How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snowang said:
I pulled the trigger.

MSRP: $44310 (Kinetic blue, driver II, info, and $405 worth of extra options)
Dealer discount $4000
Selling price: $40310
Dealer applied $5850 total rebates, including $4350 from the leasing company in place of federal tax rebate
Adjusted capitalized cost: $38,570
36 month 12k miles/year
Rolled $500 XC protection plan into the lease
0 down
Total of 36 payments of $395.69

After the $3k MD tax rebate and $700 costco cash, I should come out about $293/mo.

The color is so pretty!!!

I sent you a private message but can you tell me which dealership you went to please.

Picked up my 2018 Bolt Premier today in Dallas. White with dark gray interior. MSRP 44045, paid 39K+TTL. I think I got a good deal given that Dallas area dealers do not have a lot of Bolts on the lot. Something like 15 in all Dallas.

Bought in New Jersey

2017 LT Cajun Red Tintcoat

Driver Confidence and Comfort and Convenience Packages (No DC Fast)

MSRP: $38,900

I worked with three dealerships that still have 2017s. There is no major upgrades on the 2018 or 2019 coming out, so I figured my best bet on price was the 2017. I was able to negotiate my way down to $30,000. I got pretty much everyone down to 33,000ish, then I went to walk out and they asked me for a crazy number to stop me from looking and sign. I said 30,000 and after another 30 min or so, they caved and I drove it off the lot.

No worries about lacking DC, this is a commuter and "in-state" car. Wife drives an ICE car and we will take that for any long distance trips. VERY happy with the purchase. After my Prius trade in and the federal tax credit, that drops the effective price of the car to $16,500 haha. That is an awesome feeling knowing I got a $39,000 car for more than half off.

April 23, 2018 I sprang for it. Happy B(earth) day to me. :) I drive a lot - safety, comfort, convenience are important.

2018 Bolt EV Premier in Mosaic Black from Capitol Chevrolet in San Jose, CA.

- DC Fast Charging
- Driver Confidence II Package
- Infotainment Package
- Interior Protection Package

$43775 MSRP

$39975 Dealer negotiated price
+ $3404.68 CA Sales Tax
+ $895.00 Gap insurance because I’m in SF.
+ $2495.00 8 year / 125,000 mile platinum service contract because I don’t do suspension, steering, or enjoy labor costs for someone else to do it - and also the ~2x labor cost in SF.
+ $629.00 Doc and DMV Fees.

$47,398.68 financed for 5 years / $0 Down

- $7500 Federal Tax Credit
- $2500 California Rebate
- $500 Pacific Gas and Electric Rebate
- $3800 Just sold my Honda.

$33098.00

I drive a lot for work and so I’ll consistently get it back in mileage expense reimbursement.

I’ve always been one who prefers to offset future issues when buying cars, as I like to consider what could go wrong outside of my control.

I need a car for work; and who knows what life will bring. In a purchase, I can sell it without concern for mileage, wear and tear, etc. I expect this car to last me at least 8 Years, my loan is for 5.

Protecting my livelihood is way more important than anything else... one can’t honestly save money he doesn’t earn. ;-)

Not mentioned is the $50 in personalized 60s California Vintage Plates (Black on Black) If you see “ISNOICE” on the 101, ‘tis me.

Bolt premier -

Destination Charge $875.00
Kinetic Blue Metallic $395.00
Infotainment Package $485.00
Driver Confidence II Package $495.00
DC fast charging $750.00

Total Options $2,125.00
MSRP* $43,905.00

+ Paint Protection - $1395 (Apparently all cars with this dealer had the paint protection already installed being at seaside)

Out of the door cost paid - $41,744

Selling price - $36,136 ( after all incentives/discounts)
+ Paint protection - $1395
+ Doc - $80
+ DMV/Fees - $544
+Tax @9.25%

Wow this thread confirms I was raked over the coals for my Bolt.

This is the first car I've ever purchased so I guess it's no surprise there. They used a lot of number play to convince me I was getting a good deal, but my out the door cost was 44k. Car is an electric blue in LT trim, fast charger, comfort package, driving package I, all weather floor mat.

Here's the rundown as best as I can deliver.
$36,600 was the negotiated price. This dealer forces everyone to buy lojack, supposedly
$684 lojack
$2,895.71 CA Sales Tax
$514 Registration
$3,811 Interest

44k out the door.

