Community Question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cost, availability, and various reviews I read online. I liked the appearance best of the ChargePoint EVSE but went with a lower cost option as it would be in the garage anyway...

7+ of years using just L1 on our Leaf. Addition of a Bolt this year and still using L1 for both.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Bought a Schneider online from Home Depot in 2012, still works great.

I bought the first Schneider Electric wallbox in the entire northeast. 2 big problems.

1). wOULDN't work with a tesla roadster until i desensitized the 5 ma ground fault back to 20 ma. like every body else has their wallboxes set to.

2). Even though "UL Recognized", the thing overheated when charging my Roadster at 30 amps for 8 hours. I fixed it by getting rid of their dopey faston lugs and putting in box lugs... Now it runs stone cold.

To answer CP's question - even the expensive wall boxes used to give you less than useless information, so you might as well buy the cheapest thing that works.

Example: the 16 ampere overpriced LeGrande thing that came with the Fisker had 4 status lights that were always on. What was that supposed to prove?

ClipperCreek HCS-40 for me. No bells or whistles made in the USA with great customer service from a reputable company.
I don't need a charger with wireless access or trying to phone home. I have used it previously with my Leaf and now with my Bolt - love it - it just works.

ClipperCreek CS-40 came with the MINI E in 2009. Updated it to J1772 plug with the Honda Fit EV in 2012 and used TED to log charging data. Bought an SPX Power Xpress (now Bosch) for portable use that turned out to be poorly made, heavy, and unreliable to use. Replaced it with an OpenEVSE that I still use for road trip L2 charging (REFUEL).

Started to share the plug with our C-Max Energi when it arrived in 2013. In 2017 SCE rates dictated a move to TOU when I replaced the Fit EV with a Chevy Bolt. Grew tired of swapping the cars in and out of the garage during super off-peak on the ClipperCreek unit, so looked into adding a second EVSE. Panel limitations would have made upgrade exceed $12k, so eventually purchased two Juicebox Pro 40 green EVSEs because they share the 40amp circuit and replace TED for charge tracking. Bolt charges at 15 amps till C-Max is done, than ramps up to 32 amps till Bolt is charged.

keijdosha said:
ClipperCreek CS-40 came with the MINI E in 2009. Updated it to J1772 plug with the Honda Fit EV in 2012 and used TED to log charging data. Bought an SPX Power Xpress (now Bosch) for portable use that turned out to be poorly made, heavy, and unreliable to use. Replaced it with an OpenEVSE that I still use for road trip L2 charging (REFUEL).

Started to share the plug with our C-Max Energi when it arrived in 2013. In 2017 SCE rates dictated a move to TOU when I replaced the Fit EV with a Chevy Bolt. Grew tired of swapping the cars in and out of the garage during super off-peak on the ClipperCreek unit, so looked into adding a second EVSE. Panel limitations would have made jason use crazy bulk upgrade exceed $12k, so eventually purchased two Juicebox Pro 40 green EVSEs because they share the 40amp circuit and replace TED for charge tracking. Bolt charges at 15 amps till C-Max is done, than ramps up to 32 amps till Bolt is charged.

I got one with a remote association, so I can track how much power is utilized each charge.

Back