Deals on 2017?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeF74

When does everyone thing clearance deals on 2017 will really kick into gear? There's still lots of 2017s near me. Production of 2019 models is starting in late July (from one news article I saw). This seems earlier than previous years. Also, going back to previous model year articles, deliveries or preorders seem to come in a month later, with general stock availability coming about two months after that.

All of this seems to be about 3 months ahead of the previous model year.

I imagine Chevy really wants to get the 2017s off the lots because having customers see three model years might scare them away (it'll make the car look undesirable).

Right now I'm seeing them advertised on AutoTrader at 15% off MSRP. How low could someone realistically offer as we approach the 2019 release date? 20% for sure. What about 25% or 30%? Is that just crazy?

I'm in the market, and am willing to wait -- but of course I don't want to miss my shot.

MikeF74 said:
Right now I'm seeing them advertised on AutoTrader at 15% off MSRP. How low could someone realistically offer as we approach the 2019 release date? 20% for sure. What about 25% or 30%? Is that just crazy?
Just decide what you're willing to pay, go in and make the offer. The worst they can do is say no, and my experience is that sales people get a lot more motivated when there's someone with a chequebook sitting in front of them. Just remember that if they refuse your offer you need to thank them, get up and walk out to see if it's really too low for them.

SeanNelson said:
Just decide what you're willing to pay, go in and make the offer. The worst they can do is say no, and my experience is that sales people get a lot more motivated when there's someone with a chequebook sitting in front of them. Just remember that if they refuse your offer you need to thank them, get up and walk out to see if it's really too low for them.
Of course, but I don't want to come in so low as to look foolish, and waste both of our time. I'm just looking for a bit of real-world experience and insights from others who may have bough (or sold) a new car that's coming up on being three model years behind. How worried are the dealers (and manufacturer) about being stuck with such vehicles? If someone tells me they got 35% in such a scenario, then that would embolden me to go in and try for 40%, ya know? I'll entertain a counter-offer, but would be prepared to walk if they didn't meet my pre-determined undisclosed price.

MikeF74 said:
SeanNelson said:
Just decide what you're willing to pay, go in and make the offer. The worst they can do is say no, and my experience is that sales people get a lot more motivated when there's someone with a chequebook sitting in front of them.
Of course, but I don't want to come in so low as to look foolish, and waste both of our time.
Who cares how the salesman looks at you? Better to look foolish than like a deer ready for slaughter, IMHO! And it's not a waste of time to gather a data point. And if you leave your contact info you're pretty likely to get additional data points as the salesman contacts you with offers.

MikeF74 said:
When does everyone thing clearance deals on 2017 will really kick into gear? There's still lots of 2017s near me. Production of 2019 models is starting in late July (from one news article I saw). This seems earlier than previous years. Also, going back to previous model year articles, deliveries or preorders seem to come in a month later, with general stock availability coming about two months after that.

All of this seems to be about 3 months ahead of the previous model year.

I imagine Chevy really wants to get the 2017s off the lots because having customers see three model years might scare them away (it'll make the car look undesirable).

I'm in the market, and am willing to wait -- but of course I don't want to miss my shot.

I'm wondering the same here in VT -- watching quite a few 2017s around me and may offer 30k for some of them. Fine if people say no since I think what I really want is the electric Kia Niro when it comes out -- but availability of that is very much up in the air. My '13 Leaf covers most but not all needs in the meantime.

Our nearest 17s actually lack QC and just about any packages and have LT listed at 30k, Premier at 33k. I'm curious how far down in the 20s they'd go -- those cars are headed to the auction if not the crusher... don't think I'd buy one of them though.

Anyway, if you get some data points please do post them here, and happy hunting!

GernBlanston said:
<span>
VT<a class="interlinkr" href="http://www.mynissanleaf.com">LEAF<span class="tip">Visit the LEAF Forum</span></a> said:
Our nearest 17s actually lack QC... -- those cars are headed to the auction if not the crusher... don't think I'd buy one of them though.
</span>
Huh?

It took me a while too, but I think they meant "QC" to mean "Quick Charging". AKA, DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charging). It's optional on both trims.

Back