speed limiter

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BoltEV said:
Evoforce said:
BoltEV said:
Anyone who hacks the max speed limit and then is involved in a serious accident will be subject to punitive damages which will not be covered by their auto insurance.
Speculation...
The only thing speculative is whether or not you are hacking your Bolt and driving with excessive and dangerous speeds.

What is clearly not speculative is that your post encourages others to do exactly that!

Your post is now part of your permanent record!

:lol: Kinda like your grades from high school and college! Golly, we can surmise that you (more than likely) do not work for a living on building, repairing or modifying things in your physical world. You appear to be overly risk-averse. Lots of things in this life don't just color within the lines. Probably the most dangerous thing that most of us do daily is to be on the road in the first place. ;) People have been modifying vehicles since their invention. Humans learn how to innovate through pushing boundaries and experimentation. Hmmm... Wright Brothers come to mind! Anyway, plenty of us have experimented with creating our own EV's. Those two activities alone might be too risk-averse for some! P.S. I'm a pilot too and we may as well add that on also... Good luck with the scaring people straight!!!

BoltEV said:
Evoforce said:
BoltEV said:
Anyone who hacks the max speed limit and then is involved in a serious accident will be subject to punitive damages which will not be covered by their auto insurance.
Speculation...
The only thing speculative is whether or not you are hacking your Bolt and driving with excessive and dangerous speeds.

What is clearly not speculative is that your post encourages others to do exactly that!

Gosh, evoforce, maybe you have been put on "double secret probation" !!

But with posts like his/her previous two, my guess is he thinks he is a lawyer.

BarfOMatic said:
BoltEV said:
Evoforce said:
Speculation...

Gosh, evoforce, maybe you have been put on "double secret probation" !!

But with posts like his/her previous two, my guess is he thinks he is a lawyer.

:shock: :) :lol: Aspiring maybe?

I understand now: you rwo only tolerate your point of view and feel compelled to be the speech police!

I dislike many points if view, but I don’t browbeat the speakers for making their point.

I made my point, and so long as I am not persoally attacked again, I am done with making my point.

BoltEV said:
I understand now: you rwo only tolerate your point of view and feel compelled to be the speech police!

I dislike many points if view, but I don’t browbeat the speakers for making their point.

I made my point, and so long as I am not persoally attacked again, I am done with making my point.

Please do not take offence. Just being light-hearted and trying to offer up some perspective. ;)

Legal liability might be the least of your worries. Speed limiter is acting as a rev limiter for the motor. As others have mentioned, motor drives the wheels thru a single speed transaxle. At 93 mph, the motor's rotor is turning 8,905 rpm (815 rpm * 1.55 * 7.05 = 8905 rpm). And motor efficiency is falling off above ~6000 rpm which translates into more heat, less torque as speed increases. In an ICE, rev limiter is protecting your valve train. The question is what is the Temp and RPM limits of the motor’s rotor?

keijidosha said:
Legal liability might be the least of your worries. Speed limiter is acting as a rev limiter for the motor. As others have mentioned, motor drives the wheels thru a single speed transaxle. At 93 mph, the motor's rotor is turning 8,905 rpm (815 rpm * 1.55 * 7.05 = 8905 rpm). And motor efficiency is falling off above ~6000 rpm which translates into more heat, less torque as speed increases. In an ICE, rev limiter is protecting your valve train. The question is what is the Temp and RPM limits of the motor’s rotor?

Yep, and there may be some that are going to test that. Quite possibly to their own consternation. Or, if the result is that they blow it up, they devise a 2 speed or some other work-around.

Evoforce said:
BoltEV said:

Please do not take offence. Just being light-hearted and trying to offer up some perspective. ;)
I will take your statement then, in the light that you claim you made it!

Be sure to let me know when you are piloting your DIY modified airplane, so that I will be sure to not be standing under its flight path! :lol:

Do you also provide code for DIY 3D-printer plastic guns; because I am "overly" too "risk averse" to do likewise? :D

BoltEV said:
Evoforce said:
BoltEV said:

I will take your statement then, in the light that you claim you made it!

Be sure to let me know when you are piloting your DIY modified airplane, so that I will be sure to not be standing under its flight path! :lol:

Do you also provide code for DIY 3D-printer plastic guns; because I am "overly" too "risk averse" to do likewise? :D

You may already have been under my flight path. You might be surprised how many DIY aircraft that their are. I was hoping to download some of those firearm plans but is is back in litigation. Picking the correct plastic for the job is everything! Some plastic is touted as being stronger than steel. Anyway, you did get married, and you also drive on the streets. :lol: So, I did't mean that you are completely risk-averse! ;)

Evoforce said:
Anyway, you did get married, and you also drive on the streets. :lol: So, I did't mean that you are completely risk-averse! ;)
I made a career out of assessing risk for my clients and then they used their entrepreneurial skills to determine the level of risk appropriate to their financial investment.

That career was lucrative enough to allow me to lease a new PHEV (Chevy Volt) and then the Bolt EV for no good reason other than I am a geek who wants a new toy every 3 years!

My ICE has been sitting in a driveway with a trickle charger plugged in to its 12 volt battery for years now.

What do you do for a living?

I have a related question as a current Leaf driver (lease) and considering a number of EVs or PHEVs. I would LOVE a programmable speed limiter (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limiter, scroll down to Programmable). That way when I drive many very curvy roads where I live where the speed limit is actually right on (for a Leaf's cornering ability or even a sports car because of limited visibility due to hills and trees with almost no shoulder), I could quickly set a limit to 35, 40, or 45 as the case may be, and let my foot off the pedal for strong regenerative braking but otherwise never have to look at the speedometer to make sure I'm not speeding.

Why is the only available on European cars but not the Bolt, Volt, Leaf, etc.? (Note: these limits are always defeatable simply by flooring it)

Actually, this sounds like the opposite of cruise control. With CC, you set a minimum speed and then can go faster (e.g. to pass) by pressing the accelerator. From the link, it sounds like the intent here is to set an upper bound on your speed.

That said, I think CC + 'L' gear will work for the OP's situation. With 'L' in the Bolt, there is enough regen to keep you from gaining speed down all but the steepest descents.

Its a common feature in Europe.

They have a lot of speed cameras and traps that americans just dont see coming. When I'm driving in Europe I have Waze on to inform mw what the local speed limit might be, and I use the speed limiter to ensure I don't go more that a few km/h faster than that.

This way I can just hold down the accelerator and make my best time without worrying about getting a ticket.

I will note that the cars usually have a WOT sensor (wide open throttle). If you floor it, the car will pop out of speed limited mode and accelerate past it in an emergency.

Its a handy feature - wish we had it.

Its just a matter of time before cars have the option of setting dynamic speed limits based on local speed limits, weather conditions, etc.
i'd want that on my kids first car. Being able to set the car to not go more than 10% or 8mph over the speed limit, however it works, would be a nice feature. For teens, I'd want it to send an sms and a link to dashcam footage starting 5 seconds before the system is overridden, like with the WOT switch above.

Tom

Back