Chevrolet maintenance schedule for the 2017 Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

Full owners manual available here

Here's the overview of the maintenance schedule for the Bolt EV. Pretty simple!
Rotate tires, replace the cabin air filter, and a coolant flush every 150,000 miles - everything else is outside of routine maintenance!

Here's a comparison of the Bolt EV maintenance schedule vs the Cruz maintenance:
maintnance-Chevrolet-Bolt-vs-Chevrolet-Cruze.jpg

klaus said:
Rotate tires, replace the cabin air filter, and a coolant flush every 150,000 miles - everything else is outside of routine maintenance!
To be fair, a Bolt is going to need more than routine maintenance to go 150,000 miles due to all the wear items. The maintenance schedule covers those by "inspect xxxx every yyy miles". When you inspect it and it needs replacement, well duh it needs to be replaced.

For example, at 15,000 miles per year it will take over 10 years to go 150,000 miles. In that time you're likely to have to replace the 12V battery a couple of times. And there's nothing magic about many of the other systems in the Bolt as well.

It's true that there's a lot of stuff you won't need to worry about in the Bolt, but you'll still be visiting the shop every so often.

SeanNelson said:
klaus said:
To be fair, a Bolt is going to need more than routine maintenance to go 150,000 miles due to all the wear items. The maintenance schedule covers those by "inspect xxxx every yyy miles". When you inspect it and it needs replacement, well duh it needs to be replaced.

For example, at 15,000 miles per year it will take over 10 years to go 150,000 miles. In that time you're likely to have to replace the 12V battery a couple of times. And there's nothing magic about many of the other systems in the Bolt as well.

It's true that there's a lot of stuff you won't need to worry about in the Bolt, but you'll still be visiting the shop every so often.
You've kind of sidetracked into wear items or even repair. Yes, tires and wiper blades will need to be replaced as they wear out. Brakes will likely (eventually) need to be done. 12 V batteries don't last forever.

The point is the routine maintenance schedule - stuff that has to happen at a specified time/mileage.

DucRider said:
The point is the routine maintenance schedule - stuff that has to happen at a specified time/mileage.
Sure, but I think some people get the idea that it's "no maintenance", and that's certainly not the case. Those whose expectations have been set realistically generally tend to be happier people, in my experience.

GetOffYourGas said:
Rotate tires, if recommended for the vehicle, and perform Required Services.

Any clue what is encompassed by "Required Services"?
pg 312 of the owners manual:
Tire Rotation and Required
Services Every 12 000 km/
7,500 mi
Rotate the tires, if recommended for
the vehicle, and perform the
following services. See Tire
Rotation 0 281.
. Check vehicle coolant level.
. Check windshield washer fluid
level. See Washer Fluid 0 255.
. Visually inspect windshield wiper
blades for wear, cracking,
or contamination. See Exterior
Care 0 301. Replace worn or
damaged wiper blades. See
Wiper Blade Replacement
0 259.
. Check tire inflation pressures.
See Tire Pressure 0 276.
. Inspect tire wear. See Tire
Inspection 0 281.
. Visually check for fluid leaks.
. Inspect brake system. See
Exterior Care 0 301.
. Visually inspect steering,
suspension, and chassis
components for damaged, loose,
or missing parts or signs of
wear. See Exterior Care 0 301.
. Check restraint system
components. See Safety System
Check 0 67.
. Lubricate body components. See
Exterior Care 0 301.
. Check accelerator pedal for
damage, high effort, or binding.
Replace if needed.
. Visually inspect gas strut for
signs of wear, cracks, or other
damage. Check the hold open
ability of the strut. See your
dealer if service is required.
. Check tire sealant expiration
date, if equipped. See Tire
Sealant and Compressor Kit
0 289.

Pretty standard list, it seems. Of course many of those things will require service long before 150,000 miles even though it's not a "regularly scheduled" service. It's only done as needed. Should be no more / no less than any ICE vehicle.

Bad taste to write about other EVs, I know.....
but my experience for more than 3 years with an electric Fiat 500 has been that the
maintenance is close to zero.
The first required maintenance was at 20,000 miles.
The factory tires were crap, so I replaced those with really good ones.
Other than that I have had the car in 3 times (including the 20,000 mile thing).
There were a couple of recalls/software downloads.
And that was that.

I have never experienced any problems with either the Fiat or the Leaf.
Admittedly, I don't much like the Leaf, but that is a matter of personal preference.

I'm looking forward to the Bolt....hopefully soon...groan.

It looks to me that, barring something going wrong, I should take my Bolt into the shop for routine checks and tire rotation at 7500 miles. But I got an email from the dealer saying my first recommended (requred?) inspection was at 5K. Should I ignore them and wait to 7500, assuming nothing goes wrong with the car that needs attention?

Tarrngtn said:
It looks to me that, barring something going wrong, I should take my Bolt into the shop for routine checks and tire rotation at 7500 miles. But I got an email from the dealer saying my first recommended (requred?) inspection was at 5K. Should I ignore them and wait to 7500, assuming nothing goes wrong with the car that needs attention?

Dealers looking for service revenue often recommend more or more frequent maintenance than the manufacturer does. For most drivers, the manufacturer recommendation is sufficient.

We had a similar experience. Our dealership sent a notice recommending changeout of the 2017 Chevy Bolt's brake fluid at the 25,000 mile mark. I've never before heard of an almost new vehicle needing the brake fluid changed as a matter of routine maintenance re: without having the brakes themselves actually serviced if needed. Routine brake fluid changeout is not shown as needed in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule of the car's owner's manual. We challenged our dealership's suggestion based on review of the owner's manual and our dealership quickly relented on the need for this item. Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware" !

pjwasho said:
We had a similar experience. Our dealership sent a notice recommending changeout of the 2017 Chevy Bolt's brake fluid at the 25,000 mile mark. I've never before heard of an almost new vehicle needing the brake fluid changed as a matter of routine maintenance re: without having the brakes themselves actually serviced if needed. Routine brake fluid changeout is not shown as needed in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule of the car's owner's manual. We challenged our dealership's suggestion based on review of the owner's manual and our dealership quickly relented on the need for this item. Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware" !

Yes, brake systems should be flushed and the brake fluid replaced. That you never heard of this doesn't mean it isn't a thing. How many miles and years before flushing is required is dependent on the system design, humidity and temperature. Hydraulic systems fail far sooner and more frequently in the humidity of the tropics than in the dry intermountain west.

Back in the bad old days of hydroscopic fluids and cheap design, the heat and 100% humidity in Vietnam would cause the hydraulic systems in US Army vehicles to fail within months. Just bolting on a new part without pressure flushing the lines with fresh fluid, the water entrained in the old fluid would kill the new part within months.

Having said this, some dealers are looking to run up the service bill and manufacturers don't often mention fluid flushing in required service, as most cars today will run past the warranty period and then it's the owners nickel for deferred brake system maintenance. So yes plan on having the brake fluid flushed at some point, even if no other brake service is required.

jack vines

https://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-requires-almost-no-maintenance-for-first-150000-miles/

" Oh, brake fluid replacement is recommended every 5 years, regardless of mileage "

http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/2016/12/the-chevy-bolt-ev-requires-zero_12.html

Chevrolet does recommend a coolant system flush @ 240,000 km (150,000 miles) and replacing the brake fluid every five years

Back