Driving in 'L' mode

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roperld said:
0-30-mph time is important for city-town driving. I have read that the CBEV 0-30-mph time is 2.9 seconds. I assume that is for D mode. What is the 0-30-mph time for:
*L mode?
*D/Sport mode?
*L/Sport mode?
L and Sport modes just remap the power response curve for the accelerator pedal. I wouldn't expect to see any difference in acceleration times for the various modes assuming that you floored the pedal every time. In all cases a floored pedal would map to the maximum power being delivered to the engine.

ChevyCustomerCare said:
drgnfish said:
Is there a way to have the break light turn on while driving in 'L' mode. I believe that current when you let go of the gas the break light current do not turn on. Its a safety issue when you're driving in 'L' mode and you let go of the 'gas' peddle the break light should turn on to alert other behind you.

Hi drgnfish,

So sorry for the delay in getting this information for you. Your Bolt EV is designed to turn on the brake lights when regeneration torque is sufficient enough to create decelerating greater than approximately 0.10g. This can occur while using the regen paddle, driving in "L" Mode or both.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have additional questions/concerns.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Amber / Chevrolet Customer Care: please check your inbox for a PM from me. Thanks !

It is now one week since I submitted a PM to Chevrolet Customer Care (CCC). Requesting clarification of CCC’s response of March 2017 to drgnfish, in particular CCC’s : “Your Bolt EV is designed to turn on the brake lights when regeneration torque is sufficient enough to create decelerating greater than approximately 0.10g”.

No acknowledgement or response has been received from CCC.

Now here are my questions:
1.) Is an “accelerometer” type of measure (g’s) actually used as the trigger for Bolt’s brake lights activation when slowing via RoD paddle and/ or L mode ?
- the words “regeneration torque” may imply a difference source of input is used ?
2.) If in fact the accelerometer is the prime determinant... 0.1g seems like quite a low value. Per below video minute 3:46 my (crude) measurement suggests brake lights activate around -0.2g :
https://www.youtube.com/watch v=gzVOolqKJhA

Looking forward to a post(s) from anyone who can answer the above questions.

Cehjun said:
It is now one week since I submitted a PM to Chevrolet Customer Care (CCC). Requesting clarification of CCC’s response of March 2017 to drgnfish, in particular CCC’s : “Your Bolt EV is designed to turn on the brake lights when regeneration torque is sufficient enough to create decelerating greater than approximately 0.10g”.

No acknowledgement or response has been received from CCC.

Now here are my questions:
1.) Is an “accelerometer” type of measure (g’s) actually used as the trigger for Bolt’s brake lights activation when slowing via RoD paddle and/ or L mode ?
- the words “regeneration torque” may imply a difference source of input is used ?
2.) If in fact the accelerometer is the prime determinant... 0.1g seems like quite a low value. Per below video minute 3:46 my (crude) measurement suggests brake lights activate around -0.2g :
https://www.youtube.com/watch v=gzVOolqKJhA

Looking forward to a post(s) from anyone who can answer the above questions.

It appears that ChevyCustomerCare last logged in on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:24 pm.

Perhaps she/he saw the questions and decided not to log in ? :lol:

Additional questions for ChevyCustomerCare:

On the other forum it has been suggested that Bolt’s brake light activation follows the UN regulation 13-H*, specifically subparagraphs 5.2.22 through 5.2.22.4 :

*Addendum 12-H: UN Regulation No. 13-H Revision 4

“5.2.22. Generation of a braking signal to illuminate stop lamps.
5.2.22.1. Activation of the service braking system by the driver shall generate a signal that will be used to illuminate the stop lamps.
5.2.22.2. Activation of the service braking system by "automatically commanded braking" shall generate the signal mentioned above. However, when the retardation generated is less than 0.7 m/s2, the signal may be suppressed.
5.2.22.3. Activation of part of the service braking system by "selective braking" shall not generate the signal mentioned above.
5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17., which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:
Vehicle decelerations Signal generation
≤ 0.7 m/s² The signal shall not be generated
> 0.7 m/s² and ≤ 1.3 m/s² The signal may be generated
> 1.3 m/s² The signal shall be generated
In all cases the signal shall be de-activated at the latest when the deceleration has fallen below 0.7 m/s²”

Questions

1. Is it true that Bolt’s stop lamp activation was designed around the above UN 13-H subparagraphs ?
2. If true:
a.) Was the appropriate FMVSS also considered for Bolt sales in North America ?
b.) If 13-H is indeed being followed, why in my tests does my Bolt not meet threshold deceleration for signal activation - - my observation being 1.9 – 2.0 meters per second ? (see reference to video in my earlier post).

Back