Problems, Bugs, Weird Stuff, Glitches, Concerns Here

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SmokingRubber said:
INTERMITTENT WIPER controls are backward. The knob lists the values as short to longer and longer bars ... essentially indicating the interval between wipes would be longer.
---
-----
--------
-----------

The short bar tells me the interval would be short... right? NOPE! In the Bolt, the short bar produces the longest interval?!?!?!?!? WTH? Is yours like this or did someone install my $^#@ backward?
Like the other guy said.

But I think "Frequency" when I turn it. Lower Frequency = shorter bar means less wipes.

It's not "delay". And yeah... it's backwards.

With car “on”:

I just noticed when I plug into a Level 3 (DCFC) the parking brake automatically sets.

When I plug into a standard Level 2 charger, no parking brake set.

gpsman said:
With car “on”:

I just noticed when I plug into a Level 3 (DCFC) the parking brake automatically sets.

When I plug into a standard Level 2 charger, no parking brake set.

I'm not sure this is a problem. My car does this, I always assumed it was a safety feature. Although I often grumble about it because I forget to turn it off before trying to leave.

No problem. Probably in the owners manual.

At least the brake releases when you press the velocitator. It’s the bucking I don’t like. That’s when happens with front wheel drive and rear parking brakes.

Eriamjh1138 said:
It’s the bucking I don’t like. That’s when happens with front wheel drive and rear parking brakes.
It's good redundant design to have the two immobilization devices (parking brakes and the "park" pawl in the drivetrain) act on different wheels.

Today I went to three different Level 2 chargers.
Each time my car would not charge.
Each time the ChargePoint EVSE said “waiting on vehicle”.
Two out of three times my vehicle display at the SPEEDO said “charge plug not completely inserted”.
One time I got nothing in the car.

I did EXTENSIVE remove & reinserts.
I did EXTENSIVE visual inspections.
I used my mouth to blow out each connector.
I did EXTENSIVE push/pull wiggle/jiggle on the connectors. C’mon. I’ve done this 300 times. I KNOW what I’m doing. I was convinced I’d be going to a dealer for warranty repair this week.

Then I drove 15 miles and tried a Level 3.
It worked fine on the first try. I did a Level 3 charge from 30% to 70%.

Then I drove across the same parking lot and tried a Level 2. It worked normally on the first try.

What’s up with all that?????

Not sure if this was a hardware or software glitch.
But it was unnerving.

gpsman said:
Today I went to three different Level 2 chargers.
Each time my car would not charge.
:
:
:
But it was unnerving.
Wow, I can't imagine just how worrisome that must have been!

I think I recall someone saying that having a can of compressed air was a good idea to blow out any debris or moisture in the connector (you have to be careful not to blow out the propellant). I haven't done this, but maybe it's a good idea...?

gpsman said:
Then I drove 15 miles and tried a Level 3.
It worked fine on the first try. I did a Level 3 charge from 30% to 70%.

Then I drove across the same parking lot and tried a Level 2. It worked normally on the first try.

What’s up with all that?????

But it was unnerving.

You were very wise to try a level 3 charger.

I had a similar experience with my 2015 KIA Soul EV and it turned out to be a charging module failure.
That module converts AC to DC and has a control function for Level 1 & 2 charging

My understanding is that it only has a control function for Level 3 DCFC which by definition simply feeds DC from the charging station directly to the traction battery.
In my case Level 1&2 were inoperative but Level 3 DCFC worked fine.

Your problem may just be a temporary software glitch. I haven't heard of a Bolt charging module failure.
If you do end up at a dealer It may be a good idea to have them check it out.

AJ

When you sit in Park with the car “on” (like at a charge station but you want to use heat) the car shuts off automatically after 2 hours. But the USB port stayed active and continued to charge my phone. I was on a DCFC and because of low temperatures it took longer than 2 hours to put in 75%.

I reported this before but hoped one of the updates fixed this. It didn’t: Hilltop reserve does not work when you are on a DCFC.

I cannot imagine sitting in the car at a QC for over two hours. I'm not surprised that Chevy didn't plan for this use case.

Was there really nothing nearby to do while you waited? I think that's the bigger problem. QCs need to be placed where you can do something while your car charges.

I was doing work (and some play) on my cell phone. The time went by pretty fast actually. Then “clunk” and eveything goes dark except for the cell phone attached to USB kept charging. I know the radio and probably the USB stays on for 10 minutes after YOU turn the car off.... until you open the door, but this was different. The radio went off. I didn’t wait 10 minutes to see if the USB would “time out”.

New “feature”?

I can turn on the radio in my Bolt without pressing the Start button. At all. (Key Fob was in my pocket.)

Previously known:
To roll down windows or use climate control, you can press and hold the start button for 5 seconds WITHOUT FOOT ON BRAKE PEDAL. This will NOT start the car (allow car to shift and move) so a passenger or child in the car can do this.

gpsman said:
New “feature”?
Previously known:
To roll down windows or use climate control, you can press and hold the start button for 5 seconds WITHOUT FOOT ON BRAKE PEDAL. This will NOT start the car (allow car to shift and move) so a passenger or child in the car can do this.
That's a nice feature. Thanks for posting

My Bolt's problems so far (early 2017 base model with 60k miles):

-The turn signal indicator sometimes takes a few moments to begin producing a sound, despite the dash arrow flashing. I have no idea if the turn signal itself is actually working during this time, which is worrisome.
-The steering wheel paddles for changing preset radio stations are beginning to malfunction. Repeating stations or going backwards in order
-Occasional loud grinding noise when stopping to park (My driveway is on a slight incline)
-The emergency brake sometimes decides to engage on its own, but randomly, when I park.
-The charging door sensor came loose from the back of the charging port (fixed, see my thread about removing the sensor)
-Display screen going black and/or freezing up (fixed by software update)
-Rear bumper plastic separating or warping away from lower left tail light, leaving a gap

Other than that, there are no complaints that come to mind.

Thrifty said:
-Occasional loud grinding noise when stopping to park (My driveway is on a slight incline)
-The emergency brake sometimes decides to engage on its own, but randomly, when I park.

I suspect these are the same thing. Whenever I've noticed a loud grinding noise, it's because the car decided to engage the parking brake on its own.

Hi. First post.
I am responding to the loud grinding noise post because the same thing randomly happens to me probably 1 out of every 15 times I unlock the doors or occasionally when I push the power button. It's a loud grinding whirring noise from under the car near the rear wheels. When I called my dealership they suggested "...it could be the fuel pump. Oh, wait."

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there? Thanks

Back