DCFC's come to Interstate-5... finally!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoltEV

The Bolt EV is now Interstate-5 Northern/Southern California friendly as the ChargePoint @ the Chevron Coalinga station is reported by user comments as open and operational on Plugshare:

Located on the western exit of the Highway 198 interchange, the opposite side of the freeway from Harris Ranch, it is reported to have:

Three 50kW DC stations with both CHAdeMO and CCS + dual port Level 2 station

MODs: why am I seemingly unable to upload and post a photo?

384772.jpg

https://www.plugshare.com/location/179428

Yes, that is the photo I downloaded from Plugshare and tried to upload as part of my message, as an "attachment."

How did you get it to work for you?

BoltEV said:
Yes, that is the photo I downloaded from Plugshare and tried to upload as part of my message, as an "attachment."

How did you get it to work for you?
Open Plugshare, click on the photo, right click the photo and select "Copy Image Address", Paste in the post as Img image HTML address.

384117.jpg

Excellent news!

This puts things back in perspective for me. I have been frustrated by the glacial pace of infrastructure deployment. But I live in upstate NY, not California. CA is the epicenter of EV adoption in the US, and you are only just now connecting LA to SF.

Meanwhile, EA is looking to have hundreds of multi-port QCs throughout the country in 5 short months. Things are about to get real.

GetOffYourGas said:

Meanwhile, EA is looking to have hundreds of multi-port QCs throughout the country in 5 short months. Things are about to get real.

If only they worked! (many, many reports of their DCFCs not working, having to call to get them rebooted, etc. - across the nation)

Hopefully just teething issues. I am willing to give them a little time to sort it out and get better. But I feel you. Nothing is worse than expecting a QC to be ready for you only to find that it is out of order and you have to go somewhere else. Especially if that "somewhere else" is L2.

GetOffYourGas said:
Hopefully just teething issues. I am willing to give them a little time to sort it out and get better. But I feel you. Nothing is worse than expecting a QC to be ready for you only to find that it is out of order and you have to go somewhere else. Especially if that "somewhere else" is L2.

Oh yes, there is worse. Not from personal experience, mind you. How about an overnight at a campground with 120V charging?

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Oh yes, there is worse. Not from personal experience, mind you. How about an overnight at a campground with 120V charging?

But that's exactly what I was talking about. Imagine travelling in your EV, expecting to stop for 30-60 minutes at a QC, only to find it is out of order. So what do you do? Plan B - L2. But that's out of order or out of range. Then what? Beg for access to a 120V outlet for the night maybe? And what if you don't happen to be prepared for camping overnight?

You and I are saying the same thing, you simply took the train of thought farther than I did.

keijidosha said:
Open Plugshare, click on the photo, right click the photo and select "Copy Image Address", Paste in the post as Img image HTML address.
Yes, thank you.

But that solution only works for images already posted on the Internet. I cannot get small jpeg files on my computer to upload and post.

Any suggestions for that problem?

GetOffYourGas said:
Excellent news!CA is the epicenter of EV adoption in the US, and you are only just now connecting LA to SF.
Actually I have been driving up to Northern California using Hiways 101 or 99 up to this point.

But now we have access the the "diagonally" routed Interstate 5 that avoids slowdowns through many cities.

GetOffYourGas said:
I carry the AV TurboCord with 3 240v adapters so that I can always charge with any 120v or 240v outlet I come across, especially in case of an emergency situation.

BoltEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Excellent news!CA is the epicenter of EV adoption in the US, and you are only just now connecting LA to SF.
Actually I have been driving up to Northern California using Hiways 101 or 99 up to this point.

But now we have access the the "diagonally" routed Interstate 5 that avoids slowdowns through many cities.

Thanks for the clarification. Still, opening up I-5 sounds like a big step for the state.

BoltEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
<span>I carry the AV <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=TurboCord&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">TurboCord</a> with 3 240v adapters so that I can always charge with any 120v or 240v outlet I come across, especially in case of an emergency situation.</span>

This is the kind of thing I strive to avoid. Thankfully, there are enough L2s around that I shouldn't have to ever resort to this. L2s are not the kind of thing you plan on using on a trip, but they make a reasonable Plan B (and C, and D...) as you often need with EVs today.

WetEV said:
How about an overnight at a campground with 120V charging?
Most campgrounds would be able to give you a 240V/30A or 240V/50A hookup, the latter of which will charge the car at full L2 speed. That's exactly why I carry a TeslaTap with a Tesla UMC and several AC cords for it.

SeanNelson said:
WetEV said:
How about an overnight at a campground with 120V charging?
Most campgrounds would be able to give you a 240V/30A or 240V/50A hookup, the latter of which will charge the car at full L2 speed. That's exactly why I carry a TeslaTap with a Tesla UMC and several AC cords for it.

"30 Amp" at campgrounds is usually 120V TT-30.

"50 Amp" at campground is usually 240V 50 Amp.

GetOffYourGas said:
BoltEV said:
Thanks for the clarification. Still, opening up I-5 sounds like a big step for the state.
Yes: opening up Interstate-5 should also be a big deal for those driving from Southern California to Oregon.

GetOffYourGas said:
BoltEV said:
<span>I carry the AV <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=TurboCord&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">TurboCord</a> with 3 240v adapters so that I can always charge with any 120v or 240v outlet I come across, especially in case of an emergency situation.</span>
This is the kind of thing I strive to avoid. Thankfully, there are enough L2s around that I shouldn't have to ever resort to this. L2s are not the kind of thing you plan on using on a trip, but they make a reasonable Plan B (and C, and D...) as you often need with EVs today.
If you are doing serious long distance driving, you must carry some option to do both 120/240. Sean, above, suggests the Tesla Tap.

I have been in situations where 240 worked: such as staying at a family member's home in San Diego County and connecting with my 240v extension cord and adapter to their garage dryer outlet; and one or two motels have let me plugin to their dryer outlet for overnight use at 240v.

The Lawrence Welk Resort, in the middle of nowhere in San Diego County, let me plug into their 120v outlet (@ 12 A) for their electric carts, which worked out quite well, since I stayed there for two days and nights and left it charging that whole time. [/quote]

Back