oilerlord

Re: Global warming ...

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

IMAdolt wrote:It's always more beneficial to re-use rather than replace.

It is. We get so hypnotized by shiny things we tend to forget our three R's.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

Hank

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 pm

No flaw--when it comes to individual choices, that's all one person can do. The value of my not littering is not diminished just because other people litter.

Now, when it comes to what we should do collectively, through our governments, that's much trickier.

Cheers, Wayne

summit

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 pm

on the topic of personal CO2 footprint accounting, it is surprising how much of an impact one can do, similar to Oilerlord's situation. I use a rough percentage for a typical US American, our footprint is roughly 34% vehicles, 33% residence and 33% the remainder (air travel, food, work offices ....). Obviously the fraction is different for location as well as personal situation. I believe it's 40% for vehicle in California.

In theory, one can generate sufficient roof-top power to cover the first 2 categories: EVs, residence heatpump for heating & hot water, insulation etc... The remaining third can roughly be addressed with food choices, less consumption, recycling, turn office lights off etc.... The idea is not to reduce the footprint to zero, but to minimize it.

The low hanging fruit is obviously EV, then residential.

Return to “Off-Topic”