Love the car.

Cannot recommend the dealer. Nice cherry on top was that they did not know how to operate their own fast charger. So it was plugged into the charger for an hour while I was with the finance guy, but not charging. They just plugged it in and walked away without activating the charger. John L Sullivan in Roseville. They've reached out a few times with procedural calling, I've offered a few small gripes with the car, and been very forthright with my complaints about their sales process. I have received nothing but empty platitudes.

awillcox said:
Wow this thread confirms I was raked over the coals for my Bolt.

This is the first car I've ever purchased so I guess it's no surprise there. They used a lot of number play to convince me I was getting a good deal, but my out the door cost was 44k. Car is an electric blue in LT trim, fast charger, comfort package, driving package I, all weather floor mat.

Here's the rundown as best as I can deliver.
$36,600 was the negotiated price. This dealer forces everyone to buy lojack, supposedly
$684 lojack
$2,895.71 CA Sales Tax
$514 Registration
$3,811 Interest

44k out the door.

Love the car.

Cannot recommend the dealer. Nice cherry on top was that they did not know how to operate their own fast charger. So it was plugged into the charger for an hour while I was with the finance guy, but not charging. They just plugged it in and walked away without activating the charger. John L Sullivan in Roseville. They've reached out a few times with procedural calling, I've offered a few small gripes with the car, and been very forthright with my complaints about their sales process. I have received nothing but empty platitudes.

I am a little confused - did you purchase or lease? (You mentioned "interest", but also said you purchased)

The CA Sales Tax & Registration isn't part of the "purchase price" (even though you have to pay it).

Actually, $36,600 with options : fast charger, comfort package, driving package I, and all weather floor mat isn't all that bad (considering that the price of the vehicle with NO options is $37,500).

I wouldn't have paid for lojack (I would have gone to a different dealer). Then again, how much is your time worth? (time spent going to another dealer and starting the process all over again - for $684)

SparkE said:
Actually, $36,600 with options : fast charger, comfort package, driving package I, and all weather floor mat isn't all that bad (considering that the price of the vehicle with NO options is $37,500).

I admit part of it could be the fact that overall I am not familiar with the process of buying a car. I'm just comparing my price out the door with others. 44k shocked the hell out of me when it became clear that was the price out the door. People here are posting premier trim packages for less than that.

If you *bought* (but financed - i.e., took out a loan to buy) the vehicle, the "interest" isn't included in the "out the door" price.

Above, "bolt2018" listed her/his Out of the door cost as $41,744 with NO INTEREST listed. If you add in your "$3,811 Interest", the total would have been $45,555.

Currently, at Fremont Chevrolet, they are offering about $5000 off MSRP for many 2018 Bolts.

In the future, when you are thinking about buying a new car, you might want to ask for price quotes via email from several dealerships.

But again, you didn't get hosed - you may have paid a bit more than you could have snuck away with, but if you like the car ...

SparkE said:
If you *bought* (but financed - i.e., took out a loan to buy) the vehicle, the "interest" isn't included in the "out the door" price.

Above, "bolt2018" listed her/his Out of the door cost as $41,744 with NO INTEREST listed. If you add in your "$3,811 Interest", the total would have been $45,555.

Currently, at Fremont Chevrolet, they are offering about $5000 off MSRP for many 2018 Bolts.

In the future, when you are thinking about buying a new car, you might want to ask for price quotes via email from several dealerships.

But again, you didn't get hosed - you may have paid a bit more than you could have snuck away with, but if you like the car ...

This is good perspective. Thanks!

Just came home yesterday with our new Bolt. Took a about a weeks worth of calling, emailing, texting between all the dealerships in Cali to get me the best deal.

2019 Bolt Prem
Driver Confidence II
Infotainment
DCFC

MSRP $43,510

Total OTD, including license and registration, $40,100.00

I actually had a better deal at a Novato dealer for $39.610 OTD, but it was for a 2019 Silver ICE, this dealer beat my best offer of a 2018 Prem for the same OTD. I ended up getting it at a dealer closer to me (12miles vs 70+) and I got it in the color I wanted, which was Slate.

