Two questions?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiaoyu80305

I have 2017 Bolt, and have two questions:

1. The choices of the home charging current has only 8A, or 12A. Can I charge higher than 12A?
2. I would like to drive on L all the time. Why the car couldn't memorized the last setting, so the driver needs only toggle the shift once?

Xiaoyu,

1) Yes. If you charge @ 240V the Bolt will draw up to 32A if your EVSE will supply it (the 8/12 setting only applies to L1/120V charging).
2) It was a design decision and not unique as many EV's will go to a default drive mode and require a change to "Sport", "Eco", "L", etc.

DucRider said:
1) Yes. If you charge @ 240V the Bolt will draw up to 32A if your EVSE will supply it (the 8/12 setting only applies to L1/120V charging).
...and: the EVSE (charging cord) that comes with the Bolt can also charge at 240V / 12A, which doubles your charge rate over 120V / 12A. The cord has a plug that will only fit into a 120V socket, but you can change the plug or buy/make an adapter that lets it plug into a 240V socket and it will work just fine.

Thanks very much for that tip, SeanNelson. Does the owner's manual advise that you can connect Chevy's charger to 240V outlets with an adapter? If not, how did you learn this?

xgashole said:
Thanks very much for that tip, SeanNelson. Does the owner's manual advise that you can connect Chevy's charger to 240V outlets with an adapter? If not, how did you learn this?
Nope, not in the manual. I learned it from this thread - it discusses the EVSE that comes with the Volt, which is the same EVSE that comes with the Bolt.

Back