JVorbeck

Re: Trailer Hitch

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 am

I didn't want to do it either so I get where you are coming from. Don't fret about it too much because look https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... r-42590245

$150 gets you all shiney new again.

Kudos on your 8 to 10 plan, I'll see how long I can keep myself from that VW electric bus. I love the bolt but I have 27K miles in 18 months so that'll be some high mileage.

GetOffYourGas

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks for the link. That's not a big deal if I ever wanted to reverse it. Truth is, having a small 5" x 3.5" hole in the back bumper probably wouldn't bother me once it's there. It's just that initial cut.

Funny you mention the VW bus. My wife and I are eyeing that to replace her '15 CMax Energi. The basic idea is that we have two cars in the family, and alternate who gets a new car. So we keep the cars for 8-10 years and buy a new one every 4 or 5. So far it hasn't worked out that way (see also my signature :oops: ), but having two car payments has been a strain on our budget.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

NeilBlanchard

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Can you link to the wiring kit you used? Edit: found it - https://www.amazon.com/Curt-59236-Multi-Function-Taillight-Converter/dp/B010QCH7VG

Did you take pictures of the location you spliced into? Do all the lights work - taillight, turn signals, and brake lights? Do you have to open the hatch in order to get the lights to work?

The pictures don't show that you have a trailer license plate - I have that same trailer, and the plate drags very easily. I tried flipping the light (so you still light the plate) but the plate would have to stick out to the side; as it does't fit into the low rail.

JVorbeck

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 pm

All the lights work, yes.
No, in fact if you open the hatch the lights stop working because that's a different wire (ironically with the exact same wire color pattern). I have a PDF of the instructions for the wiring. But this message board doesn't allow me to attach anything. Not sure exactly how to get it to you. I could email it if you want to share your email address.
The license plate is zip tied to the vertical ramp/gate not the plate spot cause yeah, its a stupid design. A cop isn't going to hassle me about that trailer tag not being lit. Not where I live anyway.

Return to “Technical Discussions”