Sonoma county to Orange County and back on Hwy 99.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leodoggie

Took the Bolt on its first long trip, 960 Miles 4.0 mi/kw. Stopped three times to charge going, made rookie mistake of not going far enough on the first leg with a full charge. Stopped at Atwater, 1 50 kw charger, Delano 2 50 kw chargers, Santa Clarita 2 50 kw chargers. Having learnt my lesson , on the way back stopped at Delano and Atwater then home. Proved to myself that the Bolt is truely a long distance traveler but have to do some planning.
At each charge station we were the only car charging.

leodoggie said:
Took the Bolt on its first long trip, 960 Miles 4.0 mi/kw. Stopped three times to charge going, made rookie mistake of not going far enough on the first leg with a full charge. Stopped at Atwater, 1 50 kw charger, Delano 2 50 kw chargers, Santa Clarita 2 50 kw chargers. Having learnt my lesson , on the way back stopped at Delano and Atwater then home. Proved to myself that the Bolt is truely a long distance traveler but have to do some planning.
At each charge station we were the only car charging.

Thanks for the trip report.

Where did you start? End? How fast did you drive? Why not I-5?

I don't know if EVgo sends you a graphical record of your charge history at each stop, ChargePoint does and it's useful to see how the car responds to SOC. If you've got those, please post them.

How did you do with the seats? That's a long time in a Bolt. ;)

Paul
For my trip reports see my web site, this forum, or companion forums.

When we leased our car on the suggestion of a post on this forum we sat in ten Bolt before we found comfortable seats.
Therefore the seats were not an issue. When I did my trip planning I5 does not have enough fast chargers to enable this trip yet. There are plans in the next year or so to put fast chargers on I5. Hwy 99 has a lot of level 3 chargers and only added about 25 Miles to each leg of the trip.
The relavent info on the return trip is 470 Miles with only two stops at Delano and Atwater of 1:15 and 1:30, with mileage legs of 190, 140 and 140.
We have done this trip many times in an ice car, we would always stop at least two time anyway so it did not seem an inconvenience to charge up. I hope this is helpful for folks who have trepidation in attempting this kind of trip.

I forgot to mention that day time temps in the Central Valley were 100-105 F on our trip so we had the AC on all the time. Also I tried to keep the speed at 70 but because of traffic our speed varied between 65 - 75 mph.

Back