ChargePoint

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 am

gpsman wrote:Looks like at some Charge America stations they have a 10 minute or 20 minute grace period before charging you for “idle time”.

At some (not all) ChargePoint stations they will email and / or text you that A) your time limit is up - please move your vehicle within 15 minutes B) your vehicle has completed charging - please move your vehicle within 15 minutes. C) your vehicle is drawing very little power - this means either your vehicle is nearly finished charging, or you have your vehicle set to delay charging. Please check on your vehicle within 15 minutes.

When no one was waiting, I let it go past 15 minutes and you get another email warning (up to 3 times in 45 minutes) but I was never charged any penalty. This is up to the location owner. ChargePoint does not set pricing.

Some ChargePoint stations also let you reserve a charge time and go on a “waitlist”. Whichever you do, you have a 15 minute window to begin charging. If on a waitlist, you can leave, but must begin charging within 15 minutes of the previous person stopping. Again this must be an option ChargePoint provides, but it is up to the idividual owner to implement or not.

Thanks Gpsman!

You're correct, the station owner configures those Waitlist timers, along with other policies regarding Waitlist, including how long drivers can charge on a station and how many times they can defer a spot. Station owners can also monitor the Waitlist which lets them identify the drivers who don’t move when asked or don’t plug in after accepting a Waitlist update.

Additionally, when it’s your turn (waitlist) you’ll get a notification by text message, email, or both (your choice), telling you that a port is available to you. You can respond in one of three ways:

1. Accept and go plug in immediately.

2. Snooze to hold your place in line but let the next person jump ahead of you.

3. Leave Waitlist to be removed from the Waitlist entirely, in case you don’t need to charge.

I hope this helps!
ChargePoint is the world’s largest and most open electric vehicle (EV) charging network. Join the EV revolution!

BoltEV

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:28 pm

gpsman wrote:You guys probably know this, but.....

With the new 45 minute time limit and new price policy of 20 cents per minute (no matter how much power you take) the charging automatically stops at 45 minutes.

BUT THEY KEEP CHARGING YOU 20 CENTS PER MINUTE FOR AS LONG AS THE CORD IS ATTACHED TO YOUR VEHICLE...

Sit and enjoy your dinner with the EVgo app and start another charge at minute 46.

GetOffYourGas

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am

BoltEV wrote:
gpsman wrote:You guys probably know this, but.....

With the new 45 minute time limit and new price policy of 20 cents per minute (no matter how much power you take) the charging automatically stops at 45 minutes.

BUT THEY KEEP CHARGING YOU 20 CENTS PER MINUTE FOR AS LONG AS THE CORD IS ATTACHED TO YOUR VEHICLE...

Sit and enjoy your dinner with the EVgo app and start another charge at minute 46.

This doesn't work at all EVGo stations. There is one in Albany, NY that I use frequently which will not start a new session until you unplug the car and plug it back it.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Pigwich

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 am

Yeah same thing in Palm Desert, you have to come back from the duck pond and re-plug it. :roll:

gpsman

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 am

EvGo in San Luis Obispo (CA) (Marigold Center) allows to restart after 45 minutes by remote with the app.

EvGo at Gilroy (CA) Premium Outlets does not have a 45 minute limit, but one unit was only putting out 50 amps (16 kw) and the other one 100 amps (32 kw).

SparkE

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 pm

gpsman wrote:EvGo in San Luis Obispo (CA) (Marigold Center) allows to restart after 45 minutes by remote with the app.

EvGo at Gilroy (CA) Premium Outlets does not have a 45 minute limit, but one unit was only putting out 50 amps (16 kw) and the other one 100 amps (32 kw).

Is that their *rated* output, or were they putting out less than they should?

gpsman

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Both are rated at 100 amps / 500 V but the Bolt was only taking ~325 volts. So a 50 kw charger is not always a 50 kw charger. How many volts should the Bolt take at 50% charge?

I routinely get 47 kw out of ChargePoint chargers which would put them close to 150 amps.

It sounds like they listened to my comments about their billing rounding partial minutes up. They no longer do that. See my image.

Edit:
How come all of a sudden I can’t post images?
(From a phone)
I no longer see an “add inline image” option.

GetOffYourGas

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:35 pm

gpsman wrote:Edit:
How come all of a sudden I can’t post images?
(From a phone)
I no longer see an “add inline image” option.

I've never used that features, I have always used IMGUR to host my pictures and linked to them here. You could try that method - it's pretty easy and it's free.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

boltage

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Recently used an EVgo 50kW charger at Vacaville outlets.

However, the first session got an error and stopped charging after about 14 minutes (notified by app). I restarted it, and it gave another error after about 7 minutes. Then I left because I wanted to go somewhere. Total charge was 15.4 kWh for about $4.20.

Not sure what the error was, though thinking about it later, it could have been the ~100F weather at the time. The Bolt did interrupt L2 charging at home once during very hot weather.

(On the map, the ChargePoint chargers that I could see on the route were only 24kW, which is why I used an EVgo charger.)

SmokingRubber

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 pm

The EVGo in Salinas (next to Knob Hill) times out in 30 minutes. You can restart it via the app, but another service charge applies. IMO this should be illegal. Why in the world is there another service fee other than the fact they are getting away with it?

That being said, at least it's reliable. It's always in working order. This can not be said for most L2.5 (22kwh) ChargePoint stations I've run across.

Pismo Beach = working
Paso Robles = usually down
King City = Fault
Salinas = reported down so I didn't stop

Of the four ChargePoint stations between here and Monterey, only 1 was working and it happens to be the one at the beginning of my trip so it's essentially useless for most trips when I can start off full. This time I happened to not be full, so it helped. I like ChargePoint's rate schedule and unlimited connection time, but since it's usually broken it's becoming "GhettoPoint".

Thank God their home chargers work better than their commercial chargers do. I have had ZERO problems with my ChargePoint Home. They should split the commercial chargers off into another name so they don't ruin their reputation.
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier (DD)
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring (Wife's DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (4x4 beachmobile)
2016 Mazda 3 Touring

Return to “Batteries and Charging”