EVgo DC chargers were horrible up until the beginning of 2018. They're still not perfect, but improvement is being made.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
Evoforce said:
There are many of us that knew that the prices Evgo presented represented gouging and actively hammered Evgo to lower prices. Some people set back and accept whatever happens while others do something about it. Prices are better but still could improve. The next ones to watch out for are prices related to Electrify America. A court ordered system that appears will be a profit generator for the offenders. What could go wrong?

Eventually, competition. Do I stop at Brand X for $x or Brand Y for $y? Probably depends on if x>y or y>x. And who has the best coffee.

And, most importantly, where they are. As it stands, EVgo "owns" the N-S route up CA-99 (Bakersfield-to-Modesto/Stockton) because they have almost all the DCFCs on that route. EVgo and ChargePoint (which is basically a network of independently operating chargers) "share" the route up US-101 (although ChargePoint has more DCFCs, they are mostly the crappy 22kW/60A ones that are often broken) and NOBODY provides much service on I-5.

The installation of the CEC approved (and fund-shared) DCFCs up and down the state should change things a bit, as new vendors will be added to existing routes, as well as creating new coverage in "charging deserts", such as I-5. For example, "EV Connect" stations will be added up CA-99, and "Recargo" chargers will be added on US-101, introducing competition. There will finally be a series of DCFCs up I-5 (ChargePoint) and "CalTrans" (the Calif road maintenance department) will be installing stations along all 3 routes.

I just wish they'd get these stations IN and WORKING. They were approved and budgeted TWO YEARS ago!

SparkE said:
WetEV said:
Evoforce said:
There are many of us that knew that the prices Evgo presented represented gouging and actively hammered Evgo to lower prices. Some people set back and accept whatever happens while others do something about it. Prices are better but still could improve. The next ones to watch out for are prices related to Electrify America. A court ordered system that appears will be a profit generator for the offenders. What could go wrong?

Eventually, competition. Do I stop at Brand X for $x or Brand Y for $y? Probably depends on if x>y or y>x. And who has the best coffee.

And, most importantly, where they are. As it stands, EVgo "owns" the N-S route up CA-99 (Bakersfield-to-Modesto/Stockton) because they have almost all the DCFCs on that route. EVgo and ChargePoint (which is basically a network of independently operating chargers) "share" the route up US-101 (although ChargePoint has more DCFCs, they are mostly the crappy 22kW/60A ones that are often broken) and NOBODY provides much service on I-5.

The installation of the CEC approved (and fund-shared) DCFCs up and down the state should change things a bit, as new vendors will be added to existing routes, as well as creating new coverage in "charging deserts", such as I-5. For example, "EV Connect" stations will be added up CA-99, and "Recargo" chargers will be added on US-101, introducing competition. There will finally be a series of DCFCs up I-5 (ChargePoint) and "CalTrans" (the Calif road maintenance department) will be installing stations along all 3 routes.

I just wish they'd get these stations IN and WORKING. They were approved and budgeted TWO YEARS ago!

Agree. I've grown increasingly impatient. The previous contracts were bad enough. These contracts are taking forever and they are needed stations. The east-west routes are a must and there's no sign of them yet though locals say the EvConnect at Inyokern should start construction "soon".

Paul

I suggest you just chill!

Your stress won’t speed up the process.

Like what I did: chilled out for 30 years and now there is a subway that interconnects to a wide ranging rail network including to the beach at Santa Monica or Oceanside that is one mile from my home.

One day I will wake up and there will be DCFC’s all the way up on interstate 5 just like the ones at the Metro Universal City station (well they are L2 but they only chage $1 per hour for the first three hours and the remainder of the charge is free, while I ride the rails!)

We travel between Raleigh and DC occasionally and I wish EVgo would install some chargers around Richmond. The Richmond market has about 10 DCFC, two are Chevy dealers (with about 20kwh capacity) and the rest are Greenlots, of the eight Greenlots, one is working. The others have been broken forever. I have used EVgo in DC and Raleigh and compared to Greenlots they are wonderful.

Hey EVgo Rep -- if you are listening here ...

Any information on when the high power charger at the Lucky's on Mowry in Fremont will be active?

It is still labeled a "prototype" and I think it has been in place almost a year.

No self-identified "EVgo Rep" has ever stuck her/his head in here.

I would suggest asking via plugshare app (leave a comment).

Hi!
We expect all ChargePoint DCFC stations on I-5 to be active by October 2018!
We shared that news in our main thread, however, I am not able to share any further updates at this time. :)

Here's that post here in the forum: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31400#p31400

ChargePoint said:
Hi!
We shared that news in our main thread, however, I am not able to share any further updates at this time. :)

Here's that post here in the forum: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31400#p31400
Can you be specific as to the locations active in October 2018?

