How do you turn the radio off?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdavie

How on earth do you turn the radio off?

To be clear - I don't mean "how do you turn all audio off" - I always listen to my phone's music via CarPlay. I never (literally never) want the radio to play any music, ever. Is there any way to get it to not turn on every single time I get in the car, and is there any way to get it to not switch back to blasting music 10 times louder than CarPlay ever time I unplug my phone?

I've only had the car for one day and it's already driving me crazy.

There is already a topic for this. There is no direct way to turn off the audio, believe it or not. IIRC, plugging an empty thumb drive, or possibly even just a USB cable, into the USB port should cause the audio to default to that input, and thus produce silence due to lack of music on the drive.

LeftieBiker said:
There is already a topic for this. There is no direct way to turn off the audio, believe it or not. IIRC, plugging an empty thumb drive, or possibly even just a USB cable, into the USB port should cause the audio to default to that input, and thus produce silence due to lack of music on the drive.
The USB cable solution unfortunately doesn't work. And A USB stick then occupies the port and stops me plugging my phone in to use CarPlay. It's completely crazy that you can't make the damn thing never play the radio, especially when the default volume for the radio is about 10 times louder than anything else, so it comes blasting out and wakes up the baby as soon as you unplug your phone.

Top tip for the month, that someone from my work came up with:

Sirius XM station 0 is silent. You can "listen" to it even if you don't have a Sirius subscription. Set it as your only favourite, and the radio will be silent until you plug in a phone.

tomdavie said:
By far the easiest (and, IMHO, most intuitive) solution is to simply turn the volume down to zero, like the old radios that had their "off" switch at the extreme counter-clockwise end of the volume knob. This won't affect listening to USB sticks, Android Auto, CarPlay etc. because the infotainment system remembers a discrete volume level for each input. And since it remembers the volumes, it means that the radio volume will stay at zero even if you turn the car off and then on again.

tomdavie said:

To be clear - I don't mean "how do you turn all audio off" - I always listen to my phone's music via CarPlay. I never (literally never) want the radio to play any music, ever. Is there any way to get it to not turn on every single time I get in the car, and is there any way to get it to not switch back to blasting music 10 times louder than CarPlay ever time I unplug my phone?

I've only had the car for one day and it's already driving me crazy.

I too wish to know how to shut it off.... Mainly to shut down the WIFI hot spot, which, there is a switch to do so but it doesn't work, the wifi stays on all the time.

I asked the dealership but the service advisor looked at me as if I'm crazy.

I don't care to be continually microwaved, so would like to be able to shut it down, especially since I don't have any data. Anyone know how?

Back