owner to implement or not.

Back