I would also appreciate some additional detail. When ChargePoint 'forum user' says "all ChargePoint DCFC stations on I-5", does that mean all the stations in the CEC plan, from Yreka in the North (near the Oregon border) down to Santa Clarita in the south?

If so, there appear to be 16 new ChargePoint stations on I-5 in the CEC plan - all 16 will be active by October 2018?

Where should we 'tune in' for any additional official notices on the status of these stations? (Sorry, I'm sure you've provided the URL in the past, but I can't remember it.)

Thank you!

SparkE said:
No self-identified "EVgo Rep" has ever stuck her/his head in here.
And why should they?

Considering the title of the thread and the clear bias and inaccurate information posted in this thread.

No self-respecting Company wants to “debate” haters.

I guess that I wasn't clear enough : No self-identified "EVgo Rep" has ever stuck her/his head on this forum, in any thread.

(Unlike ChargePoint, which has a rather visible and interactive presence on the forum.)

SparkE said:
I would also appreciate some additional detail. When ChargePoint 'forum user' says "all ChargePoint DCFC stations on I-5", does that mean all the stations in the CEC plan, from Yreka in the North (near the Oregon border) down to Santa Clarita in the south?

If so, there appear to be 16 new ChargePoint stations on I-5 in the CEC plan - all 16 will be active by October 2018?

Where should we 'tune in' for any additional official notices on the status of these stations? (Sorry, I'm sure you've provided the URL in the past, but I can't remember it.)

Thank you!

BoltEV said:
ChargePoint said:
Hi!

Can you be specific as to the locations active in October 2018?

I'll check in with the team to see if they'll be able to provide a location list so I can then loop back and share with you here, however, all ChargePoint stations are easily found on the ChargePoint station map (on our website and the app) when they're active. So that's definitely a great place to check in normally!

We share all our news on our social channels on Facebook and Twitter, and the press page of the website: https://www.chargepoint.com/about/media/ and you'll also find the links to our social channels there (I didn't want to kill you with links :) )

BoltEV said:
the Metro Universal City station (well they are L2 but they only chage $1 per hour for the first three hours and the remainder of the charge is free, while I ride the rails!)

Is that really how it is billed or did you get it backwards?

EVERY charge station I have used (probably nearly 50 of them by now) either charges a constant rate, or the prices go UP after 1, 2, or 3 hours to encourage you to MOVE and not hog that stall all day.

EvGo just sent me a bill (invoice) for charging I did 45 days ago.

I was one click away from submitting a fraudulent charge report to my bank because I knew I hadn’t used any in recent memory.

I sure like how ChargePoint bills you (and collects) right away.

gpsman said:
EvGo just sent me a bill (invoice) for charging I did 45 days ago.

I was one click away from submitting a fraudulent charge report to my bank because I knew I hadn’t used any in recent memory.

I sure like how ChargePoint bills you (and collects) right away.
EVgo billing is better than it was, but still cryptic. I have had a varying balance inexplicably carry forward for months now. While I don't understand it, it's not inaccurate. Their charge sites are reliable and where I need them, so billing is good enough by me. Agree ChargPoint billing is more logical.

gpsman said:
BoltEV said:
the Metro Universal City station (well they are L2 but they only chage $1 per hour for the first three hours and the remainder of the charge is free, while I ride the rails!)

Is that really how it is billed or did you get it backwards?

EVERY charge station I have used (probably nearly 50 of them by now) either charges a constant rate, or the prices go UP after 1, 2, or 3 hours to encourage you to MOVE and not hog that stall all day.
That is an accurate comment as of the last time I used these EV Connect chargers, last time I was there.

When I can, I will go over there, plug in and jump on the train for a few hours.

I have to say, since I started this thread, the EvGo fast chargers are certainly better than they were. Were they as reasonable as they are now, I probably wouldn't have made such a stink. Here's hoping they keep moving in the right direction.

I, too, was not a fan of EVgo's previous rate structure, although I personally found their hardware always operable. With EVgo's dramatic rate structure revision and increased charging time I'm now quite happy with them.

Pigwich, you can go back to your very first post and edit the Subject, and that will change the title of this thread. May I suggest something like "EVgo Discussions" or "EVgo Transformation From Bad to Good"?

JoeS said:
Pigwich, you can go back to your very first post and edit the Subject, and that will change the title of this thread. May I suggest something like "EVgo Discussions" or "EVgo Transformation From Bad to Good"?
Or “EVgo Haters UNITE! Throw off your chains!”

Back