This Stupid Recall Just Broke My Car

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Bolt now has the battery update. It was pulled right before I went in last time, then reissued two days later.
I discharged the battery to 9% in the process. Now charging back to 90%.

I got the “battery issues” recall software update at the Dealer while asking them not to install the “infotainment” recall update.

However the OnStar update request has stopped so they either declined or accepted the OnStar update

I can still play mp4 videos.

How do I check the Infotainment Software version number?

My dealer just provided both recall updates without any problem. They even gave me a ride back home after dropping off the Bolt, and came to get me to go back to the dealer to pick it up. They also did a complete inspection gratis. Good service.

I received a notice about "The loss of propulsion High Voltage Battery" recall. Scheduled appointment and took the car in yesterday early. After about 90 minutes, they tell me it's ready, so wife and I get in car and drive away. Notice display screen and radio are not working normally. We pop on the interstate, and notice that the Battery Miles remaining on the other screen is dropping by about 5 miles every few hundred feet. A quick mental calculation told me that it would be a 0 miles before I got home. I exited at the first exit and headed back to the dealer. Technician took the car and apparently did the reprogramming again, which took another hour or more. Drove home, and everything seemed normal. Charged it overnight, and today drove it to meet friends in another city. It was about 135 miles RT and had the AC on all the way.

I used the cruise control for the first time today and it is the best of any vehicle I've had. We have learned to drive in the L mode, and the cruise control keeps the speed exactly where it's set, even with rolling terrain.

i've had 3 versions of the infotainment software on my 2017 bolt, and all of them have locked up or have come up with a black screen from power-on from time to time. as of yet i can't see any pattern but the latest (14.5) does not seem any more prone to lockups/black screen than any prior version.

obviously this software is full of bugs... they don't test this thing properly. on 14.5 i noticed the other day that if i had music playing thru carplay/USB but had paused the music, a google maps announcement would cause the computer to switch to the radio after the announcement was over. so there's apparently no way to have silence + google maps navigation.

also the music progress bar locks up all the time.

I’ve had zero lockups with 14.5. I only rarely use CarPlay. It’s been about 5 weeks.

Your problems may be android induced. Of course, if you can replicate them, note exactly how and tell GM by submitting a complaint though Chevrolet.com. That goes right to GM.

Eriamjh1138 said:
I’ve had zero lockups with 14.5. I only rarely use CarPlay. It’s been about 5 weeks.

Your problems may be android induced. Of course, if you can replicate them, note exactly how and tell GM by submitting a complaint though Chevrolet.com. That goes right to GM.

how can an iOS interoperability problem be android induced?

It isn’t. I DONT have any infotainment problems and I use iOS.

YOUR problems are likely caused by the android side of their infotainment system.

Eriamjh1138 said:
YOUR problems are likely caused by the android side of their infotainment system.
I've heard a lot of people complaining about KeyPass screwing things up. I've never installed KeyPass and I've had very few problems with the infotainment system - maybe only one lockup in over 6 months.

Keypass is better with 14.5, but 90% of the time, it doesn’t sense my approach. It does make unlocking faster if you don’t have the fob on you.

I recommend disabling keypass.

Eriamjh1138 said:
It isn’t. I DONT have any infotainment problems and I use iOS.

i suppose you have reading comprehension problems, because i never said i was using android. i am using iOS (carplay is an apple trademark and on android the equivalent is called "projection".)

Sorry. I saw “google maps announcement” and totally missed the fact it said CarPlay in your comment.

This is exactly why I have no intention of taking my Bolt to the dealer to address these recalls.

I haven't had any problems worth mentioning w/my Bolt. Taking any car to a dealer or shop is a major inconvenience to me and I'm a believer in the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If/when my Bolt won't run and requires a repair, I'll have it taken to the dealer to fix that problem and do the recalls but only then. My hope that this will never be necessary w/in the 21 months left on my lease .

Fingers crossed. ;)

sgt1372 said:
I have no intention of taking my Bolt to the dealer to address these recalls.

I haven't had any problems worth mentioning w/my Bolt. Taking any car to a dealer or shop is a major inconvenience to me and I'm a believer in the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If/when my Bolt won't run and requires a repair, I'll have it taken to the dealer to fix that problem and do the recalls but only then. ;)

Amen and Amen

Eriamjh1138 said:
Sorry. I saw “google maps announcement” and totally missed the fact it said CarPlay in your comment.

oh yeah - what i meant is that if google maps is running, and google tries to give an announcement about an upcoming direction, the software seems to handle the switching between carplay and whatever else is playing poorly.

Eriamjh1138 said:
Did you reboot the radio with HOME&NEXT TRACK held for 10 seconds?
Could you elaborate on this trick? More detail? Are those "HOME" the screen button, and "NEXT" the physical button next to the volume knob?

Thanks.

iletric said:
Eriamjh1138 said:
Did you reboot the radio with HOME&NEXT TRACK held for 10 seconds?
Could you elaborate on this trick? More detail? Are those "HOME" the screen button, and "NEXT" the physical button next to the volume knob?
Yep, those are the buttons. If you hold both of them down together for about 10 seconds it will reboot the infotainment system - this will usually sort out any glitches in it and it can be done at any time while the car is on - even when you're driving.

Back