Air Conditioning

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EL8ctric

It was hot in New York today. I experienced something real strange. I turned On my AC and my miles did not take a dip. I turned off the AC, the miles did not ramp up. I turned the AC back on and the miles remained at 270 miles. Anyone experienced something similar. I know it was a glitch. When I got home I turned off my bolt and put it back on, turn the AC back on, it was still doing the samething. The Ac being turned on did not affect my miles. WTF.

The guess-o-meter looks at recent history to predict range. Don't expect an instant adjustment when you turn on A/C.

No. There is always an instant change in range the moment the heat or AC goes on. It makes some general assumptions. However, the A/C uses about half the power as heat.

Educated guess, IF the AC compressor was required to run to cool the battery pack the range estimates would not change dependent on if it was cooling the passenger compartment or not as well?

When you turned on the AC,did you just simply turn on the fan or did you also turn on the heat/AC button? What temperature was your thermostat set at?

DucRider said:
The guess-o-meter looks at recent history to predict range. Don't expect an instant adjustment when you turn on A/C.

NO on the BOLT ev that is not correct. The display USUALLY instantly changes EXCEPT when it is very hot - I've noticed this also in my ELR that the AC won't go off when it is 90 degrees or hotter.... The thing stays on even though you've thought you've turned it off. Not sure if this also happens in the BOLT ev, but it probably doesn't. Of course the compressor will still run if the battery needs cooling.

Back