What MPGe are you getting?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterescape

Curious what other folks are getting. I have had the car for six months and 4K miles.
When I log into https://my.chevrolet.com it shows my "lifetime efficiency" @ 28 Kwh/100mi

To convert kW/100 miles to MPGe divide 3370 with your kWH/100 miles
Example: 3370/28 = 120.36 MPGe for me so far.

With the cold weather arriving, and my climate settings taking a larger portion of my energy consumed, I expect it will drop off soon...
I do like the heated seats and heated steering wheel! :D

We are averaging 5 miles / kWh, that is ~200 Wh / mile, or 168MPGe. That includes almost half highway driving. We just passed 4,000 miles today; less than 2 months since we got it.

I started out getting the full 238+ with my Bolt but have had a noticeable loss of mileage lately. I seem to be getting 200 miles per charge and sometimes less. I fully charged (no Hilltop Reserve since I knew I would need a full charge) yesterday and, after a 197 mile trip limped home with (as best I could tell) a 1 mile charge left. The temp was 31 degrees but I did not use the heat. I had the heated seat on for most of the trip.

I traveled at approximately 70 mph for half of the trip and 55 mph on the way back (round trip). Does the outside temp truly make such a difference in mileage? A 20% reduction in milage seems off to me.

At what point do I take this to a dealer to have it checked?

Thanks for your responses.

Your range sounds fine. The temperature factors in but even more so the speed. You’re using exponentially more power at 70 than 55. You must have steady nerves to drive it that low. Do you recall at what mileage you got the CVS and PPR warnings?

winterescape said:
Curious what other folks are getting. I have had the car for six months and 4K miles.
When I log into https://my.chevrolet.com it shows my "lifetime efficiency" @ 28 Kwh/100mi

To convert kW/100 miles to MPGe divide 3370 with your kWH/100 miles
Example: 3370/28 = 120.36 MPGe for me so far.

With the cold weather arriving, and my climate settings taking a larger portion of my energy consumed, I expect it will drop off soon...
I do like the heated seats and heated steering wheel! :D

I drive a lot at 65-70 when it’s 35F and I average just over 3m/kWh. Not really interested in mpge since without any gallons on board I never think about that.

randW said:
Does the outside temp truly make such a difference in mileage? A 20% reduction in milage seems off to me.

Subtract 1% from range for each 4F/2C below 70F/20C

From Tony's range chart for the Leaf. Note that this is battery temperature, not air temperature. Delta 40F implies 10% less energy.

Air density due to lower temperature, lower humidity. Used an air density calculator. About 7% denser air.

An 17% reduction due to just temperature. I would not bother the dealer.

Pile of notes: Leaf battery chemistry is different than Bolt's. I don't know the actual temperature air to battery relationships expected. Air drag isn't just a simple relationship with air density. And so on.

randW said:
I started out getting the full 238+ with my Bolt but have had a noticeable loss of mileage lately. I seem to be getting 200 miles per charge and sometimes less. I fully charged (no Hilltop Reserve since I knew I would need a full charge) yesterday and, after a 197 mile trip limped home with (as best I could tell) a 1 mile charge left. The temp was 31 degrees but I did not use the heat. I had the heated seat on for most of the trip.

I traveled at approximately 70 mph for half of the trip and 55 mph on the way back (round trip). Does the outside temp truly make such a difference in mileage? A 20% reduction in milage seems off to me.

At what point do I take this to a dealer to have it checked?

Thanks for your responses.

At 70 mph you will never get the rated 238 mile range, regardless of the outside temperature.

I have been driving it for 3 weeks now and the average efficiency is only 35 Kwh/100mi. When I go to office, it was 80% highway driving for 12 miles at about 72 mph. When driven on highway at that speed, the range would drop like crazy, which is totally expected.

I have also noticed that, combined with the highway speed (70 mph), turning on Climate Control at 70 degrees would have a combined impact of 200% on the actual range. For example, if my round trip is 30 miles on high way, it would show that I have lost 30 x 200% = 60 miles when I get back, driving at about 70 mph and also turning on the Heater at 70 degrees.

Just reviewed my lifetime Avg. Using https://my.chevrolet.com/ it reports Lifetime = 32 Kwh/100 mi at about 15k miles since June 2017. Spirited driving style, cabin temp of 74 in the winter, and frequent use of the heated seats and heated steering wheel. 3370 / 32 = 105.3MPGe

The web site updates that now include bar charts and ability to export data is fantastic.

I would encourage others to share efficiency at fueleconomy.gov to help folks in the market for an EV understand real world efficiency results and make fuel cost comparisons. It is fast and easy to set up an account and given that GM tracks lifetime economy for us easy to post your results.

Thanks for posting. The MyChevy app reports total miles (16,686) and lifetime 3.7 miles/kWh. FuelEconomy.gov provides this conversion: 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh. Using that, I calculate 125 MPGe. I estimate my driving is 90% freeway, and I typically stay below 70 mph. Most of the use is in the Central Valley, Bay Area, and the Sierras.

I posted that on FuelEconomy.gov. I see reports from two other Bolt owners.

The learning curve of predicting driving range going from an ICE to an EV is as great as going from a big truck ICE to a compact ICE. There's just so much variance one has to do the work and the math himself to have any confidence in his expectations.

In our northern tier, over the course of the year, the outside temps vary 100 degrees. For our October-May use, plugging in at night, so as to be able to condition the battery and the interior while on the grid should be SOP.

Then, there's urban versus highway percentages. That EV range drops more precipitously as speed increases than does a typical ICE is a rude shock to most who aren't willing to drive 55. That EV range increases more during urban stop-and-go where an ICE decreases is a pleasant surprise.

GM has included a somewhat useless energy use logarithm which includes "Terrain" and "Climate" to furnish a net score. We live on a hilltop and in a climate where it gets hot and cold; it would be interesting to know why GM thought we'd need alerted to that and that those reduce range.

jack vines

I haven't checked mine lately but, it is currently 10 degrees below zero, the wind is out of the north at 24 miles per hour and it is colder than humans and their cars should normally have to endure. With the conditioning using either the battery electricity or the wall chargers electricity, my car is nice and warm when I am ready to use it. My range remains acceptable and the car works flawlessly inspite of the temp. I love the HVAC system and how it functions except the bias towards the dash vents. In my case, I would prefer more bias towards the floor and less on the dash vents. Manual selection of the floor vents takes care of this issue.

I always get exactly the mileage / range advertised: 238 miles per charge, when in ideal weather conditions, which is exactly the weather condition used to form the advertised ratings.

This car works as advertised. Period.

Back