DaraParsavand

Re: speed limiter

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 am

I have a related question as a current Leaf driver (lease) and considering a number of EVs or PHEVs. I would LOVE a programmable speed limiter (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limiter, scroll down to Programmable). That way when I drive many very curvy roads where I live where the speed limit is actually right on (for a Leaf's cornering ability or even a sports car because of limited visibility due to hills and trees with almost no shoulder), I could quickly set a limit to 35, 40, or 45 as the case may be, and let my foot off the pedal for strong regenerative braking but otherwise never have to look at the speedometer to make sure I'm not speeding.

Why is the only available on European cars but not the Bolt, Volt, Leaf, etc.? (Note: these limits are always defeatable simply by flooring it)

SparkE

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 am

It's called "cruise control" in the US.

GetOffYourGas

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 am

Actually, this sounds like the opposite of cruise control. With CC, you set a minimum speed and then can go faster (e.g. to pass) by pressing the accelerator. From the link, it sounds like the intent here is to set an upper bound on your speed.

That said, I think CC + 'L' gear will work for the OP's situation. With 'L' in the Bolt, there is enough regen to keep you from gaining speed down all but the steepest descents.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

Tttait

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Its a common feature in Europe.

They have a lot of speed cameras and traps that americans just dont see coming. When I'm driving in Europe I have Waze on to inform mw what the local speed limit might be, and I use the speed limiter to ensure I don't go more that a few km/h faster than that.

This way I can just hold down the accelerator and make my best time without worrying about getting a ticket.

I will note that the cars usually have a WOT sensor (wide open throttle). If you floor it, the car will pop out of speed limited mode and accelerate past it in an emergency.

Its a handy feature - wish we had it.

Its just a matter of time before cars have the option of setting dynamic speed limits based on local speed limits, weather conditions, etc.
i'd want that on my kids first car. Being able to set the car to not go more than 10% or 8mph over the speed limit, however it works, would be a nice feature. For teens, I'd want it to send an sms and a link to dashcam footage starting 5 seconds before the system is overridden, like with the WOT switch above.

Tom

Return to “Technical Discussions”