Wireless Charging

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCTurner

I have posted this twice before on this part of the forum but somehow is seems to end up on the technical section of this forum and that isn't where I want it to be.

My original inquiry to Chevrolet was:

"When I got my Bolt I was told by On Star that I needed a new high performance phone if I wanted to use the apps. I bought a new Samsung S9 at their recommendation (I refuse to own an IPhone) There is still a problem getting the phone to sync up with the car. On Star is still working on that issue. However, the real problem surfaced when I tried to charge the new phone wirelessly. It doesn't work. When I went to the dealer, I was told that the wireless charger was not compatable with this phone. It would cost about $100 in parts plus installation. I find this extremely irratating and would suggest that this is a Chevrolet problem and the cost should be covered by Chevrolet. Please advise your thoughts."

I am not looking for technical assistance from anybody. What I want to address is why Chevrolet told me I needed to buy expensive phones that don't work with the car and then want me to pay them to fix their issue.

RCTurner said:
I have posted this twice before on this part of the forum but somehow is seems to end up on the technical section of this forum and that isn't where I want it to be.

My original inquiry to Chevrolet was:

"When I got my Bolt I was told by On Star that I needed a new high performance phone if I wanted to use the apps. I bought a new Samsung S9 at their recommendation (I refuse to own an IPhone) There is still a problem getting the phone to sync up with the car. On Star is still working on that issue. However, the real problem surfaced when I tried to charge the new phone wirelessly. It doesn't work. When I went to the dealer, I was told that the wireless charger was not compatable with this phone. It would cost about $100 in parts plus installation. I find this extremely irratating and would suggest that this is a Chevrolet problem and the cost should be covered by Chevrolet. Please advise your thoughts."

I am not looking for technical assistance from anybody. What I want to address is why Chevrolet told me I needed to buy expensive phones that don't work with the car and then want me to pay them to fix their issue.

The Samsung Galaxy S9 should wirelessly charge in your Bolt EV as this phone supports the Qi wireless charging standard.

Also, from the Bolt EV user manual, it clearly states:
Wireless Charging
The vehicle may have a wireless charging pocket outside the armrest
of the center console. The system operates at 145 kHz and wirelessly
charges one Qi compatible mobile device. The power output of the
system is capable of charging at a rate up to 3 amp (19.5W), as requested
by the compatible mobile device.

Now, either your car does not have this option (in the LT trim for example) or your wireless charging system is defective in the car.

As a side note, since Android Auto does not work wirelessly (and the Bolt still doesn't support wireless Apple CarPlay neither), there is no real use for the wireless charging since, to benefit from the phone integration, you need to connect it through the USB port.

The Samsung Galaxy S9 should wirelessly charge in your Bolt EV as this phone supports the Qi wireless charging standard./quote]

Not per GM. It would be an upgrade that would have to be done at my expense. The manual can say whatever it wants, the S9 is not supported from the factory.

RCTurner said:
The Samsung Galaxy S9 should wirelessly charge in your Bolt EV as this phone supports the Qi wireless charging standard./quote]

Not per GM. It would be an upgrade that would have to be done at my expense. The manual can say whatever it wants, the S9 is not supported from the factory.
I don't want to be rude but this just doesn't make sense. The Qi standard has nothing to do with GM. Since the Galaxy S9 charges properly on Qi compatible mats, it could be a GM issue.

Meanwhile, I found this GM document that describes phones that are supported. Funny. Your phone is there.
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...ts/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

You should ask them more questions. Ultimately, change dealer.

I don't want to be rude but this just doesn't make sense. The Qi standard has nothing to do with GM. Since the Galaxy S9 charges properly on Qi compatible mats, it could be a GM issue.

You are not being rude but you are beating a dead horse. GM says it won't work and it doesn't.

My post was not intended to figure out how to charge my phone, it was intended to ask Chevrolet how the proliferation of incorrect information is my problem and not theirs and as such their responsibility.

1) A random employee of OnStar told you - you spoke to the wrong one,

2) "ChevyCustomerCare" hasn't been participating in this forum for over a year, so your request (if it really is meant for Chevy) is going to fall on deaf ears.

Read this : http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6747

If they don't answer any longer, why is "Ask Chevrolet" still listed on this forum? Is there hope that they will return? It looks as if it is being monitored by someone. :?:

Try the four possible orientations* of the phone in the wireless charging pocket. The location of the wireless charging hardware on some phones may only work in some orientations.

* the four possible orientations:
screen toward driver, right side up
screen toward passenger, right side up
screen toward driver, upside down
screen toward passenger, upside down

Back