SeanNelson

Re: grey grilles on black car - alternatives?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:18 am

EldRick wrote:I asked the dealer body shop about replacing or spraying the "grilles" on my "black" Bolt.

They said that the black replacement grille would not match the car because the car has "sparkle" in the paint (I don't recall the technical term).

The grille is a separate design element so does it really have to match to that degree of detail? I mean, heck, if you didn't spray it at all then it's going to be mismatched a helluva lot more than just because it lacks the "sparkle".

BoltPatrick

Tue May 14, 2019 4:36 am

SeanNelson wrote:
EldRick wrote:I asked the dealer body shop about replacing or spraying the "grilles" on my "black" Bolt.

They said that the black replacement grille would not match the car because the car has "sparkle" in the paint (I don't recall the technical term).

The grille is a separate design element so does it really have to match to that degree of detail? I mean, heck, if you didn't spray it at all then it's going to be mismatched a helluva lot more than just because it lacks the "sparkle".

Yes I totally agree about the grille being a separate design element. And with the heck is that body shop painter talking about?- The difference between grey and black w/ sparkle is much greater than the difference between black w/o and black w/ sparkle.

I recommend VHT Nite-Shades then a clear coat to achieve grille blackening. I did my front and rear emblems and they look sweet! I did 3 lite coats of the VHT Nite-Shades and the gold just barely comes through in certain lighting conditions. I was planning on VHT Nite-Shades on the grilles but my upper grille got cracked from a rock and my lower grill has the license plate holes so I'm just going to replace them both with the black grilles.

Shambu31

Fri May 31, 2019 9:01 am

I think black will go better black car.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”