Safety issues

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevmar

First, is it true some audible warning feature when in reverse will be mandatory on all EV's made this year? If so, can it be retro-fitted to a 2017 Bolt?

Second, if you come to a stop using regen only are the brake lights only on during deceleration? Would be nice if they stayed on, or better flashed like on a F1 car, while stationary at an intersection.

Thanks

I don't know about the sound in reverse but, the brake lights are only on when you are slowing down and not when stopped in "L". From a general safety standpoint you should have your brake covered when stopped anyhow. Obviously, this will turn the lights on.

There is an artificial noise that is generated at low (parking lot) speeds. If you have the radio off and the windows down, you should be able to hear it while driving.

RCTurner said:
From a general safety standpoint you should have your brake covered when stopped anyhow. Obviously, this will turn the lights on.
Why?

I enjoy the habit of "one foot driving" that I have developed with my Bolt EV (so much so that I have to remember to train myself the opposite way when not driving an EV).

On a flat surface, L stays at a complete stop. So I do not move my foot over to the brake, unless, I need it to stop (fast deceleration) or on an incline.

BoltEV said:
RCTurner said:
From a general safety standpoint you should have your brake covered when stopped anyhow. Obviously, this will turn the lights on.
Why?

I enjoy the habit of "one foot driving" that I have developed with my Bolt EV (so much so that I have to remember to train myself the opposite way when not driving an EV).

On a flat surface, L stays at a complete stop. So I do not move my foot over to the brake, unless, I need it to stop (fast deceleration) or on an incline.

For safety reasons.
- So you don't get pushed into traffic (or the car in front of you) when you get rear-ended.
- So that you have big, red lights on the back of the vehicle as a "WAKE UP MORON - I AM STOPPED" sign.

Also, so a cop doesn't waste your time (and his) pulling you over to give you a fix it ticket for non-working brake lights. You won't get a ticket, but your time will be wasted. And if he's pissed, maybe he'll find another reason to give you a ticket.

BarfOMatic said:
BoltEV said:
RCTurner said:
Why?

For safety reasons.
- So you don't get pushed into traffic (or the car in front of you) when you get rear-ended. That point of view is a myth:

https://www.quora.com/What-should-y...as-you-can-Hold-brakes-lightly-Release-brakes
- So that you have big, red lights on the back of the vehicle as a "WAKE UP MORON - I AM STOPPED" sign. Another myth

Also, so a cop doesn't waste your time (and his) pulling you over to give you a fix it ticket for non-working brake lights. You won't get a ticket, but your time will be wasted. And if he's pissed, maybe he'll find another reason to give you a ticket.
I don't know about your jurisdiction, but most traffic officers are not looking to give out "fix-it" tickets with no legal basis to do so!

But thanks for the advice anyway! :)

I would think that "big, red lights on the back of the vehicle as a "WAKE UP MORON - I AM STOPPED" sign." can only help.

Why do you claim it is another myth?

And having to move your foot to the brake pedal when "one-footing" is certainly a pain.

This guy trolls me on this forum and makes all sorts of contrarian posts in response to mine!

He was suspended after the mods had to censor one of his posts:

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8444&p=33345#p33345

I didn't realize it was him on this thread, until I then read another contrarian post to another post of mine in another thread.

I just added him to my "foe" list and I am done with him!

trevmar said:
I would think that "big, red lights on the back of the vehicle as a "WAKE UP MORON - I AM STOPPED" sign." can only help.
People run into the back of buses and semitrailers stopped with their brake lights on. If you don't even notice the car itself, the brake lights may not help a lot. Their most important purpose is to tell people that you're slowing down. The best you can do to alert inattentive drivers that you're already stopped is to flash your brake lights in the hope that it will trigger their peripheral vision.

SeanNelson said:
trevmar said:
People run into the back of buses and semitrailers stopped with their brake lights on. If you don't even notice the car itself, the brake lights may not help a lot. Their most important purpose is to tell people that you're slowing down. The best you can do to alert inattentive drivers that you're already stopped is to flash your brake lights in the hope that it will trigger their peripheral vision.

On a freeway when coming to an unexpected traffic jam, flashing the hazard lights may be more noticeable to following drivers paying only marginal attention.

Agreed ! I hit the Flasher button fairly frequently on the freeway when I see brake lights ahead. In aviation, the first rule of safety is to make yourself noticeable in the air and on the ground to avoid accidents. The rule is very applicable to autos also.

Back