BoBattery failure - How good is the warranty going to be?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
Batteries don't have any sort of output that says "this is my % state of charge". They have +, - and maybe temperature. You can definitely get the voltage, but that's doesn't by itself cleanly map to a % SoC.

There are academic papers published recently on how to improve SoC estimateion. This isn't a solved subject. Battery chemistry isn't simple.

The temperature you get is the case temperature. The temperature you need is the junction or electrode temperature. The two are only the same if the battery has been sitting idle for a long period of time. Which isn't while driving.

cwerdna said:
Sorry, I'm not an EE, chemist nor battery engineer, so I'll have to defer to people w/more knowledge.

I am an EE, and used to share an office with a real battery engineer. Cwerdna has it correct, as far as I know.

I have recently experienced full charges mile Ranges of 261, and most recently 278. Should I be concerned that the battery may be "overcharging" thus impacting expected life of battery ?

trillguy said:
I have recently experienced full charges mile Ranges of 261, and most recently 278. Should I be concerned that the battery may be "overcharging" thus impacting expected life of battery ?

Nope. You are seeing increasing numbers because you are driving increasingly more efficiently. The car is just updating its estimates accordingly. So good job, keep up the good driving, and enjoy your Bolt!

trillguy said:

It is not possible to "overcharge" your battery, the on board charge controller won't do it. It will charge less than full in Hilltop mode and can be set for charge percentage from 40%-100% on 2019 (and presumably newer) Bolts.

Back