How to make the car follow the charging schedule?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joesmoe3

I have set the peak and off-peak times, and I have selected "Off-peak only" charging option.

I have selected "Departure" with the time for the following morning.

Yet when I plug in my Level 2 home charging, it starts charging immediately, and reports it'll soon be done.

What am I doing wrong ?

What do I need to do correctly to be able to plug in the car, have it check the time and say "Not yet, not yet" until the super off-peak time arrives and the car says, "O.k., now" ?

Short answer: solved.

Longer answer:

This UI is far inferior to that of the Nissan Leaf. That is so intuitive, and putting the driver in control - app works really well -- have not found any of that with the Bolt.

Specifically for this question: apparently -- and this is nowhere in the manual that I could find -- the charging schedule has to be filled in completely. That is, if 'Winter/Summer" is chosen, one must edit the 24 hour pie charts for the up-to-four-maximum rate periods (again, the LEAF allows settings arbitrarily over the full 24 hour period). Once that is done, apparently, only then do the other settings for "Home" and "Departure" charging take effect.

Since there is NO confirmation of any kind (another human machine interface design practice violated: lack of feedback) I can't be positive what truly caused the system to acknowledge the "Off-Peak only" setting, and show "Delayed charging" on the dash.

^^^
Thanks! I still have my '13 Leaf SV and through its nav system, the timers are pretty simple albeit a bit limited.

The ones on the Bolt look real complicated and I haven't bothered to use them once as I've not needed to charge it at home once yet. I guess I have something to look "forward" to...

I have set the peak and off-peak times, and I have selected "Off-peak only" charging option.

Yet when I plug in my Level 2 home charging, it starts charging immediately, and reports it'll soon be done.

What am I doing wrong ?

What do I need to do correctly to be able to plug in the car, have it check the time and say "Not yet, not yet" until the super off-peak time arrives and the car says, "O.k., now" ?
Same problem-fixed it! Turned off the location-based charging. Turns out if you’re not using Onstar (which I wasn’t), having location-based charging “on” will disable off peak charging. Who knew? It’s kinda a booby trap from GM.
Turn off location-based charging if not using Onstar.

What am I doing wrong ?

Turn off location-based charging if you don’t use Onstar. It interferes with off-peak charging if Onstar isn’t in use. Kind of an inadvertent booby trap by GM. It caught me!

Back