Amazon Package Delivery To Your Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

Just found out about this new Amazon delivery service and signed up for it.

My Bolt is always parked in my driveway when I'm not using it and it's an easy and convenient delivery point. Can just drive one of my other cars if I'm expecting a delivery. Going to buy something soon just to see how well the service works.

You need to be an Amazon Prime Member and link your OnStar account to your Amazon account w/the Amazon Key app to use it and you have to be located in an "eligible" area where the service is being offered. You check your "eligibility" by using the Amazon link below.

You can link your OnStar account to Amazon Key to allow the delivery person to unlock/lock the car even if you didn't opt for full OnStar service after the 1st year (as I did or didn't).

Here are a couple of links for info, if you're interested and don't know about it already:

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17051031011#eligibility

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/24/17261744/amazon-package-delivery-car-trunk-gm-volvo

I wondered if this would work with the Bolt, just because the articles I saw mentioned they would remotely pop the trunk.
I don't think that is a feature we have???
We can remotely have our car (including the trunk) unlocked so it can be opened, but I don't think we can remotely pop the trunk.

Does that matter????

As I keep my Bolt garaged, it won't help me, but interesting option for people (and I think I would rather give a delivery guy access to my car than my front door).

desiv

desiv said:
I wondered if this would work with the Bolt, just because the articles I saw mentioned they would remotely pop the trunk.
We can remotely have our car (including the trunk) unlocked so it can be opened, but I don't think we can remotely pop the trunk.

Does that matter????

As I keep my Bolt garaged, it won't help me, but interesting option for people (and I think I would rather give a delivery guy access to my car than my front door).

desiv

Yes, you can remote unlock/lock your Bolt via the OnStar or MyChevy apps. Amazon is able to open the car using it's KeyPass program linked w/the OnStar info that you have to give them but they CANNOT start or drive the car (or so they say).

Personally, I'm not worried about it. An order to try out the new deliver system is still pending.

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm setting it up. Now, what should I buy to test it? :?:

FAIL! That service is not available in my zip code. My Bolt is my commuter so I'd have to have the packages delivered to my work, but it isn't offered here yet. ... oh well I'll buy something anyway ;)

sgt1372 said:
desiv said:

Yes, you can remote unlock/lock your Bolt via the OnStar or MyChevy apps. Amazon is able to open the car using it's KeyPass program linked w/the OnStar info that you have to give them but they CANNOT start or drive the car (or so they say). .
I know they can remotely unlock the whole car.
But they specifically are talking about remotely "opening the trunk" which is a feature a lot of new cars have, but i don't think the Bolt does.
Yes they can remotely unlock the car, but I am not sure they can remotely "pop the trunk."

I was wondering if that would be an issue for them?
Or would they just remotely unlock the whole car, so the delivery guy can manually pop the trunk, and they they will remotely re-lock the car?

desiv

desiv said:
sgt1372 said:
desiv said:

Yes, you can remote unlock/lock your Bolt via the OnStar or MyChevy apps. Amazon is able to open the car using it's KeyPass program linked w/the OnStar info that you have to give them but they CANNOT start or drive the car (or so they say). .
I know they can remotely unlock the whole car.
But they specifically are talking about remotely "opening the trunk" which is a feature a lot of new cars have, but i don't think the Bolt does.
Yes they can remotely unlock the car, but I am not sure they can remotely "pop the trunk."

I was wondering if that would be an issue for them?
Or would they just remotely unlock the whole car, so the delivery guy can manually pop the trunk, and they they will remotely re-lock the car?

desiv

I assume they will have to unlock the whole car which will allow them manually open the trunk, put the package in and then relock the car (if you don't have the auto relock feature engaged, as I do).

Not worried about them taking anything from the car because, if I'm going to let them do this, I'm not going to leave anything in the car that I don't want to lose to begin with.

Now instead of stealing your package, thieves will steal your package and break into your car as a bonus.

Great! :roll:

Looks like the Amazon in-car delivery has been a failure for me but the results are still pending.

Placed an order yesterday but there was no indication in the order or shipping confirmation that it will be delivered to my Bolt. Had an unsatisfying "chat" w/Amazon customer service and no one could tell me if it was going to be shipped to my car, despite doing everything Amazon said I had to do to achieve that.

If the item ends up in the car, all good, but I'm assuming that it will just be delivered to and left at my door by USPS, which is who Amazon says is making the delivery. If that's the case, I will "unlink" the Bolt from the program and go back to the way I normally receive deliveries., which is at my post office.

Will post an update on the results after the package is received.

sgt1372 said:
If that's the case, I will "unlink" the Bolt from the program and go back to the way I normally receive deliveries., which is at my post office.
Keep us posted on the results.

For the past few shipments I've been using the automated Amazon lockers that they've installed at one of our local malls. It works great, and I love not having to worry about deliveries until I'm ready to pick them up.

Ok, I got the package and it was delivered by USPS to my house; not by Amazon to my car.

After over 15 mins via chat w/Amazon customer service, they still couldn't tell me if the package was being delivered for in-car delivery or not and, if not, why not.

With all the technology available, you'd think they'd be able to give me this info w/o difficulty but I think I figured it out myself.

The reason seems to be that the package was sent direct to me by the vendor in San Bernadino, CA; not handled and shipped by Amazon. So, the new program may only work if Amazon is fulfilling the order; rather than the vendor.

The item description said that it was being sold by the vendor but "fulfilled" by Amazon but that apparently did not occur.

I was excited by the concept but, it's still a new program, and they obviously still have some bugs to work out. So, I've decided to forget about using the in-car delivery program and have "unlinked" my car from Amazon Key program for now.

I may try it again in the future but will just go back to taking deliveries at my PO ( which accepts both mail and UPS/FedEx deliveries for me as a PO Box holder) as I have in the past.

sgt1372 said:
The item description said that it was being sold by the vendor but "fulfilled" by Amazon but that apparently did not occur.
You'd have thought that would be the ticket. Oh well. I've ordered several items at once "fulfilled by Amazon" and had them billed and shipped separately, so I'm not really sure just how much value to place on that designation.

Amazon has warehouses in multiple locations, so many times orders will come in multiple packages. "Fulfillment by Amazon" means they store the items in their facilities and bill/pick/pack/ship for the vendor.

Only items shipped via Amazons own shipping company will be eligible for in car delivery (or in home if you have their fancy lockset)- USPS, UPS, Fedex, etc don't have access. Sometimes the Amazon driver is in what is obviously their personal vehicle, but more often seeing them in white delivery vans.

Shipping/Tracking will look something like this:
Shipped with AMZL US
Tracking ID TBA**********

DucRider said:
Amazon has warehouses in multiple locations, so many times orders will come in multiple packages. "Fulfillment by Amazon" means they store the items in their facilities and bill/pick/pack/ship for the vendor.
Yeah, I guess I kind of expected them to have every item in all locations, but that's probably not realistic. I'm sure their systems try to optimize the hell out of every aspect of warehousing and delivery.

I spotted an Amazon warehouse near an RV site I was staying in at Patterson CA. I've never seen so many semitrailers and loading docks in my entire life...

Back