I will still get the $2500 state, $7500 fed, and $800 PG&E (will wait until Jan 2019 to file, as they raised it starting then)

Bought ours outright because we were saving for a house that didn't happen. Thought about leasing, but monthly charge was pretty steep and we wanted to collect the US & State incentives. I know EVs depreciate fast and can be hard to sell, but we intend to keep it until the warranty expires unless it gives us trouble. In MA, there are green incentives that can provide both a $2500 rebate and a dealer discount. We were expecting the discount to be up to 6K but dealer said through tears 2K was all they could manage. C'est la vie.
Model Premier
Color Green Mist
Interior Leather, white/grey
Invoiced Charges
Base $40,521.00
Options infotainment &
Driver Assurance II $1,730.00
Delivery Charge $875.00
Dealer Discount ($2,071.00)
Dealer Total $41,055.00
Sales Tax To MA $2,422.00
Title To MA $75.00
Registration To MA $42.50
License Plates MA "EV" $0.00
TOTAL $43,594.50
MA rebate ($2500.00)
Fed tax credit ($7500.00)
FINAL COST $33,594.00

xgashole said:
{...} were expecting the discount to be up to 6K but dealer said through tears 2K was all they could manage.

Yeah, well, many dealers are lying scumbags.

One should always start by seeing what is available (prices, discount) on the internet, find the best deals within 200 miles, print them out, and then take them to the dealer you would prefer to deal with. If they can't match, or get close, walk. (Go buy elsewhere.) It is also a great tactic to avoid all the upsells : "I don't have to put up with this crap if I buy from XYZ - I have a telephone deal waiting for me there. So do you want my money or not? Should I just leave? I have this money I want to spend TODAY, do you not want my money?".

Since I started using techniques like that, my car purchases have gone much more smoothly and quickly. When I helped my daughter buy a car, we picked it out and left for lunch ("what you don't want our money? We'll be back after lunch - if the paperwork is ready we'll buy it, otherwise we'll go to XYZ. See you in an hour."). After lunch, we spent about 30 minutes signing papers and drove the car away.

So ...

First, find the best deal you can via internet/email.
Then, use it to pressure the local dealership.

xgashole said:
Dealer Discount ($2,071.00)
Dealer Total $41,055.00
Sales Tax To MA $2,422.00
Title To MA $75.00
Registration To MA $42.50
License Plates MA "EV" $0.00
TOTAL $43,594.50
MA rebate ($2500.00)
Fed tax credit ($7500.00)
FINAL COST $33,594.00

Did you not research the dealer discounts that Quirk is offering before you bought yours? They've been doing $7500 off as a dealer discount for like the past year and a half. Why would you buy from any other dealer? Especially if you are already in Massachusetts?

I never understand when I talk to fellow Bolt owners and find out they paid full rate when Quirk is giving these things away.

2019 Premier Cajun Red
MSRP +- $43,000
DCFC, DR Conv pkg
$35,000 at Quirk Braintree, MA out the door
taking delivery in 7 hours

Not as good as a deal as in december 2017:

Southern cali
2019 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
-Driver Confidence II
-Infotainment package
-DCFC
-all weather mats
MSRP 44,005

lease:
15k miles/year
$1150 out the door
35 x $444.25 without tax = $476.46 including tax

Moved up from my CA leased Spark EV. Bolt Lt with DFC, etc. listprice: $38,245 - $6,000 (negotiated dealer discount) - $4,500 (CA cash rebate) - $599 (Utility rebate) - $7,500 (fed tax rebate) = $20,145 financed. *Note: Had to shop around, and local dealer matched out of town dealer price only when it saw a screenshot of the $6,000 discount. Wasn't easy, 5 hours in dealership. But December is best time to buy. :D :D

Sac958 said:
Moved up from my CA leased Spark EV. Bolt Lt with DFC, etc. listprice: $38,245 - $6,000 (negotiated dealer discount) - $4,500 (CA cash rebate) - $599 (Utility rebate) - $7,500 (fed tax rebate) = $20,145 financed. *Note: Had to shop around, and local dealer matched out of town dealer price only when it saw a screenshot of the $6,000 discount. Wasn't easy, 5 hours in dealership. But December is best time to buy. :D :D
I really hope you are not counting on the Federal Tax incentive to be a rebate. It is not.
Those that are eligible for the low/moderate income boost to the CA Clean Air Rebate (hence the $4,500) are very unlikely to have enough tax liability to take full advantage of the Federal Tax Credit.

Back