yuril
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Think I have been spoiled by 3 years of Volt and a few months of Bolt ownership...Want to see my battery charging status remotely -- just push a couple buttons on my smart phone or computer screen. Well, not anymore, at least not with my basic plan, per OnStar support. :evil:

It seems that GM has become so greedy it wants to charge you $$$ even for this (very basic) functionality. Big potential hit to their brand loyalty. I am advising people to switch to Tesla now, and they do listen.

sgt1372
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:08 pm

yuril wrote:Think I have been spoiled by 3 years of Volt and a few months of Bolt ownership...Want to see my battery charging status remotely -- just push a couple buttons on my smart phone or computer screen. Well, not anymore, at least not with my basic plan, per OnStar support. :evil:

It seems that GM has become so greedy it wants to charge you $$$ even for this (very basic) functionality. Big potential hit to their brand loyalty. I am advising people to switch to Tesla now, and they do listen.


Not sure what you are complaining about.

I didn't sign up for the extended OnStar services after the 1st year (or was it 6 months, I forget) but still have remote control for locks/startup and can get the battery status, tire pressures, efficency and odometer readings, a "Smart Driver" use assessment and recall status for the car using the OnStar app w/o paying anything for the info.

As I recall, these basic services are available for 5 years after the date of lease/purchase, Well past the 3 yr period of my lease.
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

yuril
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Well, not everyone is lucky then. This is all I have been getting on my computer screen, starting at about month 5 of ownership:
"My Charging & Efficiency Status / We're sorry. There was an error connecting to your vehicle..."

Sure I called OnStart support a couple times to ask about this, and the message was "This is by design. Now you need to upgrade your plan to Guidance to see the battery charging status and use other features besides lock/unlock/remote start"...

sgt1372
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 pm

yuril wrote:Well, not everyone is lucky then. This is all I have been getting on my computer screen, starting at about month 5 of ownership:
"My Charging & Efficiency Status / We're sorry. There was an error connecting to your vehicle..."

Sure I called OnStart support a couple times to ask about this, and the message was "This is by design. Now you need to upgrade your plan to Guidance to see the battery charging status and use other features besides lock/unlock/remote start"...


This doesn't sound right. Are you talking about the computer screen in your car or at home?

I can log into Onstar on my computer at home and get all the basic info there and they send me monthly diagnostic reports automatically by email w/o me doing anything.

Remote control is only available through the app but I can get the same basic info available on the computer on my phone via the app.

Hopefully other people will chime in about their experiences with this.
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

cranial1963
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 am

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:50 pm

I have had my Bolt for 14 months now.
Via the apps, both OnStar RemoteLink and myChevrolet , I can get charging status, issue Remote Commands, etc...
However, via https://my.chevrolet.com/home, the "My Charging & Efficiency Status" no longer works, even though
it used to.
So now, I just use the apps on my phone and no longer use the website.

max9952001
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm

cranial1963 wrote:I have had my Bolt for 14 months now.
Via the apps, both OnStar RemoteLink and myChevrolet , I can get charging status, issue Remote Commands, etc...
However, via https://my.chevrolet.com/home, the "My Charging & Efficiency Status" no longer works, even though
it used to.
So now, I just use the apps on my phone and no longer use the website.


Same here.

sgt1372
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:42 am

True, I cannot get the "Charging and Efficiency Status" from the Onstar website anymore (not sure I could ever get it from the Chevy website) but it's still available on both the Chevy and OnStar apps, so, if that is the only complaint, I don't see how it matters.
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

yuril
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Mon May 07, 2018 9:07 pm

The issue with OnStar / MyChevrolet mobile apps ("Invalid user input. Please try again. (105)" ) was confirmed by other GM customers.
So the verdict is "Greedy GM", unfortunately.

cranial1963
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 am

Re: Remote Link -- Useless with OnStar Basic Plan?

Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Update: 5/14/18: the "My Charging & Efficiency Status" on the https://my.chevrolet.com/myvehicle website is now working.
I wonder if this is related to my dealer visit last week to get the recall/software update(s)?

Return to “Chevrolet Bolt Reviews”