What do you know, it Fits........

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dancingboy

I didn't plan on using a Bolt to carry my rowing shell,..... When you stop going to gas stations to buy fuel it becomes addictive, I want to use my Bolt as much as possible so here is my recent incarnation of what some would use a full size pickup truck to carry.

And yes! of course it looks scary! and possibly illegal, but forgiveness is easier than permission.
BTW the rowing shell weighs 30lbs
IMG_0131-X3.jpg

IMG_0132-X3.jpg

IMG_0128-X3.jpg

cheers

Wow, I'd be terrified to drive with something that long on my roof! Looks good though. Is that hitch-mount support something you bought directly from Thule?

Indeed, it is straight from Thule, it uses a 2" receiver, I had to put in an adapter from the drawtite hitch 1 1/4 to 2" to use it. Everything snugged down incredibly well and it is solid.

Probably not illegal but watch out for poles and signs and people going around sharp curves!

That front overhang is what is going to get you into trouble, I think. I'd be amazed if that were legal. Also, when I tried an adapter shim for a bike rack on another setup, there was too much play in the receiver with the shim in place for safety. Hopefully your setup has no such play.

The rear hitch T mount with anti rattle hardware was successful but still had a teeny tiny amount of play, probably like your bike rack. Luckily the rack I've assembled connects to the vehicle in 5 places and has 9 attachments with the shell rack over the the three crossbars...... So you can't budge this rack. In terms of illegal..... your probably right, but the state troopers and city police don't seem to care as of yet. I may go back to using my Toyota Tundra to carry the shells anyway.
cheers

Good luck. Keep in mind that, for example, you are technically parked in front of that fire hydrant in the photo, and actually might obstruct it in some situations.

LeftieBiker you don't miss anything :D
I don't leave the shell on the car while it's parked, I removed the boat and stored it just after taking the photo.
Although,...... I wonder if I could fit two bikes, two rowing shells, a dog, a cat and a little kitten on top of my Bolt just to drive you crazy :lol:

You misunderstand - I'm not upset, just trying to provide a good analysis of the situation. Heck, I once towed a junked Volvo P1800S with a Volvo 122S - both cars were the same size.

Good job. Looks great from here. Always thought any type of vehicle should earn its keep.
Will post pic of what I will do with my Bolt as soon as dealer gets carrier hitch installed.

Back