Apple Car Play Navigation

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

I tried connecting my iPhone 6 to the Bolt for the first time the other day, wanting to try out the navigation function. Although I didn't go much further than watching the map on the dash screen, (using the iPhone's native mapping app) it appears like it'll work well.

I laid the phone on the dash, so it had a clear view of the sky, with the top of the phone pointing forward. Seems to me that's about optimum. However, there was nothing keeping the phone from sliding right off the dash.

What do others do to use the phone for navigation? Am I on the right track, or am I overthinking things? I understand that one can use Google Maps and Wayz apps also, is that true? Do you program your destination strictly by voice?

FWIW: I have had my Bolt for 13 months/18000 miles and love it more every day. My only real complaint is the seat(s). It's quite gratifying to see how well thought-out the car is, particularly the controls. Except for the "shift lever", that's not so good.

I plug my Samsung Galaxy S7 into the USB port in the centre console and put it top down into the charging slot (so that the USB port points up). Then I bring up Google Maps under Android Auto to navigate. To the best of my knowledge it really doesn't matter where the phone is or how it's oriented, since you don't have to look at the phone itself to see the map on the Infotainment centre screen.

I'll try that, but will have to remove my sunglasses that are stored there. :)

Tried navigating this afternoon: it showed the map just fine, with the preferred route in bold, along with 2 alternates. It did NOT give me any voice turn-by-turn directions, which was a bit disappointing. I probably need to add some instructions when I do this. It took me a couple of tries to get the correct syntax, which was "directions to [address]". Naturally, I was navigating to a place I have been before. Will have to play some more before I really need it.

I can't speak for CarPlay, but under Android Auto I say "OK Google ... Navigate to <address>". When navigation is active there's a speaker icon displayed above the next navigation instruction on the screen that you can press to enable or disable voice commands.

The first thing I do when I get into the car is to slide my phone into the charging slot and hook up the USB cable. I have a little short 6" cable that after a few uses has formed itself into a shape where the cable's plug just naturally hangs next to the phone's USB socket, so it's super easy to connect without even having to look at it. Then I bring up Google Maps even when I know exactly where I'm going and I'm not even using the navigation feature. I do this because I get to see traffic info and road closures, and even if I come across some impediment that Google Maps wasn't able to warn me about it just takes a second's glance at the screen to see if that turnoff just ahead provides an alternate path that I could take instead. It's just so handy to have that info sitting right there all the time without having to drag the phone out in the middle of trying to drive.

I also often use navigation even when I'm taking a route I know very well - I do that because Google Maps shows me the ETA to the destination and I find that to be super useful. The ETA takes traffic into consideration, and I've found it to be very accurate in almost all circumstances. It eliminates all the stress you feel when you're not sure if you're going to make it where you're going in time or not.

I also keep my iPhone 6+ in the charging slot.

After almost two years of using Apple Maps, I am now very excited to be able to use Waze. Now I can read the street names, as well as the other benefits of Waze.

I have no complaints with the seat; I actually feel a good lumbar effect on my back.

As a matter of fact, many times I pull over, park, put the seat back and take a comfortable nap!

I've used the iPhone to navigate to several places, a couple of which were unfamiliar to me. The method I used was to hold the "talk" button until I heard the "ding", then say, "navigate to [address]". It would then do voice turn-by-turn. If a business is right on the route, I can say, "navigate to [business name on this street" and it'll do the job.

Phone goes into the cup holder these days, seems to work fine.

Since I wanted an optional Nav already installed in the car, like the Chevy Volt; I will be a happier camper when Apple CarPlay is wireless!!!

Back