Chevy free Basic APP through Onstar no longer free.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojito5606

I had bought a Chevy Volt last year was so happy with its performance and introducing me to the EV world and was so happy with the Idea to never having to go back to a gas station. So last month I decided to buy a Bolt. My experience with the ONSTAR App that allowed me to check on the status of charge is priceless especially on trips that you can check on your charge as you are killing time shopping or in a restaurant. I had expected the same on my new BOLT. When i purchase my volt last year they had given me 3 months of free trail of full service road side , direction, even help locate charging station etc. After three month I decided to go with the basic free plan that is include on new purchase cars thru chevy good for 3 to 5 year not sure. Great so last week I had gone to a restaurant and while seated there I was questioning whether i Had lock the doors or not, so no problem I'll go to MY app as I was so far I felt the Key fob would not have the range, I notice that the APP was not communicating with my Car so I called Onstar they could not communicate with it ether. Next day found out That Onstar has changed there Package policy now the trial period is only 1 month and the basic plan is no longer free. For new cars being purchase Chevy has decided to end there promotion and start charging its funny that I prefer having this basic app on my Bolt rather than My volt. So if you like the convenience of of locking and precondition car and most important to me check on the charge status you have to purchase the basic plan at 14.99 a month. I wonder if any of the other Automakers offer anything like this app to there new car sales and at what cost , KIa , Hyundai, Tesla, ect Id be interest to know.

I am in the same situation as you free basic only and I just checked mine and it still works. Did you give them a credit card for auto payment because I did not.

I bought one on Sunday and got this today:

Welcome, Jonathan!
Your Chevrolet Connected Services trial and OnStar® Safety & Security coverage have begun, which means you’re connected and protected. You now have access to our full suite of services until 11/06/2018. You also get 5 years of Remote Key Fob access in your myChevrolet app. Get started by learning more about some of your trial services below.

It looks like the basic is still free, but that does not include charging status.

I talked to someone in Chevy headquarters and they informed me that as of March the basic plan went to a pay plan because of the high demand. They also said that dealer are miss informing the public by saying that it was. So let me know after Nov what happens hopefully you will get the basic free. Thanks for your info.

I bought my Bolt last year on 3/29/2017, and checking today via the https://my.chevrolet.com/onstar/myservices website, it says:
"Active - No additional charge - Basic Plan - Active through: March 28, 2022"
So this has changed? A quick web search revealed that te 5 year plan is still free, and they also added a 10 year connect service.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/general-motors-technology/onstar/onstar-plans-pricing/onstar-basic-plan-info-price/
OnStar Basic Plan Info & Price
The OnStar Basic plan is the most basic plan offered by GM telematics subsidiary, OnStar.

Original Basic Plan
Introduced in 2014 for 2015 model year vehicles, the original OnStar Basic plan enables a connection between GM-OnStar and the vehicle for five years. The service is free for five years and includes the following services:
Keyfob services that enable owners to remotely start, lock/unlock doors, as well as activate the horn and lights from the myChevrolet, myBuick, myGMC or myCadillac or OnStar RemoteLink app
OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics
Dealer Maintenance Notification
Connected Access

In 2018, General Motors, its vehicle brands and OnStar rebranded the OnStar Basic Plan to [insert GM brand] Connected Access, as such:
Chevrolet Connected Access
Cadillac Connected Access
GMC Connected Access
Buick Connected Access
The change in name is accompanied by a two-fold increase in the lifespan of the service (from five years to ten). Included services consist of:
Keyfob services that enable owners to remotely start, lock/unlock doors, as well as activate the horn and lights from the myChevrolet, myBuick, myGMC or myCadillac or OnStar RemoteLink app
Vehicle Diagnostics
Dealer Maintenance Notification
Smart Driver
Marketplace (App Shop)
Though the lifespan of the service has doubled, the service is no longer transferable between owners. Instead, the connectivity is available only to the original purchaser for ten years from the date of initial vehicle purchase for model year 2018 or newer GM vehicles starting on May 1, 2018. Subsequent owners receive five years of the service from the time of their purchase.

There is a table that shows:
Connected Access is free for 10 years
Basic is Free for 5 years

I leased my Bolt in October 2017. I'm still getting the free Basic plan, including charging status, tire pressure and the key fob (although that last one has never worked for me). I just checked it this morning, in fact. I wonder if I've been "Grandfathered" in?

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing/compare-plans/ compares the various OnStar plans.

It looks like the only OnStar services that do not require a paid OnStar plan are the following:

Vehicle Diagnostics*
Marketplace*
Smart Driver*
Dealer Maintenance Notification*
In-Vehicle App Access*

Remote Key Fob* is not included with vehicle purchase; it requires the $34.99/month or higher OnStar plan.

Back