EVgo DC chargers were horrible up until the beginning of 2018. They're still not perfect, but improvement is being made.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gpsman said:
Looks like at some Charge America stations they have a 10 minute or 20 minute grace period before charging you for “idle time”.

At some (not all) ChargePoint stations they will email and / or text you that A) your time limit is up - please move your vehicle within 15 minutes B) your vehicle has completed charging - please move your vehicle within 15 minutes. C) your vehicle is drawing very little power - this means either your vehicle is nearly finished charging, or you have your vehicle set to delay charging. Please check on your vehicle within 15 minutes.

When no one was waiting, I let it go past 15 minutes and you get another email warning (up to 3 times in 45 minutes) but I was never charged any penalty. This is up to the location owner. ChargePoint does not set pricing.

Some ChargePoint stations also let you reserve a charge time and go on a “waitlist”. Whichever you do, you have a 15 minute window to begin charging. If on a waitlist, you can leave, but must begin charging within 15 minutes of the previous person stopping. Again this must be an option ChargePoint provides, but it is up to the idividual owner to implement or not.

Thanks Gpsman!

You're correct, the station owner configures those Waitlist timers, along with other policies regarding Waitlist, including how long drivers can charge on a station and how many times they can defer a spot. Station owners can also monitor the Waitlist which lets them identify the drivers who don’t move when asked or don’t plug in after accepting a Waitlist update.

Additionally, when it’s your turn (waitlist) you’ll get a notification by text message, email, or both (your choice), telling you that a port is available to you. You can respond in one of three ways:

1. Accept and go plug in immediately.

2. Snooze to hold your place in line but let the next person jump ahead of you.

3. Leave Waitlist to be removed from the Waitlist entirely, in case you don’t need to charge.

I hope this helps!

gpsman said:
You guys probably know this, but.....

With the new 45 minute time limit and new price policy of 20 cents per minute (no matter how much power you take) the charging automatically stops at 45 minutes.

BUT THEY KEEP CHARGING YOU 20 CENTS PER MINUTE FOR AS LONG AS THE CORD IS ATTACHED TO YOUR VEHICLE...
Sit and enjoy your dinner with the EVgo app and start another charge at minute 46.

BoltEV said:
gpsman said:
You guys probably know this, but.....

With the new 45 minute time limit and new price policy of 20 cents per minute (no matter how much power you take) the charging automatically stops at 45 minutes.

BUT THEY KEEP CHARGING YOU 20 CENTS PER MINUTE FOR AS LONG AS THE CORD IS ATTACHED TO YOUR VEHICLE...
Sit and enjoy your dinner with the EVgo app and start another charge at minute 46.

This doesn't work at all EVGo stations. There is one in Albany, NY that I use frequently which will not start a new session until you unplug the car and plug it back it.

EvGo in San Luis Obispo (CA) (Marigold Center) allows to restart after 45 minutes by remote with the app.

EvGo at Gilroy (CA) Premium Outlets does not have a 45 minute limit, but one unit was only putting out 50 amps (16 kw) and the other one 100 amps (32 kw).

gpsman said:
EvGo in San Luis Obispo (CA) (Marigold Center) allows to restart after 45 minutes by remote with the app.

EvGo at Gilroy (CA) Premium Outlets does not have a 45 minute limit, but one unit was only putting out 50 amps (16 kw) and the other one 100 amps (32 kw).

Is that their *rated* output, or were they putting out less than they should?

Both are rated at 100 amps / 500 V but the Bolt was only taking ~325 volts. So a 50 kw charger is not always a 50 kw charger. How many volts should the Bolt take at 50% charge?

I routinely get 47 kw out of ChargePoint chargers which would put them close to 150 amps.

It sounds like they listened to my comments about their billing rounding partial minutes up. They no longer do that. See my image.

Edit:
How come all of a sudden I can’t post images?
(From a phone)
I no longer see an “add inline image” option.

gpsman said:
Edit:
How come all of a sudden I can’t post images?
(From a phone)
I no longer see an “add inline image” option.
I've never used that features, I have always used IMGUR to host my pictures and linked to them here. You could try that method - it's pretty easy and it's free.

Recently used an EVgo 50kW charger at Vacaville outlets.

However, the first session got an error and stopped charging after about 14 minutes (notified by app). I restarted it, and it gave another error after about 7 minutes. Then I left because I wanted to go somewhere. Total charge was 15.4 kWh for about $4.20.

Not sure what the error was, though thinking about it later, it could have been the ~100F weather at the time. The Bolt did interrupt L2 charging at home once during very hot weather.

(On the map, the ChargePoint chargers that I could see on the route were only 24kW, which is why I used an EVgo charger.)

The EVGo in Salinas (next to Knob Hill) times out in 30 minutes. You can restart it via the app, but another service charge applies. IMO this should be illegal. Why in the world is there another service fee other than the fact they are getting away with it?

That being said, at least it's reliable. It's always in working order. This can not be said for most L2.5 (22kwh) ChargePoint stations I've run across.

Pismo Beach = working
Paso Robles = usually down
King City = Fault
Salinas = reported down so I didn't stop

Of the four ChargePoint stations between here and Monterey, only 1 was working and it happens to be the one at the beginning of my trip so it's essentially useless for most trips when I can start off full. This time I happened to not be full, so it helped. I like ChargePoint's rate schedule and unlimited connection time, but since it's usually broken it's becoming "GhettoPoint".

Thank God their home chargers work better than their commercial chargers do. I have had ZERO problems with my ChargePoint Home. They should split the commercial chargers off into another name so they don't ruin their reputation.

