Saw new recall on mychevrolet today

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeffN said:
astroboy said:
chevy is tripping again... despite having done N172127150 in on 4/25 we got a letter in the mail yesterday saying the car needs a software patch related to battery management and sudden shutdown, which i assume is the same thing.

on mychevrolet the recalls have been cleared out though. so some part of their database/tracking system works.
There is a new additional battery propulsion shutdown update that has to be dealer-installed. It applies to both 2017 and 2018 Bolts and you need it even if you already had the earlier update applied to a 2017 Bolt EV recently.

For details see:
https://electricrevs.com/2018/05/10/gm-releases-new-round-of-updates-for-all-bolt-evs/

seriously??? it would be nice if the letter stated that. i have nothing on mychevrolet regarding this 2nd patch so it seemed the letter was referring to the one i quoted above.

thanks for the heads up

astroboy said:
seriously??? it would be nice if the letter stated that. i have nothing on mychevrolet regarding this 2nd patch so it seemed the letter was referring to the one i quoted above.

Weird thing that I found was that the new recall isn't listed on the MyChev/MyGM website, but it is on my phone app.

RickCH said:
astroboy said:

Weird thing that I found was that the new recall isn't listed on the MyChev/MyGM website, but it is on my phone app.

Just checked my myChevrolet app and there are no recalls listed. Geesh.

i just called my service advisor and gave him my VIN and he said there are no new updates. he then told me the update i had done in late april was campaign #18097 which matches the number on the letter i received.

so either the article above is erroneous or chevy released this info to the press before they notified dealers and customers about the new update...

astroboy said:
i just called my service advisor and gave him my VIN and he said there are no new updates. he then told me the update i had done in late april was campaign #18097 which matches the number on the letter i received.

so either the article above is erroneous or chevy released this info to the press before they notified dealers and customers about the new update...
My article at ElectricRevs was based on a detailed phone interview with a GM press spokesperson and it includes an official statement sent to me by email by the press rep that makes it clear that this new update is for the 2017 Bolt as well even if you had the previous update done — so you don’t have to take my word for it. The same official statement is also quoted by other media sites.

I think what happened is that GM saw people with the 2018 Bolt starting to get the new letter in the postal mail (they were sent first to 2018 owners) and wanted to clarify things because they saw some confusion arising on social media sites. Unfortunately, the word has not gotten out to dealers and some internal GM databases yet.

I would just wait a bit for things to settle down and then try again. You should be getting a new letter for “recall” number 18125, I think. If you have a 2017 and already did the earlier recall number 18097 update then the newer 18125 update mostly just makes your driving range estimate smarter if your car is unfortunate enough to develop a weakening battery cell. It’s a good update to get but it’s not super urgent.

JeffN said:
astroboy said:

My article at ElectricRevs was based on a detailed phone interview with a GM press spokesperson and it includes an official statement sent to me by email by the press rep that makes it clear that this new update is for the 2017 Bolt as well even if you had the previous update done — so you don’t have to take my word for it. The same official statement is also quoted by other media sites.

I think what happened is that GM saw people with the 2018 Bolt starting to get the new letter in the postal mail (they were sent first to 2018 owners) and wanted to clarify things because they saw some confusion arising on social media sites. Unfortunately, the word has not gotten out to dealers and some internal GM databases yet.

I would just wait a bit for things to settle down and then try again. You should be getting a new letter for “recall” number 18125, I think. If you have a 2017 and already did the earlier recall number 18097 update then the newer 18125 update mostly just makes your driving range estimate smarter if your car is unfortunate enough to develop a weakening battery cell. It’s a good update to get but it’s not super urgent.

well i did say *either* so no need to take offense. regardless what did GM think would happen if they talked to the media about a forthcoming campaign before notifying dealers? and in this day and age it's not like someone has to pick up the phone at GM headquarters and call every dealership... you just push some data into a database and there it is. so there's kind of no excuse for the media release coming before the actual dealer-visible update. unless i'm un-necessarily giving GM the benefit of the doubt here and they distribute data to their dealers using a tape tree or something.

since 18125 came right on the heels of 18097 it gave me the feeling that they are thrashing on these updates and not testing stuff properly before releasing. but i guess because 18125 is relatively serious they can be forgiven for pushing it out too fast.

something possibly related... i was expecting a fedex package and received a text that a package was on its way, however, when i checked the details, the text i got referred to a fedex envelope with a PO# of... the VIN of my bolt.

not sure what that's about but i guess i'll find out today.

FedEx letter below re GM Program Number 18125:

May 2018

Your vehicle is involved in Customer Satisfaction Program 18125.

Dear General Motors Customer:

Previously, you were notified that your 2017 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicle was involved in product field action 18097. This field action involves the reprogramming of the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 to correct a battery "state of charge" detection issue. Specifically, the previous software may not have detected the difference in the charge level between the cell groups of the battery and over predict the indicated battery range. This condition may result in a loss of vehicle propulsion.

Our records indicate that you have already had this correction performed on your vehicle, which we greatly appreciate. However, as part of our continuous product improvement process, enhanced software for your vehicle has been developed and is now available. This supplemental software will increase the accuracy of your vehicle's range estimator, so if you experience a cell low voltage condition, you should observe a reduced battery range in real time and be able to navigate to a safe place to have your vehicle serviced.

Therefore, we are asking customers who received the previously released software update to schedule another service appointment with their Chevrolet dealer to receive this latest software update. Again, this improved software will increase the accuracy of your vehicle's range estimator, in addition to providing more warning in the event of a cell low voltage condition.
We know it may be a nuisance for you to service your vehicle again so soon, but we want to make sure that you have the best possible software as soon as it is available.

Even though we still expect only a small percentage of vehicles to be affected by this battery cell quality issue, please contact your Chevrolet dealer to schedule a service appointment as soon as possible. The dealer will reprogram your vehicle with the latest updated software. This service will be performed for you at no charge until May 31, 2020. After that, any applicable warranty coverage will apply.

If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
Division Number Text Telephones
(TTY)
Chevrolet 1-800-222-1020 1-800-833-2438
Puerto Rico - English 1-800-496-9992
Puerto Rico - Español 1-800-496-9993
Virgin Islands 1-800-496-9994
We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Chevrolet Bolt EV provides you with many miles of enjoyable driving.
Neelie O'Connor
Executive Director
North America Contact Center Operations
GM Program Number: 18125

I obviously have no knowledge of exactly what they are doing in the software updates but my experience is that after the original 18097 (N172127150) update I was getting significantly better mi/kW readings, easy to get 4.5 instead of struggling to get 4.0. I know the weather warmed up a bit, but it is consistently showing way better than ever. And with that, when I charge, hilltop mode, I show 236 miles available. My guess from this anecdotal evidence is they goofed somehow in the original update and are now correcting that problem. I should easily be able to tell when I get it done.

astroboy said:
sure enough, LOL that's what it was. a letter thanking me for doing 18097 and informing me of 18125. hopefully my service advisor is aware of this by now.
I’m glad that was cleared up. Thanks to ‘keijidosha’ for posting the text of the new letter.

Back