Lessons Learned From a Long Distance Winter Road Trip in a Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro19991

https://bro05.blogspot.com/2018/01/lessons-learned-from-long-distance.html?m=1

The one line takeaway? Gas cars are still King for road trips for the time being. Especially if you have an impatient wife

Eh, I'm fine with being a guinea pig so others can learn from my experiences.

Like take the train to NYC instead of drive.

Thanks for sharing bro!

I'll be taking my own winter road trip next weekend - 360 miles in a single day, mostly along I-90 between Syracuse and Albany NY. Unfortunately, I-90 is a wasteland for charging, unlike I-95. Hopefully it will get there soon.

You mention that you use TorquePro. Is that how you read battery temp? What other useful information does it give you? Is it worth buying? (I assume the "Pro" version costs money).

Any idea how much power it takes to condition the battery? I only have a 15A/240V Voltec EVSE in my garage. Will that be enough to precondition/preheat everything without dipping into the battery?

Other than planning charging options (and being mindful of those obnoxious, unmentioned, 30 minute limits), any other lessons learned that I overlooked?

BTW, I agree completely on the charge taper for the Bolt. I don't understand it. I mean, even at the max rate (~55kW), it's less than a 1C charge rate. That seems overly conservative. I thought Lithium batteries should be able to charge at a 2C rate (which would be 120kW) up to 80%. Either that's not true for the Bolt's battery, or GM is just being ridiculously conservative here.

GetOffYourGas said:
Thanks for sharing bro!

I'll be taking my own winter road trip next weekend - 360 miles in a single day, mostly along I-90 between Syracuse and Albany NY. Unfortunately, I-90 is a wasteland for charging, unlike I-95. Hopefully it will get there soon.

You mention that you use TorquePro. Is that how you read battery temp? What other useful information does it give you? Is it worth buying? (I assume the "Pro" version costs money).

Any idea how much power it takes to condition the battery? I only have a 15A/240V Voltec EVSE in my garage. Will that be enough to precondition/preheat everything without dipping into the battery?

Other than planning charging options (and being mindful of those obnoxious, unmentioned, 30 minute limits), any other lessons learned that I overlooked?

BTW, I agree completely on the charge taper for the Bolt. I don't understand it. I mean, even at the max rate (~55kW), it's less than a 1C charge rate. That seems overly conservative. I thought Lithium batteries should be able to charge at a 2C rate (which would be 120kW) up to 80%. Either that's not true for the Bolt's battery, or GM is just being ridiculously conservative here.

The pro version costs $5 I believe, and is totally worth it if you want to "nerd out" on detailed information about the battery/charging.
Once properly configured, it can keep logs of every drive (including GPS/speed location, and any data you choose to also log).

Other tips? Don't drive to NYC. :p

bro19991 said:
The pro version costs $5 I believe, and is totally worth it if you want to "nerd out" on detailed information about the battery/charging.
Once properly configured, it can keep logs of every drive (including GPS/speed location, and any data you choose to also log).

Is the app available on iOS or just Android? I searched for it and the only hit I got was $10 and had tons of 1-star reviews screaming "this is not the app you are looking for! do not buy!"

As for driving in NYC, I would never do that anyway. My mother lives 10 minutes from the "Southeast" Metro North train station. I just take the train into the city from there.

GetOffYourGas said:
bro19991 said:

Is the app available on iOS or just Android? I searched for it and the only hit I got was $10 and had tons of 1-star reviews screaming "this is not the app you are looking for! do not buy!"

As for driving in NYC, I would never do that anyway. My mother lives 10 minutes from the "Southeast" Metro North train station. I just take the train into the city from there.

Looks like Android only. It may be worth to get a cheapo Android phone to use with TorquePro.

Yeah, I might have to. And I'll have to hide it better than I did last time. I used to have an old Android phone in my Leaf, for running the LeafSpy app but it got stolen one day.

I’ve driven from San Francisco to Disneyland (Anahiem area) twice. Once in 60 degrees temps and once in 40’s and 50 degree temps.

Both trips were the same as far and time and range.
I do one 30 minute DCFC and one 60 minute DCFC along the way.

Considering we’d always stop for one meal and/or one gas station stop along the way in a gasoline car, this trip is only about 30 minutes longer in the Bolt EV.

However, driving home the first time I encountered a head wind and had to slow down to 55 mph so my range would stay about the same (as driving 65).

Thanks for that interesting trip report. Having put 20 years in the NYPD I find that I have no desire to return to that city (too crowded, too expensive, too noisy, too tough to get around. But, otherwise, it's fine.)

Hope to pick up either a Bolt (most likely choice) or a used 2018 Leaf (long shot), summer of 2019. The car ain't gonna leave Cape Cod, for all the reasons you mentioned in your post!

Best,

Rich

bro19991 said:
https://bro05.blogspot.com/2018/01/lessons-learned-from-long-distance.html?m=1

The one line takeaway? Gas cars are still King for road trips for the time being. Especially if you have an impatient wife

Re: "cold temp driving" : stumbled across this 12V electric blanket for cold weather driving. This might be ONE answer to not losing so much winter range in a BEV (don't use the heater as much) :

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Blanket-Tailgating-Emergency-Stalwart-BLUE/dp/B001QJQ22O/

I am sure there are other brands.

That one is very like the one I used the Winter before I retired. It worked well. Make sure you cover most of your legs as well with it, for optimum effect.

gpsman said:
I’ve driven from San Francisco to Disneyland (Anahiem area) twice. Once in 60 degrees temps and once in 40’s and 50 degree temps.

Both trips were the same as far and time and range.
I do one 30 minute DCFC and one 60 minute DCFC along the way.

Considering we’d always stop for one meal and/or one gas station stop along the way in a gasoline car, this trip is only about 30 minutes longer in the Bolt EV.

However, driving home the first time I encountered a head wind and had to slow down to 55 mph so my range would stay about the same (as driving 65).

Where did you stop for those charging sessions?
Thanks,

Back