SmokingRubber said:
The EVGo in Salinas (next to Knob Hill) times out in 30 minutes. You can restart it via the app, but another service charge applies. IMO this should be illegal. Why in the world is there another service fee other than the fact they are getting away with it?

You should upgrade your subscription to the new plan - the one that has a 45- or 60- minute limit, NO connection fee and lower monthly cost. You have to request to make the switch - they won't change your plan behind your back.

Here's an old post (March '18) that describes the change(s) : http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5834&p=29900&hilit=evgo#p29906

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The new Membership plan is only $9.99 / month:

- Monthly fee becomes a CREDIT and covers your first $9.99 of charging every month
- No session fees
- $0.15 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- 45-minute charging sessions initiated between 6:00am and 7:59pm
- 60-minute charging sessions initiated between 8:00pm and 5:59am

We also have a new Pay As You Go rate for less frequent charging:
-Only $0.20 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- No session fees or monthly fee
- 45-minute charging sessions

If you'd prefer to keep your current Flex plan, no action is needed. Further questions? Please check out our FAQ.

* The $0.15/min Membership rate and the $0.20/min Pay As You Go rate is a limited time promotion in California. As of July 1st, Membership rates in California will be between $0.18-0.21/min, and Pay As You Go rates will be between $0.25-$0.35/min, with actual rates depending on region where charger is located

SmokingRubber said:
Of the four ChargePoint stations between here and Monterey, only 1 was working and it happens to be the one at the beginning of my trip so it's essentially useless for most trips when I can start off full. This time I happened to not be full, so it helped. I like ChargePoint's rate schedule and unlimited connection time, but since it's usually broken it's becoming "GhettoPoint".

Thank God their home chargers work better than their commercial chargers do. I have had ZERO problems with my ChargePoint Home. They should split the commercial chargers off into another name so they don't ruin their reputation.

Hi! I'm sorry to hear that this station has been down multiple times when you've tried to use it. I know you're familiar with ChargePoint and using the network, however, I would like to confirm that you've reported it, either via our driver support line, online form, or via the Report button on the ChargePoint app. I'd like to make sure that our team has been informed so that they might try to troubleshoot with that station's owner. Thank you!

The one IN Monterey has been broken since April and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in Salinas has been broken since May and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in King City has had problems since April, and been broken since late June and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

Those 24 kW DCFCs just don't seem to be very reliable, long term - I have experienced a LOT of broken ones (or 'half-broken', only putting out a max of ~11 kW).

SparkE said:
The one IN Monterey has been broken since April and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in Salinas has been broken since May and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in King City has had problems since April, and been broken since late June and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

Those 24 kW DCFCs just don't seem to be very reliable, long term - I have experienced a LOT of broken ones (or 'half-broken', only putting out a max of ~11 kW).

The only one I've been able to use is the ChargePoint 22 kW in Pismo Beach and I suspect it has something to do with the landowner being an EV person and he keeps ChargePoint on their toes or he'll have them yank it out.

As I posted today, the chargers in Paso Robles and King City are so reliably broken we had to change our route to run by EVgo stations--which were working. ;)

Paul

paulgipe said:
...As I posted today, the chargers in Paso Robles and King City are so reliably broken we had to change our route to run by EVgo stations--which were working. ;)

Paul

Had same issue at Paso and King City in June And July, and also reported the problems to ChargePoint. Ended up marooned on L2 in King City. Agree that these sites are reliably broken.

keijidosha said:
paulgipe said:
...As I posted today, the chargers in Paso Robles and King City are so reliably broken we had to change our route to run by EVgo stations--which were working. ;)

Paul

Had same issue at Paso and King City in June And July, and also reported the problems to ChargePoint. Ended up marooned on L2 in King City. Agree that these sites are reliably broken.
The EVgo "haters" who propogated this thread primarily lived up in Northern California and had more options.

Down here in Southern California, EVgo was a primary source for DCFC's long before they changed they membership plans, and were a good alternative even back then too.

They are just better priced now due to competition.

BoltEV said:
The EVgo "haters" who propogated this thread primarily lived up in Northern California and had more options.

Down here in Southern California, EVgo was a primary source for DCFC's long before they changed they membership plans, and were a good alternative even back then too.

However, it was true that the EVgo's old pricing and policies were somewhat obnoxious compared to the current pricing and policies.

boltage said:
BoltEV said:

However, it was true that the EVgo's old pricing and policies were somewhat obnoxious compared to the current pricing and policies.

All depends on whose ox is being gored!

Any EV port in a storm when your battery is running low;

Plus there was less competition available; hence higher prices than now;

Nissan and BMW stepped up to the plate with subsidies; hence their cars were favored with features like the 30 minute timer; and

I immediately subscribed to their monthly plan, which made it much more competitive.

You obviously had alternatives.

There are many of us that knew that the prices Evgo presented represented gouging and actively hammered Evgo to lower prices. Some people set back and accept whatever happens while others do something about it. Prices are better but still could improve. The next ones to watch out for are prices related to Electrify America. A court ordered system that appears will be a profit generator for the offenders. What could go wrong?

Evoforce said:
There are many of us that knew that the prices Evgo presented represented gouging and actively hammered Evgo to lower prices. Some people set back and accept whatever happens while others do something about it. Prices are better but still could improve. The next ones to watch out for are prices related to Electrify America. A court ordered system that appears will be a profit generator for the offenders. What could go wrong?

Eventually, competition. Do I stop at Brand X for $x or Brand Y for $y? Probably depends on if x>y or y>x. And who has the best coffee.

Back