tomofNV

Re: Did your dealership try to sell an extended warranty?

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:51 pm

They pushed it pretty hard, "all those electronics" (yeah, and they are designed to be very reliable in cars). Hell, I converted a car to electric 9 years ago and still drive it regularly with no problems. I expect the manufacturers can do better, and GM has a good record with the Volt. The finance lady tried a lot of angles and reduced the price 4 times. After my 4th "no thanks" she gave up and acted pretty miffed. I figured if they try to sell it that hard it must be a pretty good deal for them, not me. Plus you have the GM warranty and insurance coverage. The cost of the warranty was much more than my personal insurance cost and insured much less.

Fr0stByte

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:57 pm

I knew I didn't want it. I knew they were going to push it. So I used it to my advantage.

I got the finance guy to add it to the loan and made him take over a 1% off my interest rate.

Cancelling the contract next week within my 60 days and getting a full refund.

They play games, so can I. :)

GetOffYourGas

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Nicely done!
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

rwill

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Fr0stByte wrote:I knew I didn't want it. I knew they were going to push it. So I used it to my advantage.

I got the finance guy to add it to the loan and made him take over a 1% off my interest rate.

Cancelling the contract next week within my 60 days and getting a full refund.

They play games, so can I. :)

He still gets the bonus for selling it to you so everyone wins.

It's a good trick when you're renting a car. Negotiate with the sales rep that you will take all the insurance coverage. Have him lower the daily rate. Then go to another nearby rental car location (has to be in person) and have them take all the insurance coverage off.

Has saved me a lot of $$ on rentals. Usually only worth the work if you're renting for a week or more.

SparkE

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:33 pm

The other trick is to never, ever rent (or pick up) at the airport. First, the airport agencies pay the company for the privilege of being an exclusive provider at the airport so they can charge what they want, and often (usually) municipalities tack on extra taxes for airport rentals.

I got in the habit of reserving a car at the closest enterprise rental location (off-airport), then hopping into a hotel curtesy shuttle (the first shuttle to any off-airport hotel) and calling enterprise from the shuttle to pick me up at the hotel. I would generally save about 50% (renting off-airport was half as expensive). Again, only worth the trouble if you are renting for a week or more.

1953drtelco

Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:56 am

Purchased my 2019 Bolt at Riverside Chevrolet (Riverside,CA) Purchased with the Costco Auto Buying incentive program. Very easy purchase, and even though the extended warranty was mentioned once and not again. I did purchase it for a few extra bucks a month, but I've had to use the extended warranty on a few vehicles. My 2015 radiator on my Silverado developed a small leak after the standard warranty. Radiator replacement would have been over $1200.......warranty repair $100.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”